Both "long" COVID-19 and CFS are likely caused by hypometabolism

haidut

Forum Supporter
A good study that examines the remarkable parallels between the so-called "long" COVID-19 (i.e. chronic display of symptoms associated with COVID-19) and the (in)famous chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS). Namely, increases inflammation, excessive glycolysis, suppressed mitochondrial function and decreased synthesis of ATP. Despite all of these known signs of both pathologies, no study so-far (including the new one below) has suggested treatments with thyroid or other pro-metabolic therapies. For some reason, the therapies suggested by mainstream doctors revolve around antioxidants, and hydration therapies, which, while likely helpful, do not address the underlying cause. Considering both COVID-19 and its common therapies such as glucocorticoids suppress thyroid function, IMO addressing the thyroid angle as well as the inflammatory response should be the primary goal in regards to treating both "short" and "long" COVID-19, as well as CFS. Something as simple as progesterone administration could be a game-changer for these conditions due to both the pro-metabolic effects of progesterone, as well as its direct anti-viral effects combined with anti-inflammatory and (contrary to glucocorticoids) pro-immunity effects. Btw, based on the evidence available so far it is rather clear that CFS is little more than chronic hypometabolic state triggered by a cytokine storm or the stress reaction associated with either the original viral infection or its "treatments".

Redox imbalance links COVID-19 and myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome
"...Although most patients recover from acute COVID-19, some experience postacute sequelae of severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 infection (PASC). One subgroup of PASC is a syndrome called “long COVID-19,” reminiscent of myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS). ME/CFS is a debilitating condition, often triggered by viral and bacterial infections, leading to years-long debilitating symptoms including profound fatigue, postexertional malaise, unrefreshing sleep, cognitive deficits, and orthostatic intolerance. Some are skeptical that either ME/CFS or long COVID-19 involves underlying biological abnormalities. However, in this review, we summarize the evidence that people with acute COVID-19 and with ME/CFS have biological abnormalities including redox imbalance, systemic inflammation and neuroinflammation, an impaired ability to generate adenosine triphosphate, and a general hypometabolic state. These phenomena have not yet been well studied in people with long COVID-19, and each of them has been reported in other diseases as well, particularly neurological diseases. We also examine the bidirectional relationship between redox imbalance, inflammation, energy metabolic deficits, and a hypometabolic state. We speculate as to what may be causing these abnormalities. Thus, understanding the molecular underpinnings of both PASC and ME/CFS may lead to the development of novel therapeutics."

"...Several therapies targeting redox imbalance already have been utilized or proposed for the treatment of disease. NO inhibits the replication of SARS-CoV-2 in vitro (154) and improves oxygenation in people with COVID-19 when administered by inhalation (155). Small studies of ubiquinol (156) and of a combination of NADH and CoQ10 (157) have reported clinical benefit. Many other potential treatments targeting redox imbalance also deserve consideration: for example, glutathione (and glutathione donors), N-acetyl cysteine, cysteamine, sulforaphane, ubiquinol, nicotinamide, melatonin, selenium, vitamin C, vitamin D, vitamin E, melatonin plus pentoxyfylline, disulfiram, ebselen, and corticosteroids. In two cases of acute COVID-19, glutathione administered therapeutically counteracted dyspnea associated with COVID-19 pneumonia and reduced pulmonary inflammation (158)."

"...People with acute COVID-19 and people with ME/CFS share redox imbalance, systemic inflammation and neuroinflammation, impaired production of ATP and other abnormalities in common (Fig. 2), abnormalities that have bidirectional connections (169). The syndrome of long COVID-19 that can develop in some COVID-19 survivors (people called “long haulers”) is very similar to ME/CFS, so it may well be that the group of abnormalities seen in acute COVID-19 and in ME/CFS also will be seen in long COVID-19. Presumably, redox abnormalities in COVID-19 are secondary to the infection with SARS-CoV-2. The same may be true among those ME/CFS patients whose illness began with an “infectious-like” illness. Clearly, COVID-19–induced permanent damage to the lungs (chronic hypoxia), heart (congestive failure), and kidneys (fluid and acid-base abnormalities) could cause some of the persisting symptoms seen in long COVID-19. In both long COVID-19 and ME/CFS other symptoms (e.g., fatigue, brain fog) may be generated by neuroinflammation, reduced cerebral perfusion due to autonomic dysfunction, and autoantibodies directed at neural targets, as summarized elsewhere (170). As many as 2.5 million people suffer from ME/CFS in the United States (6). The COVID-19 pandemic may generate a similar number of cases of long COVID-19 in the coming 1 to 2 y (5). It therefore is imperative that increased research be focused on both long COVID-19 and ME/CFS. Fortunately, the United States and several other countries have committed substantial funding to study chronic illnesses following COVID-19, one of which is long COVID-19. Two registries and associated biobanks of people with long COVID-19 and/or ME/CFS are available to aid research.* We suggest that the study of the connections between redox imbalance, inflammation, and energy metabolism in long COVID-19 and in ME/CFS may lead to improvements in both new diagnostics and therapies."

Explorer

Still Peating has not solved my post orgasmic illness syndrome yet my Free T3 is above the reference range and androgens normal, cortisol is slightly above the reference range and DHEA-SO4 is on the lower end of reference range and TSH is 3.0 and hsCRP 3.0

K

Kaur Singh

Berquist said in an interview dated May, that they are next trying out the approaches outlined in the paper.
This may mean thyroid supplementation (and other hormones, etc)

Last edited by a moderator:
Still Peating has not solved my post orgasmic illness syndrome yet my Free T3 is above the reference range and androgens normal, cortisol is slightly above the reference range and DHEA-SO4 is on the lower end of reference range and TSH is 3.0 and hsCRP 3.0

blood test for T3 are meaningless. You have to use temperature and heart rate. The fact that your TSH is three means that you are hypothyroid.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter

In addition to what @ecstatichamster mentioned above, I would also add that tests for "free" steroids, thyroid or otherwise, are even more meaningless. The only thing they show is how much TBG you produce, which is the protein that carries the thyroid hormones in the blood. High free T3 means low TBG, which is not a good sign as it implies hypothyroidism and potentially liver issues as well as that protein is produced by liver. It is the total T3/T4 tests, which are better indication of how well the thyroid gland is working.

So, if thyroid tests are done they should always include at a minimum TSH, and both free and total T4/T3, and ideally reverse T3 (rT3) as well. tests for liver function done at the same time as thyroid help even more with intereting thyroid results, but even those are not enough without considering temps/pulse as well.

That's very interesting @haidut thank you.

It is just so easy to take your temperatures during the day and your heart rate and you can begin fixing hypo symptoms. No blood tests needed.

So my question is, if you have "long covid" is it really a matter of taking thyroid and will that speed your recovery?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
That's very interesting @haidut thank you.

It is just so easy to take your temperatures during the day and your heart rate and you can begin fixing hypo symptoms. No blood tests needed.

So my question is, if you have "long covid" is it really a matter of taking thyroid and will that speed your recovery?

Sure, thyroid and/or progesterone as I mentioned in my post. Progesterone has direct anti-viral effects too. And if it is dissolved in tocopherols, it can probably outshine even the "blockbuster" treatments like remdesivir.

Explorer

blood test for T3 are meaningless. You have to use temperature and heart rate. The fact that your TSH is three means that you are hypothyroid.
My temperature is 36.9 Celsius on average though and heartrate 90-100

My liver enzymes were elevated too and I have high morning cortisol and lower side DHEA-SO4, what could all of that mean?

When I was a teenager my TSH was 2.0

What is the source of my hypothyroidism and how to fix that?

DonLore

Sure, thyroid and/or progesterone as I mentioned in my post. Progesterone has direct anti-viral effects too. And if it is dissolved in tocopherols, it can probably outshine even the "blockbuster" treatments like remdesivir.
@haidut what would be most cost-effective idealabs supplements to dig myself out of "long-covid" or whatever hypometabolic state I am still suffering from? Progesterone is what you recommend, what else? I have been using aspirin, niacinamide, thiamine and eating low-pufa, lots of OJ, liver, gelatin, shellfish etc. But I am still intolerant to stress, exhausted etc. I want to get rid of this quickly, and I will order supps that are most effective

conrad0602

My temperature is 36.9 Celsius on average though and heartrate 90-100

My liver enzymes were elevated too and I have high morning cortisol and lower side DHEA-SO4, what could all of that mean?

When I was a teenager my TSH was 2.0

What is the source of my hypothyroidism and how to fix that?
I also had good thyroid labs (and androgen levels) to the point I'd have been more likely to be diagnosed hyperthyroid. I also had an average temp 37c+ and 90bpm.. everything else pointed to hypo though so I have been introducing some thyroid slowly. Within 2 weeks my temps are as low as 35c and pulse is dropping slowly too and other things are starting to move in the right direction. So stress metabolism was seemingly masking quite bad hypothyroid as I suspected and thyroid/diet is bringing me out of it at long last. Doctors have been really unhelpful. Listen to your body and try not to rely too much on blood tests. Or doctors!

conrad0602

@haidut what would be most cost-effective idealabs supplements to dig myself out of "long-covid" or whatever hypometabolic state I am still suffering from? Progesterone is what you recommend, what else? I have been using aspirin, niacinamide, thiamine and eating low-pufa, lots of OJ, liver, gelatin, shellfish etc. But I am still intolerant to stress, exhausted etc. I want to get rid of this quickly, and I will order supps that are most effective
Based off of his original post I'd say it'd be worth looking into either Tyromix/tyromax/tyronene to pair with progesterone.

jay123

Would the lack of taste and smell be part of so called "long haulers" I miss smelling and tasting food. I lost those senses Dec. 19th 2020 and have not got them back. I have tried so many different things here with no avail. Would something like t3 work? Not sure how to proceed. I have been the same weight since 18. 5 foot 10 170 lbs and fit. Pulse is in low 70s probably due to tons of athletics into my early 20s.49 now. Any suggestions would help. @haidut

Last edited:

Ismail

In addition to what @ecstatichamster mentioned above, I would also add that tests for "free" steroids, thyroid or otherwise, are even more meaningless. The only thing they show is how much TBG you produce, which is the protein that carries the thyroid hormones in the blood. High free T3 means low TBG, which is not a good sign as it implies hypothyroidism and potentially liver issues as well as that protein is produced by liver. It is the total T3/T4 tests, which are better indication of how well the thyroid gland is working.

So, if thyroid tests are done they should always include at a minimum TSH, and both free and total T4/T3, and ideally reverse T3 (rT3) as well. tests for liver function done at the same time as thyroid help even more with intereting thyroid results, but even those are not enough without considering temps/pulse as well.
Wow this was very beneficial, thanks @haidut

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Based off of his original post I'd say it'd be worth looking into either Tyromix/tyromax/tyronene to pair with progesterone.

I would also mention a progesterone + DHEA combo (e.g. CortiNon), which seems to be (based on report of people using it) more pro-metabolic than steroid on its own. Aspirin, methylene blue, and vitamins D/K are also great metabolic boosters and they synergize with the steroids.
@DonLore

Lollipop2

A good study that examines the remarkable parallels between the so-called "long" COVID-19 (i.e. chronic display of symptoms associated with COVID-19) and the (in)famous chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS). Namely, increases inflammation, excessive glycolysis, suppressed mitochondrial function and decreased synthesis of ATP. Despite all of these known signs of both pathologies, no study so-far (including the new one below) has suggested treatments with thyroid or other pro-metabolic therapies. For some reason, the therapies suggested by mainstream doctors revolve around antioxidants, and hydration therapies, which, while likely helpful, do not address the underlying cause. Considering both COVID-19 and its common therapies such as glucocorticoids suppress thyroid function, IMO addressing the thyroid angle as well as the inflammatory response should be the primary goal in regards to treating both "short" and "long" COVID-19, as well as CFS. Something as simple as progesterone administration could be a game-changer for these conditions due to both the pro-metabolic effects of progesterone, as well as its direct anti-viral effects combined with anti-inflammatory and (contrary to glucocorticoids) pro-immunity effects. Btw, based on the evidence available so far it is rather clear that CFS is little more than chronic hypometabolic state triggered by a cytokine storm or the stress reaction associated with either the original viral infection or its "treatments".

Redox imbalance links COVID-19 and myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome
"...Although most patients recover from acute COVID-19, some experience postacute sequelae of severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 infection (PASC). One subgroup of PASC is a syndrome called “long COVID-19,” reminiscent of myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS). ME/CFS is a debilitating condition, often triggered by viral and bacterial infections, leading to years-long debilitating symptoms including profound fatigue, postexertional malaise, unrefreshing sleep, cognitive deficits, and orthostatic intolerance. Some are skeptical that either ME/CFS or long COVID-19 involves underlying biological abnormalities. However, in this review, we summarize the evidence that people with acute COVID-19 and with ME/CFS have biological abnormalities including redox imbalance, systemic inflammation and neuroinflammation, an impaired ability to generate adenosine triphosphate, and a general hypometabolic state. These phenomena have not yet been well studied in people with long COVID-19, and each of them has been reported in other diseases as well, particularly neurological diseases. We also examine the bidirectional relationship between redox imbalance, inflammation, energy metabolic deficits, and a hypometabolic state. We speculate as to what may be causing these abnormalities. Thus, understanding the molecular underpinnings of both PASC and ME/CFS may lead to the development of novel therapeutics."

"...Several therapies targeting redox imbalance already have been utilized or proposed for the treatment of disease. NO inhibits the replication of SARS-CoV-2 in vitro (154) and improves oxygenation in people with COVID-19 when administered by inhalation (155). Small studies of ubiquinol (156) and of a combination of NADH and CoQ10 (157) have reported clinical benefit. Many other potential treatments targeting redox imbalance also deserve consideration: for example, glutathione (and glutathione donors), N-acetyl cysteine, cysteamine, sulforaphane, ubiquinol, nicotinamide, melatonin, selenium, vitamin C, vitamin D, vitamin E, melatonin plus pentoxyfylline, disulfiram, ebselen, and corticosteroids. In two cases of acute COVID-19, glutathione administered therapeutically counteracted dyspnea associated with COVID-19 pneumonia and reduced pulmonary inflammation (158)."

"...People with acute COVID-19 and people with ME/CFS share redox imbalance, systemic inflammation and neuroinflammation, impaired production of ATP and other abnormalities in common (Fig. 2), abnormalities that have bidirectional connections (169). The syndrome of long COVID-19 that can develop in some COVID-19 survivors (people called “long haulers”) is very similar to ME/CFS, so it may well be that the group of abnormalities seen in acute COVID-19 and in ME/CFS also will be seen in long COVID-19. Presumably, redox abnormalities in COVID-19 are secondary to the infection with SARS-CoV-2. The same may be true among those ME/CFS patients whose illness began with an “infectious-like” illness. Clearly, COVID-19–induced permanent damage to the lungs (chronic hypoxia), heart (congestive failure), and kidneys (fluid and acid-base abnormalities) could cause some of the persisting symptoms seen in long COVID-19. In both long COVID-19 and ME/CFS other symptoms (e.g., fatigue, brain fog) may be generated by neuroinflammation, reduced cerebral perfusion due to autonomic dysfunction, and autoantibodies directed at neural targets, as summarized elsewhere (170). As many as 2.5 million people suffer from ME/CFS in the United States (6). The COVID-19 pandemic may generate a similar number of cases of long COVID-19 in the coming 1 to 2 y (5). It therefore is imperative that increased research be focused on both long COVID-19 and ME/CFS. Fortunately, the United States and several other countries have committed substantial funding to study chronic illnesses following COVID-19, one of which is long COVID-19. Two registries and associated biobanks of people with long COVID-19 and/or ME/CFS are available to aid research.* We suggest that the study of the connections between redox imbalance, inflammation, and energy metabolism in long COVID-19 and in ME/CFS may lead to improvements in both new diagnostics and therapies."
Great post. Can share this one with a few people.

Lollipop2

Very helpful thank you.

RealNeat

Would the lack of taste and smell be part of so called "long haulers" I miss smelling and tasting food. I lost those senses Dec. 19th 2020 and have not got them back. I have tried so many different things here with no avail. Would something like t3 work? Not sure how to proceed. I have been the same weight since 18. 5 foot 10 170 lbs and fit. Pulse is in low 70s probably due to tons of athletics into my early 20s.49 now. Any suggestions would help. @haidut
Have you tried increasing zinc, experimenting with both flush niacin and niacinamide along with some melatonin?

I don't know if it works personally but I remember Doris Loh writing about Melatonin early last year being beneficial. Though niacin and niacinamide aren't the same I can see how they could both help restore energy to help overcome the lowered energetic state. https://niacincurescovid.com/

Last edited:

StephanF

Forum Supporter
We could also take a look from a completely different angle in the treatment of hypothyroidism:

Electromagnetic stimulation.

I stumbled upon this, I have to search for the source but I think it was a post (not here) from a user of the ‘EarthPulse’ device. This has a electromagnet that is pulsed in the low Hz region, mostly for transcranial stimulation to enhance sleep.

This device brought my elder brother out of a 2-month long coma but he later passed away due to severe strokes from an 11-hour bladder operation where he suffered a lung embolism, his heart sat out for 7 minutes and then went I to the coma. I suspect that he received several blood transfusions where the Zeta Potential of his blood became weak and blood clots formed.

After my brother had passed away, I gave my pulser to a young woman that we befriended with at the hotel we stayed in Haan, Germany. She had a bad accident while riding her bike and she suffered from a brain injury and had to relearn to walk and speak. She is a remarkable strong woman. She wrote me an email later that with this pulser she was for the first time to really get some sleep! Amazing!

So in this post I read that someone had purchased this pulser snd was using it for improvement of his sleep but then noticed that his hypothyroidism either improved or went away, not 100% sure, but it was definitely a markable improvement.

So I thought of building a wearable thyroid magnetic stimulator but didn’t get to it yet. Mine must be borderline at 97.7F morning rise temperature and I didn’t buy another magnetic pulser.

jay123

Have you tried increasing zinc, experimenting with both flush niacin and niacinamide along with some melatonin?

I don't know if it works personally but I remember Doris Loh writing about Melatonin early last year being beneficial. Though niacin and niacinamide aren't the same I can see how they could both help restore energy to help overcome the lowered energetic state. https://niacincurescovid.com/
Thank you for responding. I have definitely done the niacin, niacinamide, and zinc. I have not done melatonin. I will have to look into that.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals