6 Year Old With 6 Cavities

scarlettsmum

Been to dentist with 6 years old autistic daughter, has 6 cavities and worn enamel, teeth grinding perhaps or too much juice/fruit? Am addressing teeth grinding and behaviour with a low dose anti serotonin drug. Now onto the cavities: we are scheduled to have them all filled, btw. these are her milk teeth. I thought the reason she has so many cavities in first place is because she refuses dairy and eats lots of grains at preschool. Upon consultation with her paediatrician I am now giving her 1/2 tsp homemade egg shell powder in juice and 2 drops Thorne vit d/k daily.
I was reading on the net how egg shell calcium can heal cavities...is this a myth? I want to make a responsible decision and do what's best for her. Does it mean subjecting her to having her milk teeth filled and hope for better permanent teeth while keeping up the eggshell and supplemental vitamins in her diet or should I hope/keep my fingers crossed for egg shell to work wonders? Ultimately it is my decision, but am wondering if RP has a view on this or has anyone got experience with cavities and egg shells? Btw. my dentist says that if we don't fill it/treat it now, it will affect the new permanent teeth that will/could come out already as infected/damaged. Also my dentist is urging me to have X-rays done on her teeth which I think is too risky over any benefits in her age. What do you think?
Thanks!

Last edited:

Tarmander

I have never seen anything that says if you have a cavity in a baby tooth, you'll magically have cavities in your adult teeth when they come in. Maybe he is talking about just getting a general infection in the area? Sounds like fear mongering to me. I am not sure what your dentists are like, but in my area, they "discover" cavities often. I, as well as members of my family, have been offered treatments and fillings that, when getting a second opinion, the second dentist scratches his head. Are they bothering your daughter? Does she complain of tooth pain and trouble chewing? Dentistry can be lifesaving, but it can also be a bit of a racket.

OP
scarlettsmum

scarlettsmum

I have never seen anything that says if you have a cavity in a baby tooth, you'll magically have cavities in your adult teeth when they come in. Maybe he is talking about just getting a general infection in the area? Sounds like fear mongering to me. I am not sure what your dentists are like, but in my area, they "discover" cavities often. I, as well as members of my family, have been offered treatments and fillings that, when getting a second opinion, the second dentist scratches his head. Are they bothering your daughter? Does she complain of tooth pain and trouble chewing? Dentistry can be lifesaving, but it can also be a bit of a racket.
Thanks Tarmander, that is my feeling too. To seek another opinion, although I am worried that I may just be in denial because her teeth are visibly damaged from lack of enamel and I can see some more obvious cavities by myself.:( I was hoping it could just be remineralised or zapped with ozone, but was told the cavities are too big/deep/established for this to work. At least these are her first teeth! I'm hoping that with the eggshell calcium going forward and the anti serotonin she won't cause the same damage to her permanent teeth.

Tarmander

Thanks Tarmander, that is my feeling too. To seek another opinion, although I am worried that I may just be in denial because her teeth are visibly damaged from lack of enamel and I can see some more obvious cavities by myself.:( I was hoping it could just be remineralised or zapped with ozone, but was told the cavities are too big/deep/established for this to work. At least these are her first teeth! I'm hoping that with the eggshell calcium going forward and the anti serotonin she won't cause the same damage to her permanent teeth.

If she is having that much degradation, it's probably gut related. I remember peat mentioning a dentist that stopped doing surgery and just treated with the cyclines. It's tough to know exactly what could be the problem, you could try some
Natural antibiotics like charcoal and carrot, or try probiotics. Either might help depending on her.

OP
scarlettsmum

scarlettsmum

If she is having that much degradation, it's probably gut related. I remember peat mentioning a dentist that stopped doing surgery and just treated with the cyclines. It's tough to know exactly what could be the problem, you could try some
Natural antibiotics like charcoal and carrot, or try probiotics. Either might help depending on her.
Yes, I think you are right and i need to really focus on giving her daily carrot. Something so simple and yet effective that I think many people underestimate, including myself. It would be a lot easier if she actually wanted to eat it though! I will have to bribe her somehow.

EIRE24

You recommend probiotics?

Tarmander

You recommend probiotics?

Well kinda, not really. If my teeth were rotting and falling out I would try just about anything. I know the studies on the forum that talk about their dangers. But in real life i have talked to people who have gotten some benefits. The gut and it's microbiome can be so hit or miss with this kind of thing.

EIRE24

Well kinda, not really. If my teeth were rotting and falling out I would try just about anything. I know the studies on the forum that talk about their dangers. But in real life i have talked to people who have gotten some benefits. The gut and it's microbiome can be so hit or miss with this kind of thing.
I find it interesting. I don't want to hijack the persons thread but I suffer a bit with acne and dry skin. I think it's from food poisoning I got a while back and an unfavourable bacterial overgrowth. I always wondered if an anti biotic to kill off what is there and then build back beneficial bacteria with probiotics. All good in theory I guess but it could go horribly wrong

Tarmander

I find it interesting. I don't want to hijack the persons thread but I suffer a bit with acne and dry skin. I think it's from food poisoning I got a while back and an unfavourable bacterial overgrowth. I always wondered if an anti biotic to kill off what is there and then build back beneficial bacteria with probiotics. All good in theory I guess but it could go horribly wrong

Yeah it is interesting. I think the theory is that if you are eating the local foods, there is bacteria on it that also likes those foods. Those bacteria inhabit your gut and help take care of some of the more burdensome parts of what you are eating. A good example being the oxalate eating bacteria found on vegetables high in oaxalates like cabbage. Perhaps an interesting experiment would be to naturally ferment the foods you regularly eat and eat those after an antibiotic treatment to get the specific bacteria for those foods.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals