SHBG, Plasma, And Urinary Androgens In Weight Lifters After A Strength Training

Drareg

"Previous studies with different results have suggested that total and bioavailable testosterone levels are modified by physical exercise. Such changes may be related to modifications in cortisol levels and could be reflected in some urine androgens. To determine how weight lifting training may affect serum and urinary androgens, we measured total serum testosterone (T), cortisol, sex hormone binding globulin (SHBG) and urinary testosterone, epitestosterone, androsterone, and etiocholanolone, in a group of 19 elite weight lifters after 20 weeks of training. SHBG increased (from 27.5 +/- 9.5 to 34.7 +/- 8.1 nM, p < 0.05) whereas T/SHBGdecreased significantly (from 1.10 +/- 0.4 to 0.85 +/- 0.3, p < 0.05). Serum total testosterone and cortisol did not change significantly. In urine, androsterone and etiocholanolone decreased significantly, whereas testosterone and epitestosterone remained unchanged. Changes in T/SHBG were related positively with changes in urinary androgens (r = 0.680, p < 0.01), and changes in SHBG were negatively related with changes in urinary androgens (r = -0.578, p < 0.01). These results suggest that intense physical activity may have an influence on the elimination of androgenic hormones due mainly to changes in their transporting protein SHBG."

paymanz

How is it possible,it always been shown that weight lifting increases testosterone levels.

Koveras

How is it possible,it always been shown that weight lifting increases testosterone levels.

Probably the difference between untrained or moderately trained individuals and elite weightlifters.

Constatine

I think the answer is quite simple. Lifting increases tissue androgens, not blood androgens. For this reason I don't think people understand how much lifting really increases your testosterone levels. I mean just look at every gym guy ever, they have muscles yes, but they also have broad shoulders, jaws, full beards, etc.

paymanz

@Constatine tissue level topic is interesting.

And with last part you pointed to growth hormone increase in lifters?higher jaw...wider shoulders..?

Constatine

@Constatine tissue level topic is interesting.

And with last part you pointed to growth hormone increase in lifters?higher jaw...wider shoulders..?
Growth hormone and more prevalent androgenic traits. There is a reason children who participate in football throughout their childhood and into adulthood are much more androgenic looking than life long gamers.

OP
Drareg

Drareg

It's probably converted into other androgens so appears low.

Encai

"Previous studies with different results have suggested that total and bioavailable testosterone levels are modified by physical exercise. Such changes may be related to modifications in cortisol levels and could be reflected in some urine androgens. To determine how weight lifting training may affect serum and urinary androgens, we measured total serum testosterone (T), cortisol, sex hormone binding globulin (SHBG) and urinary testosterone, epitestosterone, androsterone, and etiocholanolone, in a group of 19 elite weight lifters after 20 weeks of training. SHBG increased (from 27.5 +/- 9.5 to 34.7 +/- 8.1 nM, p < 0.05) whereas T/SHBGdecreased significantly (from 1.10 +/- 0.4 to 0.85 +/- 0.3, p < 0.05). Serum total testosterone and cortisol did not change significantly. In urine, androsterone and etiocholanolone decreased significantly, whereas testosterone and epitestosterone remained unchanged. Changes in T/SHBG were related positively with changes in urinary androgens (r = 0.680, p < 0.01), and changes in SHBG were negatively related with changes in urinary androgens (r = -0.578, p < 0.01). These results suggest that intense physical activity may have an influence on the elimination of androgenic hormones due mainly to changes in their transporting protein SHBG."
What
from what I read it’s more that you cells become more responsive to the androgens

Gustav3Y

I think the answer is quite simple. Lifting increases tissue androgens, not blood androgens. For this reason I don't think people understand how much lifting really increases your testosterone levels. I mean just look at every gym guy ever, they have muscles yes, but they also have broad shoulders, jaws, full beards, etc.

You mean to say the most "talented" or "predisposed" is given as an example how androgenic lifting is?
Yes obviously not everyone is that way.

OP
Drareg

Drareg

What

from what I read it’s more that you cells become more responsive to the androgens

Looking back on this now it’s good to keep in mind what Peat has said recently about SHBG, mainly it keeps estrogen out of the cell I think? Many believe lowering it is good, i know some people who tried this and got the opposite effect of raised androgens, more like lowered DHT symptoms.

The above commenters make some good points, what is also a possibility is that estrogen is being stimulated for growth reasons in the muscle, @haidut has posted studies on here indicating estrogen may be behind the excessive growth of some bodybuilders. It does say however the SHBG is negatively correlated with excreted androgens.
Blood albumin would have been a good thing to measure here also.

MatheusPN

Looking back on this now it’s good to keep in mind what Peat has said recently about SHBG, mainly it keeps estrogen out of the cell I think? Many believe lowering it is good, i know some people who tried this and got the opposite effect of raised androgens, more like lowered DHT symptoms.

The above commenters make some good points, what is also a possibility is that estrogen is being stimulated for growth reasons in the muscle, @haidut has posted studies on here indicating estrogen may be behind the excessive growth of some bodybuilders. It does say however the SHBG is negatively correlated with excreted androgens.
Blood albumin would have been a good thing to measure here also.
Hans also has an article about it.
Why free testosterone isn't everything » MENELITE
"To sum it up, SHBG:
Inhibits androgen clearance by the liver
Amplifies androgens function
Increases total, and slightly free, testosterone
Decreases total, and slightly free, estrogen
slows the rate of T uptake into the cerebrospinal fluid during non-equilibrium conditions, protecting the tissue from androgen overload."

OP
Drareg

Drareg

Hans also has an article about it.
Why free testosterone isn't everything » MENELITE
"To sum it up, SHBG:
Inhibits androgen clearance by the liver
Amplifies androgens function
Increases total, and slightly free, testosterone
Decreases total, and slightly free, estrogen
slows the rate of T uptake into the cerebrospinal fluid during non-equilibrium conditions, protecting the tissue from androgen overload."

Very good thanks.
I’m thinking SHBG releases testosterone once the environment stimulates its release, weight lifting etc ,testosterone is then free but possibly converted to estrogen if excessive exercise is induced.
It’s interesting then to think about why free testosterone is there "free" ,maybe this testosterone is used mainly for estrogen conversion, reduction of metabolic rate emergency response mode needs to be the primary function.

It’s possible then to stimulate testosterones release from SHBG and use aromatase inhibition as Hans mentions, seems like a better path than injecting to increase free testosterone which seems to give an estrogenic like appearance when excessive IMO

I think this SHBG issue is something we don’t fully understand on here or maybe we do, just inhibit aromatase?

Exemestane was used here albeit in women but it shows a lowering of SHBG but increase in testosterone
A Randomized, Placebo-Controlled, Phase II, Presurgical Biomarker Trial of Celecoxib Versus Exemestane in Postmenopausal Breast Cancer Patients - PubMed
"Exemestane significantly increased testosterone [median change 0.21 ng/mL, (IQR 0.12-0.35)], decreased SHBG [median change -14.6 nmol/L, (IQR -23.1 to -8.6)"

Another study here showing a similar effect with exemestane, decreased SHBG and increased testosterone ,tamoixfen increased SHBG and decreased testosterone in women again, maybe the effects are different in males?
-Effects of exemestane and tamoxifen on hormone levels within the Tamoxifen Exemestane Adjuvant Multicentre (TEAM) trial: results of a German substudy - PubMed

"Data on hormone levels were available from 63 patients in the tamoxifen arm and 68 patients in the exemestane arm. Treatment with exemestane resulted in decreases from baseline in SHBG and PTH-intact levels, and increases from baseline in testosterone, DHEAS and FSH levels. Tamoxifen treatment resulted in increases from baseline in SHBG and PTH-intact, whereas levels of testosterone and FSH decreased and DHEAS levels did not change. At all time points assessed, the absolute change from baseline was significantly different between tamoxifen and exemestane for testosterone, SHBG, FSH and PTH-intact (all p < 0.0001)"

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals