1939 America averaged 3500 calories a day!

Aad

People were walking more than 10 miles/day, every day.

Eating good quality food.

None of these cancer filled food we have today.

Hugh Johnson

I looked up some articles, and this sort of argument seems to dominate the mainstream. Tldr: calories have gone up since the 60s where people are some 2k calories a day to some 2,4k calories.

I usually assume mainstream is full of crap though so I am not saying any of this is reliable.

hei

This Dutch study from 1983 says the men averaged 3005kcal and that leaner men ate somewhat more on average (but it wasn't significant).
The authors complain about the diet:
In comparison with a prudent diet (28,29), the proportional intake of fat is slightly higher and the intake of sugar is rather high in the present study population. The contribution of poly-unsaturated fatty acids to total fat intake is lower than recommended. In addition, the intake of dietary cholesterol is rather high especially in males, and the proportional intake from total protein is slightly higher than recommended, especially in females.

Daft

Can you share the blog post?

Very interesting finding - solid evidence to support investigation and questioning of a lot of modern assumptions!

Lollipop2

People were walking more than 10 miles/day, every day.

Eating good quality food.

None of these cancer filled food we have today.

Americans are eating more ultra-processed foods​

18-year study measures increase in industrially manufactured foods that may be contributing to obesity and other diseases​