Dangers of charcoal?

angst cranker

I've had digestive issues for years and have tried all kinds of things to try to fix it.

Four days ago I took two full bottles of Nature's Way activated charcoal (200 capsules total / 56 grams charcoal total).
Last night I took a bottle and a half (150 capsules / 42 grams).

This morning I blew my nose and the tissue was flecked with black powder.

Am I putting myself in danger taking this much charcoal?

Nokoni

I've had digestive issues for years and have tried all kinds of things to try to fix it.

Four days ago I took two full bottles of Nature's Way activated charcoal (200 capsules total / 56 grams charcoal total).

Wow man. Far out.

GTW

Overkill even if charcoal is helpful.
I have good results with nutritional clay 1 teaspoon 2-3 per day in water.

Jkbp

Forum Supporter
What are your symptoms indicating poor digestion? I suffer from chronic reflux and have been experimenting with charcoal also. I’m on day 4 today of self treated amoxicillin. I don’t know yet if it’s helping. Do you take probiotics?

OP
angst cranker

angst cranker

What are your symptoms indicating poor digestion? I suffer from chronic reflux and have been experimenting with charcoal also. I’m on day 4 today of self treated amoxicillin. I don’t know yet if it’s helping. Do you take probiotics?
I suffer from incomplete evacuation of bowels (sometimes needing to use the bathroom 10+ times in one day), poorly formed stool, sharp pains in lower abdomen, and excessive/trapped flatulence.

A GI map revealed I have overgrown strains of Enterococcus, Citrobacter, Proteus, Fusobacterium, Staph, and Strepp in my large bowel.

Several rounds of oregano oil and garlic allicin have failed.
3 months on Biocidin and mastic gum failed.
Two rounds of self-treated flagyl have failed.

I take Florastor while on antibiotics, otherwise I do not take probiotics.

DanDare

Forum Supporter

Tried high dose b1?

View: https://youtu.be/K4iAPfAFcs0?si=DdHQRRkNaGprGVFw

Validus

I would try something like 2 teaspoons of sodium bicarbonate on an empty stomach in the AM.

Half a teaspoon of activated charcoal with a tablespoon of zeolite before lunch.

Half a teaspoon of activated charcoal with a tablespoon of zeolite before dinner.

Also, how to you tolerate fiber? If fiber makes your issues worse, have you tried adding in some sunfiber throughout your day?

Have you tried niacin? It's been shown in increase butyrate in the lower intestine.

Overton

Have had similar issues to yours. Started doing a big bowl of sprouted oatmeal + applesauce as breakfast, plus 2-3 charcoal doses a week and am eliminating much better after 1-2 years digestive struggle.

Validus

Have had similar issues to yours. Started doing a big bowl of sprouted oatmeal + applesauce as breakfast, plus 2-3 charcoal doses a week and am eliminating much better after 1-2 years digestive struggle.
Can I ask where you get your sprouted oats and what kind they are?

What benefits do you notice with sprouted vs plain old steel cut or rolled oats?

Overton

What benefits do you notice with sprouted vs plain old steel cut or rolled oats?
It's One Degree brand, can find in many US groceries or online.

I haven't tried unsprouted oats in many years, just started with these and it has been helpful. My thinking is sprouting will lower oxalate and lectins for better digestion.

DanDare

Forum Supporter

Rolled oats are high temperature treated ( toasted, kiln dried or roasted depending, sources disagree on it ) and relatively high in acrylamide compared to oat groats. If I eat enough rolled oats, I suffer from the acrylamide (throbbing headache lasting 36 hours, night sweat).

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals