Cavities And/or Tooth Erosion On Lower Gum Line. Any Thoughts?

managing

Haha! You are not alone. I also have good teeth, great hair, skin and nails but suffer from energy deficits and viral issues. It’s interesting that not every part of the body suffers in the context of disease or disregulation.
Yes, great hair, skin and nails too! My mom and my wife covet my nails, lol. I can use them as a screwdriver they are so thick. And I have to cut them every week.

Nicole W.

Yes, great hair, skin and nails too! My mom and my wife covet my nails, lol. I can use them as a screwdriver they are so thick. And I have to cut them every week.
There must be a common thread between all these outward signs of health, and yet we don’t feel awesome (yet). Baffling.

Lejeboca

seems like a lot of people online recommend comfrey root. anyone try this?

Forget Filling Cavities: Regrow Your Teeth Instead

Comfrey is known to draw pretty much any tissue together from outside in, i.e., it literally seals exterior first. IT is very powerful and do the sealing in the matter of hours. I wouldn't try comfrey on something that might have infection going on inside, such as cavity or swollen-infected gum, because the infection stays inside the seal (!). I have experienced the latter on myself: Comfrey drew the sides of a cut finger skin together so quickly that the finger stayed swollen and didn't heal until I had to took the pus out...

Anyway, back to the teeth ;-). A better solution would be white oak bark. There are accounts that it remineralizes the teeth, and I've used it too. Then, for the gum hygiene (or problems) I use calendula. If my teeth become too sensitive, as from a freshly-freshly squeezed OJ, I swish with prickly ash 1-2 times and the sensitivity is gone. Myrrh and prolpolis are good antimicrobial for the mouth.

Bingo

My husband does not get cavities either. He has other issues, and his oral health routine is fair at best. There is some underlying health cause for decay, receding gums, etc. I have thyroid problems more powerfully than he does, so maybe that's it. My father is in his 70s and has perfect teeth as well. Perhaps it's a man thing? The Holistic dentist I went to yesterday was of little help. She said the pain I am experiencing is from a dying tooth nerve, but she didn't suggest gum surgery, extraction, or root canal. She couldn't be sure which tooth or teeth it is. Instead, she wanted me to go to her favorite natural doctor to improve my health with iodine, fish oil and inhaled ozone treatments. She also said she wouldn't touch me without extensive x-rays and does not use silver fluoride because fluoride is toxic. Drilling and filling is also toxic, but I never bother to argue with the professionals. She did say that she ordered an ultrasound machine 4 or 5 years ago and that the machine will model the teeth in 3D so no x-rays are not necessary. However, the machine is being held hostage by the FDA. I wonder how many decades the FDA can hold this technology up? The future for dental care may look a bit better for the next generation at least. There doesn't seem to be any help available for me, and I am not sure where to turn if the tooth does get worse. Constant pain is a powerful stress. Question: Has anyone found a dentist that will apply silver fluoride? There are some reports of this halting infection and the need for a root canal. Anyone have a Peat friendly dentist anywhere in the US? Maybe I could swing a dental vacation or road trip someday.

x-ray peat

Comfrey is known to draw pretty much any tissue together from outside in, i.e., it literally seals exterior first. IT is very powerful and do the sealing in the matter of hours. I wouldn't try comfrey on something that might have infection going on inside, such as cavity or swollen-infected gum, because the infection stays inside the seal (!). I have experienced the latter on myself: Comfrey drew the sides of a cut finger skin together so quickly that the finger stayed swollen and didn't heal until I had to took the pus out...

Anyway, back to the teeth ;-). A better solution would be white oak bark. There are accounts that it remineralizes the teeth, and I've used it too. Then, for the gum hygiene (or problems) I use calendula. If my teeth become too sensitive, as from a freshly-freshly squeezed OJ, I swish with prickly ash 1-2 times and the sensitivity is gone. Myrrh and prolpolis are good antimicrobial for the mouth.
Thanks for the info. Not planning on using it anytime soon.

x-ray peat

I think Dr. Ellie is right on when she speaks of the main cause of cavities is the oral flora. Some people have an excessive amount of cavity causing bacteria and other s have mostly the benign kind. Her recommendation to use xylitol and other rinses to kill off the dangerous ones is probably the best advice to prevent cavities and start the reversal process.

Cirion

I avoid sugar and starch. They make me bloated and it did not change. I first got a good boost, but it did not stay.

@Xisca

Wait, so if you avoid sugar and starch, do you eat carbs at all anymore?

Lejeboca

@Bingo , really sorry that you are having the tooth pains/problems.
I second your question about Peat-friendly dentist in the US....Someone on the forum suggested to search for "biological dentist" (Post 8 in Can A "cavity" Cause Stress In The Body, Similar To Endotoxin?) I might do that locally.

said the pain I am experiencing is from a dying tooth nerve
If it's a nerve pain, the prickly ash ( Zanthoxylum americanum - Wikipedia ) tincture helped me invariably.

Bingo

I will try the prickly ash. Thanks for the tip. I do wonder why some people are immune to the oral flora problems. My husband has certainly been exposed to whatever pathogens I carry.

Bingo

I bought some Myrrh capsules and have been dumping them out an brushing with them and holding the Myrrh against the painful area. It says on the bottle to take them internally, but for some reason I thought Myrrh could be toxic. I wonder if it would be a good antimicrobial for the gut as well? Do you take Myrrh internally?

Lejeboca

I do wonder why some people are immune to the oral flora problems. My husband has certainly been exposed to whatever pathogens I carry.

Dr. Peat (an others) have said that stress is the cause of tooth problems.

Do you take Myrrh internally?
Yes, no problem of toxicity for me. But I take it in "drop" doses, i.e, no more than 5 drops of tincture mixed with water (I first swish it and then swallow-- I don't brush). Come to thing of it, myrrh did help me when I had very severe (nerve) tooth pain. I am optimistic that it will help you too.

L

lollipop

I have also been struggling with the health of my teeth and gums. I had a gum line cavity filled on a wisdom tooth two years ago, and the filling recently fell out! I was in terrible pain but I didn't know the situation and went back to the dentist that put in the filling. He treated me terribly, berated me, stabbed me in the hole where his filling came out, and gave me no option but to pull the tooth. He said it was filled with decay. (Really this dentist should not be practicing.) I had the tooth pulled by the other dentist that works in his office, and there was no decay, just a white tooth with a hole in it! That was 2 months ago. Today I have terrible pain in the maxilla on that side and the two molars next to the one they removed are loose. I do not think there is a infection, but there may be one up there at the root somehow. There was a shard of bone sticking out of the gum in the back next to where they removed the tooth, but this has finally resorbed. I think I am grinding my teeth due to the pain and have purchased a night guard and worked with it to get a comfortable fit that does not touch the gums. The gums are receding and the situation is very troubling for the remaining previously healthy teeth. I have an appointment with a holistic dentist next week that may be able to help.

I purchased snuff bags! and have tried placing several herbal poultices between the cheek and gum, and sometimes I can flatten a bag out and get it to rest on the roof of my mouth next to the teeth that have root erosion and are loosening. I am careful about what I chew because of the pain from it. I recommend the snuff bags although I am not sure yet the herbs will be helpful in my situation. It is the only way to get an herb on the correct spot and have it stay there.

I have learned several things about dentistry from this experience and everyone needs to know these things:
Dentists are surgeons and should be fully vetted before allowing them to put even a small cavity in your mouth. When dentists drill they take a lot of tooth structure and this weakens the tooth. The idea is to get you as close to needing a crown/root canal/extraction as possible so they make more money. (Incompetent dentists make more so you better find out what they do before they do it to you.)
Dentists can find decay by shining a light on your teeth. They do not need to use the probe (pick ax) to test the suspected cavity for softness. If your dentist does not use a light to find decay you should start shopping for one who does because this dentist is more up to date anyway.
Dentists can also use lasers in place of a drill. This removes less tooth structure and is the better choice. if drilling is necessary. Many dentists advertise that they use a laser to appear current in their training, but they use it only for root/deep cleaning which has apparently been shown to accelerate tooth loss. Dentists can use lasers to kill bacteria below the gum without opening up the gum pocket. Probably all root planing/deep cleaning is unnecessary/harmful. Find out what your dentist uses the laser for.

Even large cavities can be painted with silver diamine fluoride and the cavity will be arrested. (Wish I had known this two years ago.) Silver diamine fluoride turns the cavity black, which may not be an issue for back teeth at all. Certainly all deciduous teeth and back molars can be treated this way without ever having to drill. This treatment leaves a tiny amount of silver ions (not mercury) behind on the cavity surface. It uses less fluoride than what is present in a cup of city drinking water, and the silver ions left behind deter bacteria in the mouth and prevent cavities from forming even on other places in the mouth. I am sure some will complain that silver ions might not be great to have in the mouth, but have those same people try my experience instead. A drilled and filled tooth will eventually need more work and if you can refuse the drill to start with you are ahead of the game. In Australia they use potassium iodide with the silver diamine fluoride and it does not discolor the tooth much. I wonder if a US dentist could be talked into trying this?

The holistic dentist I am going to see advertises ultra-conservative treatment. Hoping for the best
@Bingo very interesting post; thank you!

Energizer

Without knowing precisely what you're eating it's difficult to form much of a suggestion. But one thing I have noticed is eating the good ol' Peaty staples like the carrot salad and liver every few days keeps digestion running smoothly. I think just eating a variety of nutritious and delicious foods is good. Coffee is also known to be protective against cavities. I've had a ton of cavities myself, none recently fortunately. I think thyroid function is critical for healthy teeth so getting the thyroid function up with whatever tools available is essential.

However, I don't like brushing my teeth and am not convinced they're all going to fall out if I don't brush... I was a runner for a while and would also cycle frequently, which I'm sure didn't help (as excessive endurance activity dries mouth and lowers thyroid function). I do rinse my mouth with water and baking soda and floss occasionally. To me it seems illogical to place so much emphasis on the ritual of brushing and flossing when Peat mentioned he's known of cultures and people that have perfect teeth that neither brush nor floss.

Bingo

Without knowing precisely what you're eating it's difficult to form much of a suggestion. But one thing I have noticed is eating the good ol' Peaty staples like the carrot salad and liver every few days keeps digestion running smoothly. I think just eating a variety of nutritious and delicious foods is good. Coffee is also known to be protective against cavities. I've had a ton of cavities myself, none recently fortunately. I think thyroid function is critical for healthy teeth so getting the thyroid function up with whatever tools available is essential.

However, I don't like brushing my teeth and am not convinced they're all going to fall out if I don't brush... I was a runner for a while and would also cycle frequently, which I'm sure didn't help (as excessive endurance activity dries mouth and lowers thyroid function). I do rinse my mouth with water and baking soda and floss occasionally. To me it seems illogical to place so much emphasis on the ritual of brushing and flossing when Peat mentioned he's known of cultures and people that have perfect teeth that neither brush nor floss.

Yeah my thyroid function was really messed up over the winter and I am just getting energy back. I wasn't taking thyroid meds for a long time and guess I can't live without. A hard lesson. No more winters without thyroid for me. I have a hard time getting the dosages right and my cholesterol falls very low when I take Thyroid. Low cholesterol is not a simple thing to solve.

My diet it pretty Peat like if there is such a thing. I've been low pufa for 4.5 years. Coffee with gelatin, milk and sugar for breakfast, with fruit, milk, eggs, fresh squeezed OJ, sometimes liver, tons of cheese, trying for shellfish weekly. We even eat un-aged beef, which does taste way better. However my digestion had not been great. I get heartburn more now than ever and despite being back on thyroid, something is still wrong. I got tired of carrots and regret it now. The last few days I put carrots in an old masticating juicer and ate the fiber as a salad with coconut oil and salt! I tossed the juice. It's harder for me to eat solid food right now, so I switched back to whole milk to get easy calories.

Maybe tooth brushing does not make much difference for some people in some situations. Probably effort could be better placed on digestion and thyroid as you said. My teeth still get a tenacious plaque though and I couldn't possibly leave it undisturbed.

Energizer

@Bingo I don't know if you get the full benefit of the carrot with a masticating juicer but I guess its probably better than nothing. How much thyroid are you taking? Not recommending this for anyone else, but I didn't feel better until I really ramped up my thyroid dose (I've had high estrogen symptoms for a while which have gone down quite a bit). I probably should watch my cholesterol as well because I imagine it's low as well since I'm on high thyroid dose. But you're right, it's not as easy as just ramping up the thyroid. Personally, I'd take low cholesterol over feeling hypo symptoms, but that's just me.

Bingo

@Bingo Personally, I'd take low cholesterol over feeling hypo symptoms, but that's just me.

I can't ignore the thyroid, but I am not sure. My cholesterol gets really low on a high thyroid dose. I think I have symptoms from that too.
I am trying higher doses of pregnenolone and CoQ10. Increasing sugar intake alone does not increase cholesterol much for me.

I would like to find a patch, bandage, or burn type dressing that could be worn inside the mouth to allow an area of receded gums to heal. frequent exposure even to the roughness of the tongue is irritating, not to mention foods. Wish there was such a thing.

HDD

@Bingo
I get random tooth/gum pain. I had fillings below the gum line on teeth many years ago. These were on teeth with crowns. At the time, I remember telling my dentist that it seemed like it was something systemic since I was as experiencing more allergy symptoms at the time. Now when I experience tooth pain, I take bacteriophages (Floraphage) and Lapodin (Idealabs). This seems to work for both my husband and myself within a day or two.

Bingo

@Bingo
I get random tooth/gum pain. I had fillings below the gum line on teeth many years ago. These were on teeth with crowns. At the time, I remember telling my dentist that it seemed like it was something systemic since I was as experiencing more allergy symptoms at the time. Now when I experience tooth pain, I take bacteriophages (Floraphage) and Lapodin (Idealabs). This seems to work for both my husband and myself within a day or two.
Thanks .I tried Floraphage recently, maybe I need to use a lot of it. It really works in just a day or two? That would be nice. I will try that again as well as look into Lapodin. My gums have receded in one spot so badly that I need somehow to protect it even from my tongue rubbing against.

Dolomite

Forum Supporter
@Bingo , my gums were all receding and inflamed. It occurred sometime around menopause. I went through all the periodontal treatments, laser treatment, etc. The gums got slightly better but once I started the Dr. Ellie Phillips system (discussed in the thread posted below the list of recent posts, This is a big part of the health puzzle), they are much, much better. Some of the worst recession has fully healed.

There were times I packed xylitol crystals around sore and bleeding gums. The healing was remarkable.

I have been doing the system for 5 years and my teeth and gums are better than when I was young.
I recommend reading the thread and trying the system.

HDD

Thanks .I tried Floraphage recently, maybe I need to use a lot of it. It really works in just a day or two? That would be nice. I will try that again as well as look into Lapodin. My gums have receded in one spot so badly that I need somehow to protect it even from my tongue rubbing against.

Yes, it has surprisingly worked quickly. I’ve only taken 1 capsule for a few days; my husband takes more. My husband has done this 3 times now and it has worked every time. I am not very consistent with eating carrots and when my teeth are bothering me, I can’t eat them. I plan on ordering antibiotics to have on hand in case the phage/lapodin treatment isn’t enough.

I also recently had a lot of tooth/gum pain after increasing my progest-e quite a bit. I’m not certain it caused the pain but I do recall this being discussed on the forum. I think that the progesterone was causing estrogen to be released from tissue or my metabolism was increased and I needed more nutrition.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals