Sprouting Legumes Not Satisfactory To Make Beans Nutritionally Bioavailable?

yerrag

In an article Ray Peat, Ray Peat states:

In fact, the protein value of grain is negligible, mainly because seeds contain their protein in a storage form, that is extremely rich in nitrogen, but poor in essential amino acids. Special preparation is needed to reduce the toxicity of seeds, and in the case of beans, these methods are never very satisfactory.

I couldn't find any references about how and why "special preparation... in the case of beans, these methods are never very satisfactory." Since I eat sprouted beans (mung, kidney, garbanzo or chickpeas) and consider it as my part of lessening my intake of animal sources (pork, chicken, beef, lamb, goat), I have an interest in knowing if sprouting beans would be sufficient to prepare the beans for consumption. I understand beans contain many anti-nutrients that interferes with the breakdown of their protein content, and think that sprouting involves water causing the bean to germinate. In the process, many enzymes are activated which would destroy or convert these anti-nutrients, making the beans' protein bioavailable for our consumption.

Does anyone have references to support Ray Peat's point, or counter it? Thanks.

OP
yerrag

yerrag

Thank you, Liubo! I heard what I wanted to hear! But as you said, the question refers to grains, and not legumes. I'm inclined to view the answer from the standpoint of grains and legumes being seeds, and if grains and beans can be sprouted, the toxicity of the anti-nutrients can be lessened, if not eliminated, with sprouting. Ray goes on to say well-cooked sprouted grains can be nutritious.

I feel better about eating sprouted grains and beans now, and would avoid eating grains and beans that aren't sprouted. I believe that when Ray discourages consumption of grains and beans, he is referring to the regular garden variety- the unsprouted ones.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals