Bromocriptine

cliff

Anyone have experience with this? negative side effects? dosing? etc.

chris

"Bromocriptine shouldn't be used for more than a few weeks, prolonged use can cause heart valve fibrosis (a sign that it has serotoninergic effects, as well as anti-)." - Ray Peat

Joocy_J

Just wanted to write a quick note on this drug. It helps A LOT with concentration/motivation, I am using it with cypro right now and I love it.

mujuro

I would like to use it more, but it kills my appetite and gives me the worst nasal congestion. That's not the worst part though. If I happen to time the dose wrong or don't eat enough food with it, I am struck down by the worst nausea imaginable. Bromocriptine really set a new level of nausea for me; I had no idea nausea could reach such an intensity. I literally sit over a bucket, drooling into it, waiting for the vomit that never comes.

FredSonoma

Joocy_J said:
post 103985 Just wanted to write a quick note on this drug. It helps A LOT with concentration/motivation, I am using it with cypro right now and I love it.

How does it effect your libido?

Last edited by a moderator:

Joocy_J

FredSonoma said:
post 104057
Joocy_J said:
post 103985 Just wanted to write a quick note on this drug. It helps A LOT with concentration/motivation, I am using it with cypro right now and I love it.

How does it effect your libido?

It has no effect on my libido. I just feel more focused.

Joocy_J

mujuro said:
post 103987 I would like to use it more, but it kills my appetite and gives me the worst nasal congestion. That's not the worst part though. If I happen to time the dose wrong or don't eat enough food with it, I am struck down by the worst nausea imaginable. Bromocriptine really set a new level of nausea for me; I had no idea nausea could reach such an intensity. I literally sit over a bucket, drooling into it, waiting for the vomit that never comes.

That sucks. I get no sides from it thankfully, but I have taken a lot of lsd/mushrooms in the past and I have a feeling that my body is somehow used to chemicals with a similar structure such as bromo.

I have heard the nasal congestion is common on bromo.

tomisonbottom

I would like to use it more, but it kills my appetite and gives me the worst nasal congestion. That's not the worst part though. If I happen to time the dose wrong or don't eat enough food with it, I am struck down by the worst nausea imaginable. Bromocriptine really set a new level of nausea for me; I had no idea nausea could reach such an intensity. I literally sit over a bucket, drooling into it, waiting for the vomit that never comes.

What dose were you taking and for how long?

LCohen

When I first started it gave me a terrible headache. I was using it just for one day (2.5mg) and discontinue.

Then I challenged myself; for a week I started to take it continuous. First two days was terrible again but after 3 days headache was completely gone. I am still shocked lol. I even upped my dosage to 5 mg. No headache, no nausea whatsoever. I'm now really loving this drug, here's my experiences:

+ Decreased prolactin of course lol. My hypothyroid symptoms greatly reduced,
+ Digestion greatly improved,
+ Reduced fatigue and mind fog; more motivated,
+ More stable sex drive/libido,
+ My belly and face look like more defined. But not sure about this one,
- A little bit feeling dizzy..

Blossom

Forum Supporter
As a long time on and off user of bromocriptine I've found it easier to tolerate by starting with a 1.25mg dose and increasing to 2.5mg after 3 days minimum if side effects have subsided. I also notice the nausea is greatly reduced by taking it with a meal.

Luckytype

When I first started it gave me a terrible headache. I was using it just for one day (2.5mg) and discontinue.

Then I challenged myself; for a week I started to take it continuous. First two days was terrible again but after 3 days headache was completely gone. I am still shocked lol. I even upped my dosage to 5 mg. No headache, no nausea whatsoever. I'm now really loving this drug, here's my experiences:

+ Decreased prolactin of course lol. My hypothyroid symptoms greatly reduced,
+ Digestion greatly improved,
+ Reduced fatigue and mind fog; more motivated,
+ More stable sex drive/libido,
+ My belly and face look like more defined. But not sure about this one,
- A little bit feeling dizzy..

@Rio what symptoms were mainly reduced and after roughly how long?

LCohen

@Rio what symptoms were mainly reduced and after roughly how long?

It has been just 7-8 days. I don't use it for a long time.

I think it's main benefit come from anti-prolactin effect. Prolactin (with cortisol) messes up thyroid. While decreasing prolactin I can easily say it improves fatigue, digestion, temps. Other effects I listed not that strong/main effects.

It also used for diabetes and weight loss. You might wanna look for it since you are weightlifting..

Luckytype

It has been just 7-8 days. I don't use it for a long time.

I think it's main benefit come from anti-prolactin effect. Prolactin (with cortisol) messes up thyroid. While decreasing prolactin I can easily say it improves fatigue, digestion, temps. Other effects I listed not that strong/main effects.

It also used for diabetes and weight loss. You might wanna look for it since you are weightlifting..
Thanks alot, ive actually have intentionally stopped any serious lifting for a while until i start to feel better or see a change in my labs.

I dont know if in the US there are ways to get this unless its prescribed and frankly I dont think docs will prescribe this to me even for short term

LCohen

As a long time on and off user of bromocriptine I've found it easier to tolerate by starting with a 1.25mg dose and increasing to 2.5mg after 3 days minimum if side effects have subsided. I also notice the nausea is greatly reduced by taking it with a meal.

Yes, on-off using can be really harsh on first 3-4 days if you can't tolerate it. Then it will be fine.

But it's better take it morning with an empty stomach. It's will be more effective, effects will last much longer, if you can tolerate it.

I also experimented with Bromocriptine + Cyproheptadine and Bromocriptine + Cyproheptadine + Mianserin. But it black me out lol.

ddjd

Why does it cause nasal congestion? I have the same issue