Depth Of Voice (and Hormones)

Discussion in 'Scientific Studies' started by Wagner83, Mar 6, 2017.

1. Wagner83

Wagner83 Member

[Sex hormones and depth of voice in the male (author's transl)].
    [Article in German]
    Meuser W, Nieschlag.
    Abstract
    Correlations between sex hormone levels and the male depth of voice were investigated in 102 singers. As compared to tenor singers higher testosterone and lower oestradiol plasma concentrations were measured in bass and baritone singers. This resulted in higher testosterone/oestradiol ratios due to increased androgens in those with deeper voices. Deeper voices were associated with taller and heavier body build. In the young age group sexual activity was highest among the bass voices, in the middle and old age group tenors were most active. There were no depth of voice-related differences as regards the sequence and occurrence of different pubertal characteristics. Only future bass singers had an increased of acne. The results indicate that the different depths of the male voice are influenced by different concentrations of circulating sex hormones and also by the androgen sensitivity of the target organs.

No big news here but this is something that has annoyed me for some time, my voice has had quite a few changes of depth over time, depending on diet etc... Have you guys noticed things (voice, breathing exercises and hormones/prohormones aside) that help maintain your "normal" deeper voice? Have you noticed changes from a particular diet or exercise like sprinting, weight lifting?
    It seems like it would be a pretty clear and easy-to-monitor marker of androgenicity.

2. Bump!

I would love to have a better understanding of this too.

3. tankasnowgod

tankasnowgod Member

One of the best things for me personally was getting in better shape. After losing significant weight and becoming more active (mostly walking), I noticed I could talk longer without gasping for air. I record my voice pretty much daily as part of my job, so this was something that was very noticeable for me.

One of the easiest things you could do to make your voice deeper is "placement." Basically, speaking from your throat or chest. However, most speech pathologists do NOT recommend this, as it can be hard on your vocal cords and eventually lead to things like nodules. It's much more recommended to speak "through the mask," basically having your voice placed in your nasal cavity. Even with this placement, you can still sound more powerful by speaking slower and more deliberately.

4. JackHanma

JackHanma Member

My voice sometimes gets extremely deep, and has great fluctuation. Sometimes it's a manner of proper speaking, with the body tending towards speaking from the throat; causing a slightly higher voice, rather than speaking from the diaphragm, causing a much lower voice.
    Speaking loud helps to use your deeper voice. Doing ab exercises greatly helps. Sprinting and other intense oxygen exercises help. Practicing opera; holding notes for a long time help, as well as Mongolian throat singing.
    Otherwise I find cold showers greatly deepen the voice, eating an abundance of healthy food; butter, beef, potatoes and salt with some raw honey; if digested well can give an extremely deep voice.
    Combining with herbs like gingseng and ashwaghanda intensifies this effect.
    Combine with a cold shower and the various singing exercises, then do some sprints and the voice will make you sound like you hit a few more stages of puberty.

5. OP
    Wagner83

Wagner83 Member

Thanks, a few things I would have never thought about there (abs etc..).

6. Prosper

Prosper Member

This is incredibly anecdotal, and in general I'm a bit wary of some of the things the NoFap cult claims, but every time I ejaculate my voice loses some of its resonance and becomes muffled for a couple of days. I don't know if the change is significant enough for others to notice it, but I definitely find it easier to speak, articulate and get my voice heard in noisy places when I've abstained for a few days.

It also seems as if Peating has given my voice additional resonance and projection.

7. OP
    Wagner83

Wagner83 Member

It's interesting, while hormones obviously play a part, I think how congested (mucus etc..) and how relaxed the muscles are also play an important part. T is said to increase for a few days if one does not ejaculate so that could be your explanation. What do you mean by Peating, what is your diet like?

8. Prosper

Prosper Member

The bulk of my diet is milk, oj, white rice, carrots, cheese, coconut oil, butter and eggs along with a few supplements. I used to undereat and eat low carbs so the change is most likely just a result of normalized metabolism & hormonal balance rather than something magical within the diet itself.

9. OP
    Wagner83

Wagner83 Member

10. Regina

Regina Member

Oh, I can't keep up with all the (fun) reading here. But will say that I think Diamant puts your voice where it belongs without cumbersome vocalise.

11. GreekDemiGod

GreekDemiGod Member

Legit, that has also been my experience.