Frequent Fluctuations Of Voice Depth And Power

Yasin

Hi guys,

Very frequently, I have fluctuations in the depth and power of my voice. Sometimes it has deep resonance and other times it sounds higher and less bassier. I'm definitely not imagining this. I've looked into what the reason for this could be and concluded it could be hormone fluctuations despite the commonly accepted stance that "your voice can't change after puberty".

My theory is that normal/high testosterone levels = relaxed vocal chords. Low testosterone levels = tighter vocal chords.

However, the strange thing is that despite getting excellent quality and quantity of sleep, my voice can still sound higher and less bassier in the morning. Whilst for me there is a clear correlation with the quality and quantity of sleep and my voice depth/power, it's not always the case. As stated before even if I get good quality sleep, my voice can end up less "bassier".

I was frustrated with this voice fluctuation issue and then looked into the Ray Peat forums for anything relevant. I found a thread regarding deepening the voice and one poster said he started taking Vitamin K2 and rubbing salt to warm his hands. This helped him have a deeper voice all day. I then thought, could it be vitamin deficiencies causing these fluctutations. Immediately, i got a cheap multi-vitamin which includes the following vitamins.

Nutrition Information:

Typical Values Per Daily Dose %NRV
Vitamin A 400ug RE 50%
Vitamin D 5ug 100%
Vitamin E 12mg a-TE 100%
Vitamin K 75ug 100%
Vitamin C 80mg 100%

Thiamine 1.1mg 100%
Riboflavin 1.4mg 100%
Niacin 16mg NE 100%
Vitamin B6 1.4mg 100%
Folic Acid 200ug 100%
Vitamin B12 2.5ug 100%
Biotin 50ug 100%
Pantothenic Acid 6mg 100%

The next day (today) after taking the multi-vitamin, I woke up with a deeper, bassier voice and it's remaining throughout the day. I then thought to myself, it's just placebo probably.

Has anyone else had lots of voice depth fluctuations ?

How did you maintain your deeper voice ?

I will monitor how my voice depth is after taking multi-vitamin daily.

biffbelvin

My voice depth varies throughout the day all the time.

I'd say the biggest impact is social context (which is normal). The next biggest is my breathing. I will generally sound more higher pitched/breathless/panicky when i'm not breathing smoothly and properly, either due to poor posture, being sedentary or experiencing acute stress (such as when i'm at work).

Supplementation to specifically deepen the voice sounds like an awful idea but I imagine it's something that would improve when one improves their health generally as well as their resilience to stress etc.

If it's really of great discomfort, maybe a voice coach would be best as they will probably teach you appropriate breathing exercises.

SOMO

Not to belittle your issue, but there may be a psychological aspect your voice fluctuations.

I don't think you should look to nutrition/diet first for voice issues, except perhaps avoiding dairy. Singers are often recommended to avoid dairy before performing because it forms a sort of mucus in the throat that can affect voice clarity. Is it possible your voice tone is affected because of mood, stress and the situation in which you have to speak? Some people naturally lower their voice when speaking to doctors, for example, because doctors tend to exert authoritarianism.

I remember my voice cracking when I had to do group presentations in front of a class in college, even though I was not particularly stressed - my body still betrayed me and reacted negatively.

My voice depth varies throughout the day all the time.

I'd say the biggest impact is social context (which is normal). The next biggest is my breathing.

This, pretty much.

I find my voice is less powerful when I'm sitting at the dinner table, relaxed and maybe slightly slouched over. When someone speaks to me during meal time I have to speak slightly louder for others to hear me, likely because of posture + my mind is more focused on eating than conversation.

Hazarlar

For me, one week of celibacy makes my voice much more deeper. Actually so deep that I am surprised when I answer to phone and I often regulate it back to more ordinary.

Posture and voice are very related and bodywork systems like Feldenkrais help to improve it.

I supplemented some decent doses (300 - 400% of RDA) of vitamin A some months ago regularly and it seemed to affect my voice also. Liver doesn't have the same effect like supplemental retinyl-palmitate, as I have eaten it my whole life.

Steene

Hi guys,

Very frequently, I have fluctuations in the depth and power of my voice. Sometimes it has deep resonance and other times it sounds higher and less bassier. I'm definitely not imagining this. I've looked into what the reason for this could be and concluded it could be hormone fluctuations despite the commonly accepted stance that "your voice can't change after puberty".

My theory is that normal/high testosterone levels = relaxed vocal chords. Low testosterone levels = tighter vocal chords.

However, the strange thing is that despite getting excellent quality and quantity of sleep, my voice can still sound higher and less bassier in the morning. Whilst for me there is a clear correlation with the quality and quantity of sleep and my voice depth/power, it's not always the case. As stated before even if I get good quality sleep, my voice can end up less "bassier".

I was frustrated with this voice fluctuation issue and then looked into the Ray Peat forums for anything relevant. I found a thread regarding deepening the voice and one poster said he started taking Vitamin K2 and rubbing salt to warm his hands. This helped him have a deeper voice all day. I then thought, could it be vitamin deficiencies causing these fluctutations. Immediately, i got a cheap multi-vitamin which includes the following vitamins.

Nutrition Information:

Vitamin A 400ug RE 50%
Vitamin D 5ug 100%
Vitamin E 12mg a-TE 100%
Vitamin K 75ug 100%
Vitamin C 80mg 100%

Thiamine 1.1mg 100%
Riboflavin 1.4mg 100%
Niacin 16mg NE 100%
Vitamin B6 1.4mg 100%
Folic Acid 200ug 100%
Vitamin B12 2.5ug 100%
Biotin 50ug 100%

The next day (today) after taking the multi-vitamin, I woke up with a deeper, bassier voice and it's remaining throughout the day. I then thought to myself, it's just placebo probably.

You are not alone with that assumption. Abstinence, good sleep and a multi vitamin before sleep gives me a really deep voice. There were times where I dropped vitamins for some weeks and my voice lost some of its deepness. I think it is vitamin A which I am lacking because of my high protein intake it gets depleted very fast. So I started supplementing with vitamin A only and it returned after some days, but it is easier to take a multi so you don't have to guess around. I am taking retinyl acetate 25,000 IU up to 50,000 IU.

Vitamins are not unhealthy nor are they dangerous, dairy products also aren't and no posture change will fix this doesn't matter if sitting, staying or anything else. If you have a deep voice you will constantly speak with a deeper resonance. Stop confusing this guy.

Last edited:

Dotdash

It seems to me there are many things that affect the voice. Thyroid hormone is one but I'm speaking in terms of voice strength vs voice weakness not necessarily depth of resonance. Sometimes my voice is really weak in the afternoon. I'm still experimenting with what would help. My personal concept is that if the voice is weak - the body is weak. That means an insufficiency of some sort be it thyroid, vitamins, insufficient intake of food, or insufficient assimilation. What Steene wrote is a good example of Vitamin A insufficiency being, for him, related to voice resonance. This is different than the temporary tightening of the vocal cords under stress of public speaking or other related stress. I once experienced complete temporary loss of voice when encountering a terrifying experience. I've never forgotten it. No matter how much I tried to shout - no sound came out. I don't think any amount of hormone or vitamin could have cured that particular instance. But that is also an unusual and extreme example of what the body does to us under stress.

yeah i notice this too.. nofap will absolutely increase the depth of your voice overtime, which makes me think prolactin could play a part. i also notice if i empty my bowels completely, my voice will get noticeably deeper. i notice 1 time a big increase in vitamin A made my voice deeper, which could be testosterone related. overall though, probably if you get your bloodwork straight, like good vitamin D, low prolactin, good cholesterol, you will probably be where you need to be.

Frankdee20

Hi guys,

Nutrition Information:

Vitamin A 400ug RE 50%
Vitamin D 5ug 100%
Vitamin E 12mg a-TE 100%
Vitamin K 75ug 100%
Vitamin C 80mg 100%

Thiamine 1.1mg 100%
Riboflavin 1.4mg 100%
Niacin 16mg NE 100%
Vitamin B6 1.4mg 100%
Folic Acid 200ug 100%
Vitamin B12 2.5ug 100%
Biotin 50ug 100%

Vitamin D, Magnesium, and Zinc give deeper voices. Magnesium due to relaxing the chords, D because it may potentiate Testosterone, and Zinc because it’s the ***t

OP
Y

Yasin

I appreciate the suggestions guys. Much to my disappoinment, my voice has lost its depth. The multi-vitamin didn't allow me to retain the depth on a daily basis.

In the past I did neck exercise and this did allow me to deepen my voice but it wasn't permanent, it would fluctuate. I also did bioenergetic exercises to break muscular armouring in my body such as the bow and ground bounce, the bow did help a lot but again it wasn't permanent.

I won't give up until I find a way to maintain consistent depth, there must be a way.

Keep the posts coming.

Runenight201

I find that whenever I do heavy **** whole body compound movements, my voice drastically deepens. Sled pushes and deadlifts are what immediately produce vocal tone dropage. Too bad it’s never permanent :( I do like how I sound right afterwards. I assume that it’s doing something good. I don’t do those exercises all the time because of how taxing they are, but for what it’s worth a deadlift is an entirely concentric contraction, provides that you drop the weight at the top, which most gyms don’t let you do...

So idk if the deadlift is a result of a massive hormonal shift of t blasting out of my ball sack and dropping the voice, or if it’s the fact that I’m so heavily engaging my back and core that does it. Either way it feels good man. I gotta get back on that, and consume a shtload of calories to compensate, because every time I heavy deadlift I always get crappy sleep through not consuming enough calories to support all the growth that it’s doing.

crestind

I think it has to do with (subconscious?) stress levels primarily, and state of mind. Though some people have claimed that "NoFap" made their voices deeper. There's also articles out there suggesting people naturally modulate their voices depending on who they talk to and how their perceive their social status vis a vis the other person. Posture is another thing. If you slouch it does seem to get a bit more pitchy than if you stand up straight.

This would be an interesting topic to look into, but as with these things it's very subjective. Perhaps you could record yourself reading a passage of text each morning, and then measure the frequency?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals