Fried CANNED Oysters

Literally

I am lucky to live in a place where I can get wonderful fresh oysters in season. But they aren't in season all of the time and they aren't cheap. So like many people here I have developed some recipes for canned oysters.

At some point I wondered if it would be possibly to fry them. My initial attempts to find a recipe were disappointing... and when you can't find a recipe for something there is usually a reason. I found some people stating they tried and that the oysters were badly overcooked.

Then I found the following tip: freeze them for 30-40 minutes before frying. It worked quite well. I used an 8 oz can of unsmoked whole oysters, from which I probably only got 5-6 ounces because I used only the biggest, intact ones. I made a batter out of 1 part corn meal, 2 parts white rice flour and 1 part potato starch, plus some salt, baking powder and Old Bay seasoning. I didn't dredge them before freezing... instead I did it right after I pulled them out, and just before frying in about 1/3" of coconut oil. Fry 1-2 minutes per side, just until the batter is nice and crispy, which is enough to warm the oysters through.

So the verdict... they were quite good, and I'll be making this again. Certainly not as good as fresh oysters, but they weren't noticeably overcooked or mushy.

For sure it's not the Peat-iest meal ever, but a tasty way to get some oysters. And I consider the starches used to be among the safer ones.

meatbag

Nice, yeah sometimes I can only find the canned ones in cottonseed oil so I drain and rinse with water then soak them in water and drain again.

Have you tried frying with Masa Harina (nixtamalized corn flour)? Its good and I think Peat said its the safest starch because the nixtamalization process
What is Nixtamalization? (with pictures)

mrchibbs

As good as fried oysters are, I experienced the same thing with canned oysters, they're difficult to use because they've broken apart most of the time.
And fried fresh oysters is amazing, but you need to buy loads to make it worth your while.

An oyster soup/stew is an easier alternative for canned oysters I find.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals