Bromocriptine

Discussion in 'Pharmaceutical Drugs' started by cliff, Apr 24, 2013.

1. cliff

cliff Member

Anyone have experience with this? negative side effects? dosing? etc.

2. chris

chris Member

"Bromocriptine shouldn't be used for more than a few weeks, prolonged use can cause heart valve fibrosis (a sign that it has serotoninergic effects, as well as anti-)." - Ray Peat

3. Joocy_J

Joocy_J Member

Just wanted to write a quick note on this drug. It helps A LOT with concentration/motivation, I am using it with cypro right now and I love it.

4. mujuro

mujuro Member

I would like to use it more, but it kills my appetite and gives me the worst nasal congestion. That's not the worst part though. If I happen to time the dose wrong or don't eat enough food with it, I am struck down by the worst nausea imaginable. Bromocriptine really set a new level of nausea for me; I had no idea nausea could reach such an intensity. I literally sit over a bucket, drooling into it, waiting for the vomit that never comes.

5. FredSonoma

FredSonoma Member

How does it effect your libido?

6. Joocy_J

Joocy_J Member

It has no effect on my libido. I just feel more focused.

7. Joocy_J

Joocy_J Member

That sucks. I get no sides from it thankfully, but I have taken a lot of lsd/mushrooms in the past and I have a feeling that my body is somehow used to chemicals with a similar structure such as bromo.

I have heard the nasal congestion is common on bromo.

8. paymanz

paymanz Member

at what dosage did you used it?

9. tomisonbottom

tomisonbottom Member

What dose were you taking and for how long?

10. mujuro

mujuro Member

5mg for about 11 weeks.

11. tomisonbottom

tomisonbottom Member

Thanks!

Did you work up to that dose or go straight to it?

12. mujuro

mujuro Member

Straight to it. Nausea didn't affect me for a long time. Not until the last few weeks.

13. LCohen

LCohen Member

When I first started it gave me a terrible headache. I was using it just for one day (2.5mg) and discontinue.

Then I challenged myself; for a week I started to take it continuous. First two days was terrible again but after 3 days headache was completely gone. I am still shocked lol. I even upped my dosage to 5 mg. No headache, no nausea whatsoever. I'm now really loving this drug, here's my experiences:

+ Decreased prolactin of course lol. My hypothyroid symptoms greatly reduced,
    + Digestion greatly improved,
    + Reduced fatigue and mind fog; more motivated,
    + More stable sex drive/libido,
    + My belly and face look like more defined. But not sure about this one,
    - A little bit feeling dizzy..

14. Blossom

Blossom Moderator

As a long time on and off user of bromocriptine I've found it easier to tolerate by starting with a 1.25mg dose and increasing to 2.5mg after 3 days minimum if side effects have subsided. I also notice the nausea is greatly reduced by taking it with a meal.

15. Luckytype

Luckytype Member

@Rio what symptoms were mainly reduced and after roughly how long?

16. LCohen

LCohen Member

It has been just 7-8 days. I don't use it for a long time.

I think it's main benefit come from anti-prolactin effect. Prolactin (with cortisol) messes up thyroid. While decreasing prolactin I can easily say it improves fatigue, digestion, temps. Other effects I listed not that strong/main effects.

It also used for diabetes and weight loss. You might wanna look for it since you are weightlifting..

17. Luckytype

Luckytype Member

Thanks alot, ive actually have intentionally stopped any serious lifting for a while until i start to feel better or see a change in my labs.

I dont know if in the US there are ways to get this unless its prescribed and frankly I dont think docs will prescribe this to me even for short term

18. LCohen

LCohen Member

Yes, on-off using can be really harsh on first 3-4 days if you can't tolerate it. Then it will be fine.

But it's better take it morning with an empty stomach. It's will be more effective, effects will last much longer, if you can tolerate it.

I also experimented with Bromocriptine + Cyproheptadine and Bromocriptine + Cyproheptadine + Mianserin. But it black me out lol.

19. ddjd

ddjd Member

Why does it cause nasal congestion? I have the same issue

20. mujuro

mujuro Member

Well it’s known to cause vasospasm so it probably has some dilating effects on the nasal capillaries or something.