Cavities And/or Tooth Erosion On Lower Gum Line. Any Thoughts?

x-ray peat

lots of good advice. I would just add that most soap contains glycerin which supposedly coats teeth and prevents remineralization. I did soap for a while but now use just xylitol.

You could also "swish" around powdered egg shells a few times a day to help remineralize.

OP
D

danishispsychic

Super interesting @theLaw- thank y0u. I got some Ivory, have been wanting to order Tyromix - so now I will, and I will add some Eggshell Calcium to my smoothie :)

crestind

Vitamin D3 + K2 gave me cavities. I was even having pieces of my teeth breaking off.
I know someone whose doctor recommended they take like some absurd amount of D3 because their vitamin D levels were "low". Took the doc's advice, ended up with painful teeth that turned somewhat black. I tried D3, Nature Valley brand, one capsule every other day. Ended up with overdose symptoms, corner of my mouth developed bloody crack that didn't heal for a long time.

Nutrition is in the stone ages. Most docs don't know ***t about nutrition imo, even though it's basically preventative medicine.

baccheion

Vitamin D3 + K2 gave me cavities. I was even having pieces of my teeth breaking off.
How much of each did you take, what forms, and what else?

Maybe you needed more calcium and magnesium. Angular cheilitis (cracks) is often a result of vitamin B2, vitamin B9, iron, and/or zinc deficiency. That is, maybe add a good multivitamin (AOR Ortho-Core, Life Extension Mix, Thorne 2/day, Life Extension Two-per-day, etc) when taking D3 + K2 MK-4.

Last edited:

Xisca

So you now avoid fruit acids I'm assuming? I eat potatoes, white bread, meat, fish, eggs, milk, cooked vegetables, etc... And my teeth are very healthy now, I brush my teeth with both white bar soap and granulated xylitol.
I avoid sugar and starch. They make me bloated and it did not change. I first got a good boost, but it did not stay.

Nicole W.

I have minor battles here and there with my new nemesis the " gum line cavity". This particular hell really started after I went through a monster stress period due to the loss of my mother and then 2 dogs. My body in general went haywire. I have really had great teeth all my life, had braces ( metal ) as a kid , and then a few years ago went on a mission to get any metal filings that were in my mouth removed. I am no longer a metal mouth, but feel like this issue persists. Any suggestions? After years of only drinking milk in my morning coffee and I adding it back into my diet and in general my enamel feels stronger. I also take Mercola Vitamin D spray and Estroban ( that stuff is amaze. ) I can't handle tons of OJ but I do take C and really try to get enough with fruit as well. I oil pull, brush with a soft toothbrush, use non flouride Jasons enamel building toothpaste and floss with stick things with little brushes on them.

Do any of you super awesome Peaty people have any suggestions?
I encountered problems with OJ myself, it really thinned my enamel in one spot so much so that the teeth in that area became super temperature sensitive. Panicked, I went to the dentist because those symptoms can indicate a need for a root canal. Luckily, ( or unluckily...after an X-ray) it was determined that it was just an enamel problem. I completely overcame it with Spry oral rinse. It has xylitol in it along with some antibacterial herbs and my teeth have never been better. I brush with Spry toothpaste and then swish for a minute with the oral rinse. No tooth sensitivity or cavities and my teeth and gums look great. As a side benefit, I find that it diminishes the dreaded white coated tongue ( probably from dairy consumption) pretty effectively. And, call me crazy but I think it positively affects my gut as well. I suspect minute amounts of the rinse go down my throat and the xylitol eliminates some bad bacteria.

Bingo

I have also been struggling with the health of my teeth and gums. I had a gum line cavity filled on a wisdom tooth two years ago, and the filling recently fell out! I was in terrible pain but I didn't know the situation and went back to the dentist that put in the filling. He treated me terribly, berated me, stabbed me in the hole where his filling came out, and gave me no option but to pull the tooth. He said it was filled with decay. (Really this dentist should not be practicing.) I had the tooth pulled by the other dentist that works in his office, and there was no decay, just a white tooth with a hole in it! That was 2 months ago. Today I have terrible pain in the maxilla on that side and the two molars next to the one they removed are loose. I do not think there is a infection, but there may be one up there at the root somehow. There was a shard of bone sticking out of the gum in the back next to where they removed the tooth, but this has finally resorbed. I think I am grinding my teeth due to the pain and have purchased a night guard and worked with it to get a comfortable fit that does not touch the gums. The gums are receding and the situation is very troubling for the remaining previously healthy teeth. I have an appointment with a holistic dentist next week that may be able to help.

I purchased snuff bags! and have tried placing several herbal poultices between the cheek and gum, and sometimes I can flatten a bag out and get it to rest on the roof of my mouth next to the teeth that have root erosion and are loosening. I am careful about what I chew because of the pain from it. I recommend the snuff bags although I am not sure yet the herbs will be helpful in my situation. It is the only way to get an herb on the correct spot and have it stay there.

I have learned several things about dentistry from this experience and everyone needs to know these things:
Dentists are surgeons and should be fully vetted before allowing them to put even a small cavity in your mouth. When dentists drill they take a lot of tooth structure and this weakens the tooth. The idea is to get you as close to needing a crown/root canal/extraction as possible so they make more money. (Incompetent dentists make more so you better find out what they do before they do it to you.)
Dentists can find decay by shining a light on your teeth. They do not need to use the probe (pick ax) to test the suspected cavity for softness. If your dentist does not use a light to find decay you should start shopping for one who does because this dentist is more up to date anyway.
Dentists can also use lasers in place of a drill. This removes less tooth structure and is the better choice. if drilling is necessary. Many dentists advertise that they use a laser to appear current in their training, but they use it only for root/deep cleaning which has apparently been shown to accelerate tooth loss. Dentists can use lasers to kill bacteria below the gum without opening up the gum pocket. Probably all root planing/deep cleaning is unnecessary/harmful. Find out what your dentist uses the laser for.

Even large cavities can be painted with silver diamine fluoride and the cavity will be arrested. (Wish I had known this two years ago.) Silver diamine fluoride turns the cavity black, which may not be an issue for back teeth at all. Certainly all deciduous teeth and back molars can be treated this way without ever having to drill. This treatment leaves a tiny amount of silver ions (not mercury) behind on the cavity surface. It uses less fluoride than what is present in a cup of city drinking water, and the silver ions left behind deter bacteria in the mouth and prevent cavities from forming even on other places in the mouth. I am sure some will complain that silver ions might not be great to have in the mouth, but have those same people try my experience instead. A drilled and filled tooth will eventually need more work and if you can refuse the drill to start with you are ahead of the game. In Australia they use potassium iodide with the silver diamine fluoride and it does not discolor the tooth much. I wonder if a US dentist could be talked into trying this?

The holistic dentist I am going to see advertises ultra-conservative treatment. Hoping for the best

@Bingo thanks for the info on dentistry. Do you have any advice on how to find a good, conservative in approach dentist? I tried looking for some holistic dentists in my area but the ones I checked out all used x-rays.

Bingo

I am not sure yet if the dentist I am about to see is any good. Her assistant who answers the phone said that she does not do panoramas because that is just too much radiation. She only does x-rays if necessary to diagnose a concern, and never does routine x-rays. I am free to decline them as well. I have looked around and many dentists seem to be coasting on the mercury free bandwagon without actually being holistic at all. X-rays are another crazy thing about dentistry. A shadow on an x-ray is read as a cavity or infection, but it could be a shadow and nothing to do with the teeth at all. My dad had an x-ray done some years ago that showed that his neck vertebrae was clearly broken and healed over. The doctor was terribly concerned and wanted to help make sure my dad's neck wasn't in danger from further injury. My dad concluded that someone had dropped him as an infant and covered up the abuse. He was amazed that he could have survived the trauma. A later x-ray confirmed that the neck was completely normal and never broken. Probably most x-rays are of little value if diagnosing soft tissues for example for infection. Some progressive dentists x-ray each individual tooth from different angles and model them individually in 3-D, selling you on the dental work you need to do on each tooth. They offer financing as well! There are few good dentists and you will probably have to travel to get to one. They will have holistic, natural or biological in the office name. That narrows it down considerably but many of these will turn out to be regular dentists who are mercury free. Take your time in finding a dentist.

managing

So here is a counterpoint: I am 48 yrs old and . . . I have never, ever, had a cavity of any kind.

Its really the only aspect of my health that is "superior". Yes, I drink OJ and have most of my life. I brush once a day usually. Sometimes I don't. I haven't used fluoride toothpaste in 25 yrs. I floss irregularly.

About the only "good" habit I have is I have visited the dentist pretty much every 6 mos for my entire life for a standard cleaning. Never a fluoride treatment.

I don't know if I have anything to offer, but I'd be happy to answer questions.

Nicole W.

So here is a counterpoint: I am 48 yrs old and . . . I have never, ever, had a cavity of any kind.

Its really the only aspect of my health that is "superior". Yes, I drink OJ and have most of my life. I brush once a day usually. Sometimes I don't. I haven't used fluoride toothpaste in 25 yrs. I floss irregularly.

About the only "good" habit I have is I have visited the dentist pretty much every 6 mos for my entire life for a standard cleaning. Never a fluoride treatment.

I don't know if I have anything to offer, but I'd be happy to answer questions.
Do you have spaces in between your teeth? I find that people who have less crowded teeth have fewer caries for obvious reasons. Also, how is your health otherwise? Do you think your good dental health is a reflection of your overall health? Just curious...

managing

Do you have spaces in between your teeth? I find that people who have less crowded teeth have fewer caries for obvious reasons. Also, how is your health otherwise? Do you think your good dental health is a reflection of your overall health? Just curious...
No, my general health leaves a lot to be desired. The core of it is poor utilization of glucose/high cortisol.

And, I have a very small mouth. Had all 4 wisdoms pulled to make room. Wore braces on upper. I have a few random gaps, but generally my teeth are very close together.

I know, it defies conventional wisdom. I don't have an answer to why this is.

Nicole W.

No, my general health leaves a lot to be desired. The core of it is poor utilization of glucose/high cortisol.

And, I have a very small mouth. Had all 4 wisdoms pulled to make room. Wore braces on upper. I have a few random gaps, but generally my teeth are very close together.

I know, it defies conventional wisdom. I don't have an answer to why this is.
Haha! You are not alone. I also have good teeth, great hair, skin and nails but suffer from energy deficits and viral issues. It’s interesting that not every part of the body suffers in the context of disease or disregulation.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals