Challenging White Bread

andrei

Hi guys! I just want to share my recent way of eating.
White bread is my staple. Somehow over time my appetite for sugar diminished and I was seeking starch. Now I only eat white bread, meat and vegetables.

I was using potatoes before; but i cannot spend that much time cooking, so I looked for an alternative. I tried white bread and my current state is at its best.

Apparently, it has calcium. 260mg per 100 grams. Thats a lot given that I eat around 800grams of white bread daily.

I believe white bread is easy on digestion for most people. So if u can digest it; it might not be as evil. Just my 2c.

olive

Gluten is most definitely evil

White bread is also often fortified with the folic acid and iron, even if the label doesn’t specify

White rice would be a better option

somuch4food

Calcium is most likely from calcium propionate, a preservative. I don't know if it's well absorbed.

That said I also eat quite a lot of white bread myself.

I can't get around to eating rice more than a few times a week.

YourUniverse

Bread is interesting, especially the commercial stuff. It has gluten, and it's starch; it's fortified, and unfortunately with the stuff we want to avoid (like ferrous iron), but it is also made rich in B-vitamins which are sorely lacking in "healthy" diets. I think it's an interesting dietary addition, although not one I would make myself

Bread, white, commercially prepared (includes soft bread crumbs) Nutrition Facts & Calories
Shows 151mg Ca and 99mg Phosporus. Not a bad ratio.

Well I think the gluten is bad. I think you’re better off if you make your own bread at home and soak the dough for a long time.

Apparently nobody has time to cook.

What is everybody doing with all their time? Cooking potatoes or bread really doesn’t take very long at all.

I gain fat when I eat a lot of starch.

michael94

Betaine also a factor, even for plain white flour. although that has to do with methylation so mayb its a negative. idk. chris masterjohn wrote some stuff about betaine one time if you care to google his name and that term.

My understanding was that methylation helped stabilize things when stress was out of control and better options of regeneration were physiologically unavailable

johnwester130

I agree it's not that bad.

Perhaps sourdough will remove the gluten, cook it in coconut oil too will help it digest

Atman

Apparently nobody has time to cook.

What is everybody doing with all their time? Cooking potatoes or bread really doesn’t take very long at all.
Putting potatoes in a pot with salt water and waiting an hour? Are you crazy? Who has time for that complicated ***t?

Watching TV/Netflix/Youtube several hours a day is far more important.

jacob

White bread is my staple. Somehow over time my appetite for sugar diminished and I was seeking starch. Now I only eat white bread, meat and vegetables.

I was using potatoes before; but i cannot spend that much time cooking, so I looked for an alternative. I tried white bread and my current state is at its best.

Apparently, it has calcium. 260mg per 100 grams. Thats a lot given that I eat around 800grams of white bread daily.

I believe white bread is easy on digestion for most people. So if u can digest it; it might not be as evil. Just my 2c.

In for white bread thread. Recently I added it to my diet after avoiding it for more than a decade. It digests well for me, it's readily available, and it's an easy way to add calories when I need them. I feel foolish for categorically removing it from my diet without any real reason to do so. I'm sure white bread isn't right for everyone, but it doesn't seem to have any negative effects on me right now.

inb4 "but it's an opioid"

jacob

Putting potatoes in a pot with salt water and waiting an hour? Are you crazy? Who has time for that complicated ***t?

Watching TV/Netflix/Youtube several hours a day is far more important.

The problem isn't the Netflix or YouTube. Thanks for being so condescending though.

Many of us lose a lot of time grating carrots, hand-squeezing 24 oranges every day which we then strain into 8oz of juice, and driving all over town looking for the newest version of non-homogenized A2 milk hoping that maybe this version won't give us acne or bloat us to the point we can't wear a seatbelt. It can be a lot of work to come up with sufficient calories around here. Cleaning, cutting, and boiling 6 pounds of potatoes every other day, along with shopping for all these things, can be quite the task.

Atman

The problem isn't the Netflix or YouTube. Thanks for being so condescending though.

Many of us lose a lot of time grating carrots, hand-squeezing 24 oranges every day which we then strain into 8oz of juice, and driving all over town looking for the newest version of non-homogenized A2 milk hoping that maybe this version won't give us acne or bloat us to the point we can't wear a seatbelt. It can be a lot of work to come up with sufficient calories around here. Cleaning, cutting, and boiling 6 pounds of potatoes every other day, along with shopping for all these things, can be quite the task.

It's just a fact that people are spending a large proportion of their time on "meaningless" leisure activities. At the same time they say, they have no time for cooking their own food.
It's not even a question of time I think, but of the "struggle" involved which goes against peoples extremely cushy lifestyles today.

I don't want to sound condescending, I am guilty of the same vices. I just try to stay honest to myself.

It's just a fact that people are spending a large proportion of their time on "meaningless" leisure activities. At the same time they say, they have no time for cooking their own food.
It's not even a question of time I think, but of the "struggle" involved which goes against peoples extremely cushy lifestyles today.

I don't want to sound condescending, I am guilty of the same vices. I just try to stay honest to myself.

I think life should have textures and different activities to it and these include having joy in preparing food, eating food. I think this forum encourages a view of food and cooking as nothing but repairing the ship. Food should be about so much more. The classic French approach to gathering ingredients and preparing food and eating is a great model. Food as repairing the ship renders a great part of life as meaningless and short changes us.

I live next door half a year to a fantastic market and enjoy shopping every day. We prepare almost all our meals and enjoy them very much. I would never want that idea of “no time”.

Cirion

I think life should have textures and different activities to it and these include having joy in preparing food, eating food. I think this forum encourages a view of food and cooking as nothing but repairing the ship. Food should be about so much more. The classic French approach to gathering ingredients and preparing food and eating is a great model. Food as repairing the ship renders a great part of life as meaningless and short changes us.

I live next door half a year to a fantastic market and enjoy shopping every day. We prepare almost all our meals and enjoy them very much. I would never want that idea of “no time”.

While I get what you're saying, it's really not possible to "enjoy" my food when I have very specific restrictions such as ultra-low PUFA intake, which basically means the only fat I can have is hydrogenated coconut oil. Luckily I have generally had the mindset of using food as medication and not enjoyment. Orthorexic, perhaps, but I'm tired of being ill, so I don't care, I want to feel better at all costs.

Intuitive eating, enjoying food, whatever you want to call it, simply does not work for me. I have to be super strict and count each and every little thing that goes into my mouth to facilitate healing.

That said, there are a few things that I dislike the taste of so much (Gelatin anyone?) that I have had to at least made steps to make that more edible. Lol. Like making my own jello.

tankasnowgod

White bread will always be superior to whole grains. Same as white rice to brown rice.

The biggest issue with white bread for most, far and away, is the added iron shavings. This is a disaster, and has been since it was first added in the 40's. Absolutely awful way to turn a decent food into garbage.

Beyond that, some people have issues with gluten beyond the added stuff.

If you can get white bread without added iron, and it doesn't seem to cause any issues, go for it. I still think it would be wise to keep it as a small portion of your diet, though.

InChristAlone

White bread is not ideal, I do much better with pasta. They have pretty cheap organic non fortified spaghetti at Whole Foods, it only takes 12 minutes. Or start making your own sourdough, I know it can take a lot of patience, but it is worth it. And rewarding. I just got into it myself here is my first loaf:
52948602_10100673541087139_4398283619068542976_o.jpg
Made with organic non fortified flour from a wild starter.

Last edited:

jacob

I agree that there's a lot of people who may be too leisurely. But I also think there's a lot of hardworking people with limited time who are already making the best diet & exercise choices they can. Sometimes something as seemingly trivial as boiling one extra potato is just one more layer for which people don't have time. For me, boiling potatoes usually means the difference between going to bed at 10:30pm vs. 12:00am.

I'm not offended (although it probably seems like I am, haha). But there are many people out there who are really putting in the work already.

ilikecats

People often forget/overlook the fact that yeast (used in bread making) contains estrogen.

InChristAlone

People often forget/overlook the fact that yeast (used in bread making) contains estrogen.
But how much in one slice? I mean people are using brewer's yeast and nutritional yeast for their b vitamins and they aren't complaining of excess estrogen.

Aymen

White bread is not ideal, I do much better with pasta. They have pretty cheap organic non fortified spaghetti at Whole Foods, it only takes 12 minutes. Or start making your own sourdough, I know it can take a lot of patience, but it is worth it. And rewarding. I just got into it myself here is my first loaf:
View attachment 12300
Made with organic non fortified flour from a wild starter.
hey sorry for my english , i tried baker's yeast with semolina flour and mixed with water , let it for 24 hours to rise and then the next morning i tried to bake it for 30 min , it didn't rise and the color stayed white and i couldn't eat it , it was very hard to put it in my teeth , what do you think the problem was ?
from that day i didn't want to try it again , and semolina italian pasta digests easier in my opinion.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals