Calcium:Magnesium ratio

dd99

I've been getting 3,000mg of calcium and 500mg of magnesium a day from food, but Cronometer indicates that my cal:mag ratio is way off at 6:1 and should be closer to 2.5:1. (I've also been getting under 3,000 phosphorous, and 7,000 potassium and 3,500 sodium.)

I'd appreciate your views on the cal mag ratio! I read somewhere recently that people with high cal mag ratios are 'ticking time bombs for stroke'. Of course, that's from a mainstream article, but it's always disquieting to read that sort of comment.

(I recall reading that RP thinks it's the total amount of alkaline minerals that matter and not the individual amounts. But if they can substitute for each other, why would there be different alkaline minerals?)

tara

I don't know the answer to your question, though I'm interested.
But my understanding of Peat is that magnesium requirements are dependent on other factors too, including thyroid function and sodium intake (which you mentioned). Someone with low thyroid function loses Mg faster, and so needs to intake more and/or eat more salt to reduce Mg losses. I don't think I've seen Peat promoting the 2.5:1 Ca:Mg ratio. At least under some circumstances, I think he has suggested that 2000mg Ca can be good for many, and that 400mg Mg is enough for most people, and people with good thyroid function may be OK with less.

OP
dd99

dd99

Thanks, tara. I dug the following quote out from Rob Turner's article on estrogen dominance and magnesium deficiency:
RP said:
“The toxic effects of excessive intracellular calcium (decreased respiration and increased excitation) are opposed by magnesium. Both thyroid and progesterone improve magnesium retention. Estrogen dominance is often associated with magnesium deficiency, which can be an important factor in osteoporosis (Abraham and Grewal, 1990; Muneyyirci-Delale, et al., 1999).”
I definitely have too much estrogen (red dots, gyno, etc) and have been supporting my liver over the past 6 or so weeks (K2, caffeine). Perhaps I need even more than 500mg magnesium a day?

nikotrope

Salt is important for the balance of calcium and magnesium. Salt also helps retain magnesium, and it excretes (excess?) calcium. You could try to take extra magnesium to see if it makes you better. And also some more salt.

OP
dd99

dd99

Thanks nikotrope. Is 3,500mg not enough sodium? I don't feel like I skimp on the salt! I've tried supplementing magnesium to 1,000mg (3:1 ratio with calcium), but don't feel much different, apart from looser BMs.

nikotrope

3.5g is probably enough unless you are too much hypo or stress hormones are too high.

Same experience as you for the magnesium. And epsom salts didn't do anything for me too (i didn't use a lot though).

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals