Can you dehydrate oysters to make a powder ?

conrad0602

Does anyone know if this is ok? What would be a good temp/time ?

Also can you grind the shells into a powder? Is there any special preparation required ?

Just bought a bunch of oysters need to make sure its all good!

Thanks

Hans

Forum Supporter
Fo' sho' man! You can even buy dehydrated oyster meat, so it's been down. I would personally not go over 40 degrees else things might oxidize a bit. It should take about 4-5 days for the oysters to get dry enough so that you can grind them into powder.

OP
C

conrad0602

Fo' sho' man! You can even buy dehydrated oyster meat, so it's been down. I would personally not go over 40 degrees else things might oxidize a bit. It should take about 4-5 days for the oysters to get dry enough so that you can grind them into powder.
Thanks for this! So 40 degrees for 4-5 days for dehydrating the Oyster meat? Can the shells be powdered straight away or is there an prep ? Really appreciate your response :)

OP
C

conrad0602

This is good to know. Oysters arrived today so but will keep this in mind for the future for sure as I'm in the UK. I searched around but didn't come across as them ? cheers

golder

If you are in the UK or willing to import from there a company called Time Health already does this
Thanks! Do you know if they are good quality? Assuming they’re capsules, no binders/fillers/additives? Im in the UK as well so going to look into this brand further.

Hans

Forum Supporter
Thanks for this! So 40 degrees for 4-5 days for dehydrating the Oyster meat? Can the shells be powdered straight away or is there an prep ? Really appreciate your response :)
Below 40 I'd say. Around 30 at most maybe. Shells can be pulverized right away, but you might need a special grinder for that. :)

OP
C

conrad0602

Below 40 I'd say. Around 30 at most maybe. Shells can be pulverized right away, but you might need a special grinder for that. :)
Top man thanks :)

Edit: what would be a good dose of the powder if using daily do you think ?

Hans

Forum Supporter
Top man thanks :)

Edit: what would be a good dose of the powder if using daily do you think ?
Dehydration usually reduces the weight by 50%, so if you're usually eating 50g, then you're have to take about 25g (about 2 tbsps) to get the same amount.

This is good to know. Oysters arrived today so but will keep this in mind for the future for sure as I'm in the UK. I searched around but didn't come across as them ? cheers

I doubt you looked at all considering "oysters time health UK" gives them as top result on a search engine

Only bought it once and it seems to be ok all the Time Health supplements are just the main constituent in a capsule as well. I don't mind eating oysters though so don't really have a need for these..somebody else might

OP
C

conrad0602

I doubt you looked at all considering "oysters time health UK" gives them as top result on a search engine

Only bought it once and it seems to be ok all the Time Health supplements are just the main constituent in a capsule as well. I don't mind eating oysters though so don't really have a need for these..somebody else might
I searched for Oyster powder, not this particular product as I wasn't aware of it. Salty Indeed..

golder

Time Health brand is a good find, but we don’t know what temperature they dehydrate them. They may do they extremely quickly (which is likely as it will be faster and cheaper) and therefore oxidise and cause lots of unwanted byproducts.
At least Hans’ idea of getting a dehydrator and doing it around 30 degrees for 4-5 days will be the cleanest and safest way of doing it. What tempererure/duration do you use for liver @Hans

https://marinehealthfoods.com/product/oystermax/

I get these ones in the UK

Hans

Forum Supporter
Time Health brand is a good find, but we don’t know what temperature they dehydrate them. They may do they extremely quickly (which is likely as it will be faster and cheaper) and therefore oxidise and cause lots of unwanted byproducts.
At least Hans’ idea of getting a dehydrator and doing it around 30 degrees for 4-5 days will be the cleanest and safest way of doing it. What tempererure/duration do you use for liver @Hans
Just room temp (usually between 20-30C) at around 3-5 days depending on how quickly it dries.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals