Propranolol Causing Insomnia

leighv

My doctor prescribed Propranolol and it does help with anxiety (which is through the roof) and my high blood pressure, however I get insomnia when I take it, even if it’s early in the morning when I take it. I’m also taking the lowest dose possible 10mg cut in half so basically 5mg. I’ve read it could deplete melatonin and to take it with melatonin, but melatonin makes me feel awful and wake up frequently as well. I’m wondering why this is occurring and if it will just go away after awhile or anything I can do to do balance it out with supplements.

redsun

My doctor prescribed Propranolol and it does help with anxiety (which is through the roof) and my high blood pressure, however I get insomnia when I take it, even if it’s early in the morning when I take it. I’m also taking the lowest dose possible 10mg cut in half so basically 5mg. I’ve read it could deplete melatonin and to take it with melatonin, but melatonin makes me feel awful and wake up frequently as well. I’m wondering why this is occurring and if it will just go away after awhile or anything I can do to do balance it out with supplements.
Its a known side effect. Of course I am sure you can take other things to maybe help reduce the insomnia or it may go away on its own with continued use. However it would be a good idea to start implementing some nutritional changes to reduce anxiety and high blood pressure. If you don't have good sources of zinc, calcium, and magnesium in your diet these are the first things I would try to reduce anxiety and blood pressure.

Red meat and dairy are the best options to increase zinc and calcium intake. You should try to get around 1000mg of calcium a day minimum. These minerals help reduce your nervous system sensitivity and also help reduce high catecholamine (norepinephrine, epinephrine) activity which are responsible for high BP and also contribute to anxiety.

exile

I’ve seen studies of propanolol raising cortisol. I think clonidine is similar to propanol and also lowers cortisol. Maybe that would work better for you or taking something alongside propanolol that lowers cortisol.

OP
L

leighv

Its a known side effect. Of course I am sure you can take other things to maybe help reduce the insomnia or it may go away on its own with continued use. However it would be a good idea to start implementing some nutritional changes to reduce anxiety and high blood pressure. If you don't have good sources of zinc, calcium, and magnesium in your diet these are the first things I would try to reduce anxiety and blood pressure.

Red meat and dairy are the best options to increase zinc and calcium intake. You should try to get around 1000mg of calcium a day minimum. These minerals help reduce your nervous system sensitivity and also help reduce high catecholamine (norepinephrine, epinephrine) activity which are responsible for high BP and also contribute to anxiety.
Thank you!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals