'SARS-CoV-2 Spike Protein Alone May Cause COVID-19 Lung Damage – Even Without the Presence of Intact Virus'

Zpol

Just the article (pasted below) and abstract are available at this time from what I could find.

SARS-CoV-2 Spike Protein Alone May Cause COVID-19 Lung Damage – Even Without the Presence of Intact Virus

By EXPERIMENTAL BIOLOGY APRIL 30, 2021

1619836615881.png

Using a newly developed mouse model, researchers found that exposure to the SARS-CoV-2 spike protein alone was enough to induce COVID-19-like symptoms including severe inflammation in the lungs. The left images show healthy mouse lung tissue while the right images show tissue from mouse lungs exposed to the spike protein. Credit: Pavel Solopov, Old Dominion University

New mouse model makes it easier and safer to study COVID-19 lung injury.

Using a newly developed mouse model of acute lung injury, researchers found that exposure to the SARS-CoV-2 spike protein alone was enough to induce COVID-19-like symptoms including severe inflammation of the lungs.

SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is covered in tiny spike proteins. These proteins bind with receptors on our cells, starting a process that allows the virus to release its genetic material into a healthy cell.

“Our findings show that the SARS-CoV2 spike protein causes lung injury even without the presence of intact virus,” said Pavel Solopov, PhD, DVM, research assistant professor at the Frank Reidy Research Center for Bioelectrics at Old Dominion University. “This previously unknown mechanism could cause symptoms before substantial viral replication occurs.”

Solopov presented the new research at the American Society for Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics annual meeting during the virtual Experimental Biology (EB) 2021 meeting, held April 27-30.

Studying SARS-CoV-2 can be challenging because experiments involving the intact virus requires a Biosafety Level 3 laboratory. To overcome this hurdle, the researchers created a new model of acute lung injury that utilizes transgenic mice that express the human receptor for SARS-CoV-2 in their lungs.

“Our mouse model dramatically reduces the danger of doing this type of research by allowing COVID-19 lung injury to be studied without using the intact, live virus,” said Solopov. “This will greatly increase and diversify the ability to do COVID-19 research. Our model will also likely be useful for studying other coronaviruses.”

The researchers injected the genetically modified mice with a segment of the spike protein and analyzed their response 72 hours later. Another group of mice received only saline to serve as a control.

The researchers found that the genetically modified mice injected with the spike protein exhibited COVID-19-like symptoms that included severe inflammation, an influx of white blood cells into their lungs, and evidence of a cytokine storm — an immune response in which the body starts to attack its own cells and tissues rather than just fighting off the virus. The mice that only received saline remained normal.

“These findings show that the genetically modified mouse together with just a segment of the spike protein can be used to study SARS-CoV-2 lung injury,” said Solopov. “We can use this tool to develop a better understanding of how the spike protein causes lung symptoms — even without the intact virus — in order to develop new targets and therapeutics for COVID-19.”

The researchers plan to continue this line of investigation by using the new mouse model to study the effectiveness of several drugs in reducing the severity of acute lung injury and COVID-19.

Reference: “R4183 – Single intratracheal exposure to SARS-CoV-2 S1 spike protein induces acute lung injury in K18-hACE2 transgenic mice” by Pavel Solopov, DVM, PhD, Experimental Biology 2021.

tankasnowgod

The researchers found that the genetically modified mice injected with the spike protein exhibited COVID-19-like symptoms that included severe inflammation, an influx of white blood cells into their lungs, and evidence of a cytokine storm — an immune response in which the body starts to attack its own cells and tissues rather than just fighting off the virus. The mice that only received saline remained normal.

So uh..... don't inject yourself with the spike protein, then.

OP
Zpol

Zpol

So uh..... don't inject yourself with the spike protein, then.
That approach would require common sense though.
This research is for those who are lacking in that area; all those people who "believe in science" and "follow the science."

tankasnowgod

This research is for those who are lacking in that area; all those people who "believe in science" and "follow the science."

Yeah..... those who "believe in the science" so much that they want to become test subjects.

You can see that in NASA's sleeping upside down experiments...

Heather Archuletta has taken “one small step” to support NASA’s Moon to Mars exploration approach – only, she never got out of bed.

Archuletta participated in one of several bed rest studies NASA conducts to simulate microgravity and research the effects of simulated spaceflight on the human body. In 2008, she spent 54 days in a tilted position, – at negative-six-degrees, head-down – without ever getting up for any reason – not even to eat, shower, or use the toilet. Also, she later participated in two shorter bed rest studies.

54 days!!!!!!

Within hours, my teeth were throbbing. Chewing and swallowing were different. My eyes watered and I got a headache,” Archuletta said. “Any attempt to move my head resulted in spinning sensations and acute nausea. My face grew puffy, and I developed back pain. They assured me everything I was going through is similar to what some astronauts may go through, so that kept me going.”

Oh, well as long as they assured her other people were also suffering, I guess it's okay, then!

Occasionally rumors circulate that NASA will pay people to just lay around in bed all day. Archuletta was paid about $10 per hour, less than her normal hourly wage. She says the screening is intense, and the testing schedule is rigorous; you must be in elite physical shape to participate.

“I never met anyone in the studies who said, ‘I’m here for the money.’ We do it because we believe in this science … we were committed to developing countermeasures to the effects of being in space. We all wanted good data. We all wanted to succeed. One day, when boots hit Mars, we all want to be able to say, ‘I was a small part of that.’”

See? She "believes in the science." Guess that makes the headaches, nausea, puffy face, back pain, and who knows what else totally fine.

Call me crazy, but I would think the cool part about being an astronaut would be, you know....... setting foot on the moon or another planet. Getting out of Earth Orbit. Not suffering on the freaking earth because people at NASA want to see what happened when you lay at a negative six degree angle.

Also, these "bedrest" studies make me believe that NASA really does stand for "Not A Space Agency."

OP
Zpol

Zpol

Yeah..... those who "believe in the science" so much that they want to become test subjects.

You can see that in NASA's sleeping upside down experiments...

54 days!!!!!!

Oh, well as long as they assured her other people were also suffering, I guess it's okay, then!

See? She "believes in the science." Guess that makes the headaches, nausea, puffy face, back pain, and who knows what else totally fine.

Call me crazy, but I would think the cool part about being an astronaut would be, you know....... setting foot on the moon or another planet. Getting out of Earth Orbit. Not suffering on the freaking earth because people at NASA want to see what happened when you lay at a negative six degree angle.

Also, these "bedrest" studies make me believe that NASA really does stand for "Not A Space Agency."
Wow, that's crazy. She knowingly signed up to be a peon "for science." Apparently she was regretting that decision pretty quick.
"Not A Space Agency" indeed... this sounds more like a twisted sociology experiment.

tankasnowgod

Wow, that's crazy. She knowingly signed up to be a peon "for science." Apparently she was regretting that decision pretty quick.
"Not A Space Agency" indeed... this sounds more like a twisted sociology experiment.

Funny thing is, a friend of mine said he was about to do this. The main driver in his decision was the $17,000 he said he would make in about 2 months (maybe they raised it a dollar or two an hour?) He said he was about to do it, even after being warned about potential (and permanent) negative changes in vision, kidney function, and more. But ultimately, he didn't.

It actually makes the $3000 or so that people get from testing radical new drugs seem easy in comparison.

But, apparently, you don't even have to do that. Just offer up a free (or paid for by the federal government) shot, and you can get hundreds of millions of volunteers. No three grand a head needed.

OP
Zpol

Zpol

But, apparently, you don't even have to do that. Just offer up a free (or paid for by the federal government) shot, and you can get hundreds of millions of volunteers. No three grand a head needed.
Thankfully your friend has some sense. Many people don't. Including people I thought were intelligent enough to see the reality of the situation. My sister has been a proponent of natural health and avoidance of toxins, endocrine disruptors, etc., for years, and she signed right up for her vac. I'm still shocked.

I'm really trying to understand the mentality behind this. Perhaps this mass submissiveness is driven by a serotonin dominant society.
People who complain are put on meds and people who self medicate 'the natural way' take 5HTP. And some attend their corporate sponsored meditation retreats.

I bet they gave that woman a lovely SSRI when she complained half way through the study.

Lollipop2

Thankfully your friend has some sense. Many people don't. Including people I thought were intelligent enough to see the reality of the situation. My sister has been a proponent of natural health and avoidance of toxins, endocrine disruptors, etc., for years, and she signed right up for her vac. I'm still shocked.

I'm really trying to understand the mentality behind this. Perhaps this mass submissiveness is driven by a serotonin dominant society.
People who complain are put on meds and people who self medicate 'the natural way' take 5HTP. And some attend their corporate sponsored meditation retreats.

I bet they gave that woman a lovely SSRI when she complained half way through the study.
I do think the phenomenon of group think comes into play here. My sister that I talked out of getting it said she was thinking about getting it because “everyone else was getting the shot”. I was sick hearing that. Why would anyone risk serious health consequences even death because everyone else was getting injected?

What ?!?!

bk_

I suspect the mentality behind this is:
1. Social pressure - everyone else is doing it.
2. Media pressure - I think everyone is doing it.
3. Spiritual pressure - I’m full of fear and anxiety, I can’t think clearly. It’s the moral thing to do.
4. Mental Incapacitation - high serotonin from following fake/fraudulent health fads, SSRIs, birth control, etc.

OP
Zpol

Zpol

I do think the phenomenon of group think comes into play here. My sister that I talked out of getting it said she was thinking about getting it because “everyone else was getting the shot”. I was sick hearing that. Why would anyone risk serious health consequences even death because everyone else was getting injected?
You're lucky your sister listens to you. My sister doesn't, in fact, she'd more likely do the opposite. I should've told her to get the vac, so that she wouldn't do it just to spite me. I'm kidding.. that wouldn't have worked anyway. She got pressured from her husband and MIL. Deep down I know she didn't want to get it; the pressure was too great.
I suspect the mentality behind this is:
1. Social pressure - everyone else is doing it.
2. Media pressure - I think everyone is doing it.
3. Spiritual pressure - I’m full of fear and anxiety, I can’t think clearly. It’s the moral thing to do.
4. Mental Incapacitation - high serotonin from following fake/fraudulent health fads, SSRIs, birth control, etc.
Thanks. Yeah, that about sums it up.

Lizb

A guy just came to fix our gate. Said he was running behind on jobs as he had been in hospital for two days recently because of the second jab. He's still breathless.

OP
Zpol

Zpol

A guy just came to fix our gate. Said he was running behind on jobs as he had been in hospital for two days recently because of the second jab. He's still breathless.
That's so sad. I wonder if he was told that it's a good sign, indicating the vac is working.
It's also sad this study even had to be conducted to prove what we all know; that the spike protein is the dangerous part causing the inflammation.

OP
Zpol

Zpol

A mixed variety of stupidity in the case of being a health nut.
Right, that too. So many different ideas of what is 'healthy' out there, most of which are nonsense.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals