What Is The Best Prescription Drug For Hyperprolactinemia?

Kunstruct

What is the best prescription drug for it? I see here doctors prescribe in general Carbergoline and rarely Bromocriptine?

Is Bromocriptine better than Cabergoline?

Has one more affinity to boosting serotonin than the other? Of there's isn't any issue like that.

Are other types like Lisuride just as effective? or Metergoline?

I would like not to talk about lifestyle and causes because it is all extremely complicated and it is not me personally with the condition, all I can say TSH is perfect, it's confirmed prolactine is massive for several months and now the doctor is ready for issuing the prescription.

I was curious if there are better one than Carbergoline out there.

golder

Would also be really interested in a breakdown/summary of the pros and cons of all of these prolactin reducers. I@m on the hunt for the best one to use as well!

lampofred

Don't know about the rest but I heard prolonged bromo used has a risk of causing heart fibrosis because of 5 ht 2b agonism.

Lisuride seems to have virtually no side effects. I’m sure if you dice and slice, they each may block slightly different enzymatic pathways but lisuride is very benign.

Bromocroptine is more typically prescribed and at lower doses it doesn’t cause fibrosis. But it can cause nausea and I think lisuride is a better choice.

golder

Do
Lisuride seems to have virtually no side effects. I’m sure if you dice and slice, they each may block slightly different enzymatic pathways but lisuride is very benign.

Bromocroptine is more typically prescribed and at lower doses it doesn’t cause fibrosis. But it can cause nausea and I think lisuride is a better choice.
doesnt Haidut state that Lisuride can cause fibrosis and metergoline doesnt? Why would one choose Lisuride over metergoline for prolactin reduction out of curiosity? Thanks for everyone’s input!

LuMonty

I used lisuride (Idealabs) for weeks and had no measurable reduction in prolaction. Bromocriptine had immediate effect and has caused continued improvement for about 2 weeks now. I haven't read the Idealabs lisuride page here for awhile but I'd just read that opening post. It wouldn't do his work justice for me to copy-paste a few small parts.

I can only speak for me personally, but I'm going to stick with what works despite the potential issues. I had a fibrotic heart valve but it went away when I restarted my coffee habit. I'd assume that's from the same way it works on the liver.

Luk3

I used Meter. You could try Vit E if you want to stay away from drugs.

Hans

Forum Supporter
I used Meter. You could try Vit E if you want to stay away from drugs.
Yeah I just wanted to say the same thing, why not use vitamin E, it's potent anti-prolactin. Combine that with aspirin, which is anti-estrogen, anti-cortisol and anti-serotonin, you should be able to lower prolactin quite effectively.

golder

Anyone got any suggestions of good daily dosages (oral or topical?) and timings for vitamin E and aspirin for prolactin lowering?

Hans

Forum Supporter
Anyone got any suggestions of good daily dosages (oral or topical?) and timings for vitamin E and aspirin for prolactin lowering?
400-800IU vitamin E with 1g aspirin daily.

The thyroid-lowering effect of higher dosed Vitamin E was never replicated,
there is only one small-scale about it,so you are OK to dose accordingly.

800IU-3200IU were used in studies, as d-alpha-tocopherol-acetate.
Free Form is also useable,but less stable and highly light-sensitive,also,d-alpha-tocopherol-succinate.
I would strongly advise oral intake.Skin uptake is likely unknown and variable.

ilhanxx

dostinex -cabergoline, so powerful but after a meanwhile it causes dopamin desensitization.

High_Prob

The thyroid-lowering effect of higher dosed Vitamin E was never replicated,
there is only one small-scale about it,so you are OK to dose accordingly.

800IU-3200IU were used in studies, as d-alpha-tocopherol-acetate.
Free Form is also useable,but less stable and highly light-sensitive,also,d-alpha-tocopherol-succinate.
I would strongly advise oral intake.Skin uptake is likely unknown and variable.

There is a possibility that succinate would not be a good choice to decrease Prolactin (A rat study but thought it was worth mentioning):

https://www.researchgate.net/public...se_From_Rat_Anterior_Pituitary_Cells_in_vitro

Last edited:
OP
K

Kunstruct

Lisuride has a very low half-life, around 2 hours.
Not sure how effective is for someone who has been found to have 2 tiny adenoma on their pituitary.
Another matter is that the person is highly agitated and stresses out of everything before having this issue, which is highly detrimental to life.

Bromocriptine, Metergoline around 12 hour half life.
Carbergoline is supposed to have a huge half-life, not sure if it matter that much.
The only issue with so called Dopamine agonists is how much they stimulate Serotonin receptors at the same time.