Cake As A Metabolic Food?

_lppaiva

I mean, with a few tweaks, and this is probably how it would have been done before the fear mongering of Saturated fats anyway, it's seems like a pretty metabolic food.

2 cup of sugar
4 tablespoons of of butter
1 to 1½ cups of milk
3 eggs
3 cups white flour
A teaspoon of sodium bicarbonate

The main issue might be white flour, but still, a lot of people on the forum seem to be pro flour. I read there are other issues besides gluten.

Anyway, in my "fitness" days, I always wondered why in my country cake is such a popular food even for those who live in more rural areas, but I guess it's a good, tasty way to incorporate these foods in your diet, specially in the context of quality, fresh products. If using pasture eggs and fresh milk and butter, this can also be a pretty nutrient packed food.

Also, since they already live/lived a stress-free life, with proper nourishment and digestion, lack of exposure to toxins, etc, the gluten probably wasn't much of an issue.

lampofred

I don't think it's bad in moderation. Far better than foods with high PUFA & added iron. Be careful with glyphosate in table sugar though, and in the long-run, if overdone the excess fat could cause clogging/weight gain, and the refined sugar could deplete vital minerals.

I feel bad for people who stay away from cake but end up poisoning themselves with PUFA & iron in the name of health.

It's unfortunate how this is the first time in known history that so many people are able to afford quality nutritious food, yet everything is polluted.

Most store bought cake is high in pufa. A old recipe uses vegetable oil and is almost universally used in store bought and bakery cake. Beware.

Tenacity

Most store bought cake is high in pufa. A old recipe uses vegetable oil and is almost universally used in store bought and bakery cake. Beware.
I used to fit carpets, and I once went to a customer's house and she offered us cake. She said, 'I made it with vegetable oil this time, apparently it's much healthier than butter.'

lampofred

I used to fit carpets, and I once went to a customer's house and she offered us cake. She said, 'I made it with vegetable oil this time, apparently it's much healthier than butter.'

I usually try mind my own business but when people say things like that I legitimately feel guilty if I don't try to tell them how PUFA goes rancid in high heat and poisons every tissue of the body.

ExCarniv

I mean, with a few tweaks, and this is probably how it would have been done before the fear mongering of Saturated fats anyway, it's seems like a pretty metabolic food.

2 cup of sugar
4 tablespoons of of butter
1 to 1½ cups of milk
3 eggs
3 cups white flour
A teaspoon of sodium bicarbonate

The main issue might be white flour, but still, a lot of people on the forum seem to be pro flour. I read there are other issues besides gluten.

Anyway, in my "fitness" days, I always wondered why in my country cake is such a popular food even for those who live in more rural areas, but I guess it's a good, tasty way to incorporate these foods in your diet, specially in the context of quality, fresh products. If using pasture eggs and fresh milk and butter, this can also be a pretty nutrient packed food.

Also, since they already live/lived a stress-free life, with proper nourishment and digestion, lack of exposure to toxins, etc, the gluten probably wasn't much of an issue.

My issue with white flour is not gluten but iron and vitamin fortification, they put cheap synthetic forms that cause issues for me, I do well with unenriched italian pasta.

If you can get unenriched white flour I think that recipe is pretty good.

OP
_lppaiva

_lppaiva

Be careful with glyphosate in table sugar though

Really? I haven't found anything about glyphosate being used to grow sugar cane. Are you sure about that?

if overdone the excess fat could cause clogging/weight gain, and the refined sugar could deplete vital minerals.

I honestly don't know what would be a low fat diet in "Peat Standards". Also, I think once your more metabolically healthy you can increase your fat intake as your muscles will burn fat at rest. I aim for 45-55g of fats in a 2200kcal diet, with 4g max coming from PUFA. Hope I'm not doing any harm. I just need to cook with something and it ends up adding up.

You can mix up the recipe. It's already pretty high carb, with 75C/28F/5%P, but I think you can try it out with less butter and skim milk. You can also try using 5 whites and 3 Yolk. I don't know if the cake will have problems rising though.

OP
_lppaiva

_lppaiva

Most store bought cake is high in pufa.

Yeah, perhaps I didn't make myself clear, my bad. I know cakes are loaded with vegetable oils, I wanted to say they MAY be metabolic if done correctly. After all, eggs, milk, sugar and butter is basically Peat's diet anyway.

A old recipe uses vegetable oil

Perhaps it's a local thing then. My grandma always used butter, unenriched flour, pasture eggs and raw milk.

ExCarniv

Really? I haven't found anything about glyphosate being used to grow sugar cane. Are you sure about that?

I honestly don't know what would be a low fat diet in "Peat Standards". Also, I think once your more metabolically healthy you can increase your fat intake as your muscles will burn fat at rest. I aim for 45-55g of fats in a 2200kcal diet, with 4g max coming from PUFA. Hope I'm not doing any harm. I just need to cook with something and it ends up adding up.

You can mix up the recipe. It's already pretty high carb, with 75C/28F/5%P, but I think you can try it out with less butter and skim milk. You can also try using 5 whites and 3 Yolk. I don't know if the cake will have problems rising though.

Yeah I think if you are lean enough, 50-60g of fat are pretty safe. And if most days you are on the low side, probably one day of overdoing fat won't cause too much harm, specially if you follow this recipe.

Tenacity

I usually try mind my own business but when people say things like that I legitimately feel guilty if I don't try to tell them how PUFA goes rancid in high heat and poisons every tissue of the body.

I was polite and ate it with fortitude!

morgan#1

I was reading the posts and it all made sense, things you guys were cautioning against. Just the normal stuff and I thought this is great that we think this is important and for the most part we’re on the same page. If I were to talk to most people either they would bored or not know what I was talking about or both,

And I love cake.
Especially wedding cake.

pepsi

So did you try it? How does it taste? You can also add cocoa powder to make chocolate cake.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
There’s a good flourless chocolate cake recipe on here too. I used to make it around the holidays every year.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Here’s the recipe!
Hey @meatbag - not milk powder BUT cocoa powder. I make my own brownies and eat one in the morning with coffee. It is just like a cake. SUPER EASY. Here is the recipe:

1) 0.5 cup sugar

2) 0.5 cup cocoa powder

3) 2 eggs

4) 1 tb butter

5) pinch of salt

6) 1 tsp vanilla

Instructions:

*Mix sugar and butter, salt in a saucepan over low until butter melts.

*Place in mixing bowl and let cool for one min. Add in vanilla while cooling.

*Put cocoa powder in a clean bowl. Add in sugar and butter.

*Mix in beaten eggs until batter has a pancake consistency: smooth and creamy.

*Pour in greased baking pan. I use Le Creuset ceramic dish and I use butter to grease pan.

*Bake at 350 for 22 mins.

*Remove and let sit out and cool for 15 min before removing from pan.

Hints
*Do not refrigerate and CAUTION it is super easy to eat the whole pan in one go. Exercise restraint. LOLOL.
*heat sugar and butter only enough to barely melt and blend together with spoon or fork.
*I put a pinch of sea salt in with butter and sugar, adds in another taste layer.
* I grease the baking dish with butter - grease it a lot to be truthful.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals