Covid recovery for a loved one

Blossom

Forum Supporter
So am I understanding correctly that physiologically people can tolerate lower sats, but doctors are now concerned about that because someone could panic and crash quickly? Can't their diligence to prevent that sometimes actually exacerbate that by aggressive oxygen use (thinking high FiO2 and ROS damage to lungs; plus I've read CPAP with PEEP can damage lungs)?
Yes, it’s slightly nuanced and individual of course. Just like with more traditional drugs (oxygen is considered a drug) there are always pros, cons and risks to all of it especially when not used appropriately.
I personally have always tried (as I was taught in school & clinicals) to keep oxygen and peep to the minimum amount necessary to maintain a person with the least potential for harm. I have seen coworkers that didn’t attempt aggressive weaning out of either busyness or laziness though. If you need to be told by a doctor to wean then you are probably not doing your job. Every hospital I’ve worked at has vent and oxygen weaning protocols in place so you don’t have to wait on a doctor to do the best thing for the patients.

LucyL

Not to pile more stuff on, but quercetin and Famotadine might help

OP
ecstatichamster
famotidine can probably be helpful but we are using cyproheptadine for similar reasons. I have never seen much proof about quercetin but maybe it is good.

Mito

COVID-19: Famotidine, Histamine, Mast Cells, and Mechanisms​

“SARS-CoV-2 infection is required for COVID-19, but many signs and symptoms of COVID-19 differ from common acute viral diseases. SARS-CoV-2 infection is necessary but not sufficient for development of clinical COVID-19 disease. Currently, there are no approved pre- or post-exposure prophylactic COVID-19 medical countermeasures. Clinical data suggest that famotidine may mitigate COVID-19 disease, but both mechanism of action and rationale for dose selection remain obscure. We have investigated several plausible hypotheses for famotidine activity including antiviral and host-mediated mechanisms of action. We propose that the principal mechanism of action of famotidine for relieving COVID-19 symptoms involves on-target histamine receptor H2 activity, and that development of clinical COVID-19 involves dysfunctional mast cell activation and histamine release. Based on these findings and associated hypothesis, new COVID-19 multi-drug treatment strategies based on repurposing well-characterized drugs are being developed and clinically tested, and many of these drugs are available worldwide in inexpensive generic oral forms suitable for both outpatient and inpatient treatment of COVID-19 disease.”

Not sure if famotidine would help but it’s proposed mechanism of action (according to above study) is different than cyproheptadine since famotidine acts on H2 receptor and cyproheptadine is on H1.

Donttreadonme

I would add 3 grams niacin.... Not the anti flush but real niacin.

Too late now but anyone fearing a covid infection should use zinc gluconate intranasally 3x daily. The virus replicates in the nose like a rhinovirus and the zinc kills the virus.

OP
ecstatichamster
I think in this case of my loved one the virus replicated in her gut.
Not sure if famotidine would help but it’s proposed mechanism of action (according to above study) is different than cyproheptadine since famotidine acts on H2 receptor and cyproheptadine is on H1.

That's not my understanding. Wikipedia:

Cyproheptadine is a very potent antihistamine or inverse agonist of the H1 receptor. At higher concentrations, it also has anticholinergic, antiserotonergic, and antidopaminergic activities. Of the serotonin receptors, it is an especially potent antagonist of the 5-HT2 receptors. This is thought to underlie its effectiveness in the treatment of serotonin syndrome.[26] However, it is possible that blockade of 5-HT1 receptors may also contribute to its effectiveness in serotonin syndrome.[27] Cyproheptadine has been reported to block 85% of 5-HT2 receptors in the human brain at a dose of 4 mg three times per day (12 mg/day total) and to block 95% of 5-HT2 receptors in the human brain at a dose of 6 mg three times per day (18 mg/day total) as measured with positron emission tomography (PET).[28] The dose of cyproheptadine recommended to ensure blockade of the 5-HT2 receptors for serotonin syndrome is 20 to 30 mg.[26] Besides its activity at neurotransmitter targets, cyproheptadine has been reported to possess weak antiandrogenic activity.[29]

Mito

I think in this case of my loved one the virus replicated in her gut.

That's not my understanding. Wikipedia:

Cyproheptadine is a very potent antihistamine or inverse agonist of the H1 receptor. At higher concentrations, it also has anticholinergic, antiserotonergic, and antidopaminergic activities. Of the serotonin receptors, it is an especially potent antagonist of the 5-HT2 receptors. This is thought to underlie its effectiveness in the treatment of serotonin syndrome.[26] However, it is possible that blockade of 5-HT1 receptors may also contribute to its effectiveness in serotonin syndrome.[27] Cyproheptadine has been reported to block 85% of 5-HT2 receptors in the human brain at a dose of 4 mg three times per day (12 mg/day total) and to block 95% of 5-HT2 receptors in the human brain at a dose of 6 mg three times per day (18 mg/day total) as measured with positron emission tomography (PET).[28] The dose of cyproheptadine recommended to ensure blockade of the 5-HT2 receptors for serotonin syndrome is 20 to 30 mg.[26] Besides its activity at neurotransmitter targets, cyproheptadine has been reported to possess weak antiandrogenic activity.[29]
I was comparing effects on H1 and H2 histamine receptors since the study proposed a benefit from the effects of famotidine on histamine H2 receptor. So I was speculating that they might be complimentary to each other. Similar for the serotonin effects, I think famotidine works by reducing serotonin synthesis where as cyproheptadine antagonIzes serotonin.

Last edited:

Birdie

Came back to see how she's doing. Hoping she feels a little better.

Birdie

Just saw this Q and A by Miso to Dr Peat: (Just for encouragement)
Q: What would be your go-to medicines/food etc, if you started to develop "Covid" like symptoms like shortness of breath and fever?

RP: Aspirin, antihistamines, and antibiotics (azithromycin has been tested in covid), vitamin D, milk, orange juice,nebulized 4% saline, lidocaine (nebulized or oral), progesterone.

kaybb

Just saw this Q and A by Miso to Dr Peat: (Just for encouragement)
Q: What would be your go-to medicines/food etc, if you started to develop "Covid" like symptoms like shortness of breath and fever?

RP: Aspirin, antihistamines, and antibiotics (azithromycin has been tested in covid), vitamin D, milk, orange juice,nebulized 4% saline, lidocaine (nebulized or oral), progesterone.
Great info. Do you know if oral lidocaine is over the counter ?

biohacker

Forum Supporter
I have Covid right now too. Main issue left is a hacking cough and spitting up gunk. I've found Camposal to shut down my cough all nite long. 25 drops in a little water, gargle and swallow. I am sure it's doing some other good things too. Not sure what.

Birdie

I have Covid right now too. Main issue left is a hacking cough and spitting up gunk. I've found Camposal to shut down my cough all nite long. 25 drops in a little water, gargle and swallow. I am sure it's doing some other good things too. Not sure what.
Thanks for the Camposal idea. I had bronchitis once and could only sleep 20 minutes at a time because of cough. Next time will know !

Birdie

I looked for it and no dice. Is Camposal Rx ?

Peater Piper

OP
ecstatichamster
our recoveries went like this. I helped my wife by giving her ivermectin and antibiotics and oxygen. She recovered very well. She probably got Delta covid in the gut and it migrated to the lungs. I then got the same variant. That day I got monoclonal antibodies which helped a great deal but I was very sick for two weeks. I'm recovering now. We both used ivermectin and I continue using it and benefiting from it. It's a miracle.

I think we were well prepared. One thing that is important when recovering is using corticosteroids for awhile to combat the post virus inflammation. They can't be taken until you are no longer infectious but I think they are a missing link to recovery. Both my wife and I took prednisone for a bit after to assist our recovery.

It was a terrible episode. She was not that sick for at least 15 years. I was very sick a few years ago, and this time was better (I had bird flu in 2020 not Covid). And now we hope we have robust T cell immunity.

We plan to get the T cell test in a few months.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals