DaveFoster

Theanine is unparalleled in its safety, especially in conservative doses. Just look at all those deaths from drinking tea.

Withdrawals can cause anxiety, though, so it should be used sporadically or tapered when coming off.

ReSTART

Theanine is nice but I find you quickly gain tolerance if used too often and upping the dose doesn't do much, use only as needed.

Linux

@Ewlevy1 - Very interesting to say the least. Glad it's working for you. Thanks for your reply and best regards.

SQu

If anyone's interested, my list for keeping depression and anxiety at bay in trying circumstances this year has been these: gelatin, aspirin, b1, b3, tyrosine, p5p, magnesium, taurine, dhea 5mg+ pregnenolone 15 mg, (new), and theanine. But the magnesium and theanine work in minutes and are usually enough. If not, by taking the rest, (tyrosine a.m. only) after a few more minutes I'm good. I find the feelings of hopelessness, futility, meaninglessness so ghastly I'm very, very grateful to Ray and Haidut for the info.

tomisonbottom

Theanine has probably been my top 3 supplements I've ever tried...even more powerful than thyroid and cyproheptadine. It has been instrumental for helping me sleep; combining with androsterone has been the best sleep combination for myself so far!

I'm going more so based on the general response of, "high levels of energy during the day, sleep well at night and have high levels of optimism and visualizaions"

Theanine and cyproheptadine help me fall asleep. Androsterone has shown me similar effects...with all 3 it looks like I could directly be inhibiting histamine, serotonin, and estrogen

How much theanine do you take? What brand? Thanks!

Mito

Abstract

By comprehensively measuring changes in metabolites in the hippocampus of stress-loaded mice, we investigated the reasons for stress vulnerability and the effect of theanine, i.e., an abundant amino acid in tea leaves, on the metabolism. Stress sensitivity was higher in senescence-accelerated mouse prone 10 (SAMP10) mice than in normal ddY mice when these mice were loaded with stress on the basis of territorial consciousness in males. Group housing was used as the low-stress condition reference. Among the statistically altered metabolites, depression-related kynurenine and excitability-related histamine were significantly higher in SAMP10 mice than in ddY mice. In contrast, carnosine, which has antidepressant-like activity, and ornithine, which has antistress effects, were significantly lower in SAMP10 mice than in ddY mice. The ingestion of theanine, an excellent antistress amino acid, modulated the levels of kynurenine, histamine, and carnosine only in the stress-loaded SAMP10 mice and not in the group-housing mice. Depression-like behavior was suppressed in mice that had ingested theanine only under stress loading. Taken together, changes in these metabolites, such as kynurenine, histamine, carnosine, and ornithine, were suggested to be associated with the stress vulnerability and depression-like behavior of stressed SAMP10 mice. It was also shown that theanine action appears in the metabolism of mice only under stress loading.

Frankdee20

Why the cost variations so wide with Theanine ? Is it because some use L and D isomers ? Or mixed versions ? It fetches 15-90 dollars

Frankdee20

It says that theanine increases serotonin on this page (ie the link above that haidut references) ?
How significant can that possibly be ? It’s a structural similarity to Glutamate, and works mostly through that system, to increase GABA

Mito

It says that theanine increases serotonin on this page (ie the link above that haidut references) ?
09A5E5B0-C938-4276-A25F-42C3B33871E5.jpeg

AinmAnseo

Forum Supporter
Theanine has probably been my top 3 supplements I've ever tried...even more powerful than thyroid and cyproheptadine. It has been instrumental for helping me sleep; combining with androsterone has been the best sleep combination for myself so far!
Did you take 250 mg theanine with andro at bedtime?

AinmAnseo

Forum Supporter
Theanine completely controls depression and anxiety symptoms for me but I take more, 3-4x300mg spaced through the day, depending.It does make me want to nap but not so badly I can't function and it's worth it for not feeling so awful. I don't know where I'd be without it since magnesium alone stopped doing the job. Tyrosine and P5P+magnesium makes the effect even better. Thanks for the info!
That's about 1 g of theanine.
That did not affect your sleep?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals