Aspirin the only thing that raises my body temperature

fatmaaaa16

Why is aspirin the only thing that is able to raise my body temperature? U have chronically low body temperatures, and I’ve tried NDT, T3, ashwaghanda, high dose B1, and biotin. None really worked, but one 300 mg dose of aspirin and I’m FINALLY warm. Anyone know the mechanism behind this? Why it’s quite literally the only thing that’s worked for me? Is it safe to take aspirin for this reason?

Thank you all!

Momma

I would guess it is lowering your estrogen, and in turn, that allows your thyroid and liver to do what they need to do.

redsun

Why is aspirin the only thing that is able to raise my body temperature? U have chronically low body temperatures, and I’ve tried NDT, T3, ashwaghanda, high dose B1, and biotin. None really worked, but one 300 mg dose of aspirin and I’m FINALLY warm. Anyone know the mechanism behind this? Why it’s quite literally the only thing that’s worked for me? Is it safe to take aspirin for this reason?

Thank you all!
The only way to properly test this is to actually take your oral temp when you are feeling cold and then test your oral temp an hour or two after taking aspirin. Aspirin can actually lower body temp setpoint, this is why it is used for fever just like tylenol and other NSAIDs. But by lowering your setpoint you will actually feel less cold because subjective feelings of hot and cold (and also vasoconstriction and vasodilation in the extremities) is dependent on the regulation of your body temp setpoint in the hypothalamus which determines the response of your blood vessels to the temperature from your environment. So its important to actually figure out what your typical oral temps are without any aspirin.

Last edited:

milkboi

Aspirin can increase uncoupling but I'm not sure that's true in smaller doses like 300 mg

OP
F

fatmaaaa16

The only way to properly test this is to actually take your oral temp when you are feeling cold and then test your oral temp an hour or two after taking aspirin. Aspirin can actually lower body temp setpoint, this is why it is used for fever just like tylenol and other NSAIDs. But by lowering your setpoint you will actually feel less cold because subjective feelings of hot and cold (and also vasoconstriction and vasodilation in the extremities) is dependent on the regulation of your body temp setpoint in the hypothalamus which determines the response of your blood vessels to the temperature from your environment. So its important to actually figure out what your typical oral temps are without any aspirin.
Ok, I’ll do that. I haven’t tested body temp, but assumed it must be raising it because suddenly I’m not shaking and am able to go out in the cold, didn’t take into account that potentially it’s simply increasing blood flow to extremities etc. I’ll test this today.

OP
F

fatmaaaa16

I would guess it is lowering your estrogen, and in turn, that allows your thyroid and liver to do what they need to do.
Well I don’t think so, since I already take calcium D-glucarate and Progest-E for amenorrhea ... Assumed that’s enough to get rid of estrogen. But maybe aspirin is even stronger at detoxing estrogen ..?

OP
F

fatmaaaa16

Aspirin can increase uncoupling but I'm not sure that's true in smaller doses like 300 mg
Yeah I have read about that… it’s just odd because other Uncouplers like B1 (taken up to 2000 mg one dose) do slightly warm me, but nothing compared to the aspirin. Maybe it’s because, I don’t take aspirin regularly, and my body weight is quite low. Last time I took any aspirin at all was probably 6 months ago. So maybe my tolerance is low for it ?

OP
F

fatmaaaa16

I wonder what it is that aspirin does that all other things seem to fail to do…. Not progestrone, not iron (even in high doses, I’m anemic), not calcium, not copper …. Not even NDT and T3 have done much. If it isn’t actually increasing my temperature, whatever it is doing is making life bearable as I’m just not shaking and shivering from how cold I am while wearing multiple layers and having the heating on 24/7…..

I don’t necessarily think aspirin is healthy though, it makes me bleed, bruise, so if I can maybe figure out what it’s actually doing, and find another way to achieve the same results would be best (not complaining though … this is still great)

redsun

Ok, I’ll do that. I haven’t tested body temp, but assumed it must be raising it because suddenly I’m not shaking and am able to go out in the cold, didn’t take into account that potentially it’s simply increasing blood flow to extremities etc. I’ll test this today.
Its not directly increasing blood flow, it probably is reducing body temp and thus the body does not have to conserve heat as much which allows the blood vessels in the extremities to dilate. There isnt really a significant uncoupling effect at the dose you use so I dont think its that.

This is the same reason why when you have a fever you can actually feel cold especially in your hands and feet because the hypothalamus changed the body temp set point it wants to maintain and in order to maintain it, the body constricts blood vessels to preserve heat. Do you consume caffeinated beverages throughout the day? If so, this will also increase body temperature setpoint and your body will try to maintain it which makes you feel cold.

Because you are also anemic (and also this means you are iron deficient as well), the body cannot produce enough heat to preserve heat in the extremities and maintain the new setpoint since adequate oxygen as well as iron itself is needed to produce enough ATP and heat.

OP
F

fatmaaaa16

Its not directly increasing blood flow, it probably is reducing body temp and thus the body does not have to conserve heat as much which allows the blood vessels in the extremities to dilate. There isnt really a significant uncoupling effect at the dose you use so I dont think its that.

This is the same reason why when you have a fever you can actually feel cold especially in your hands and feet because the hypothalamus changed the body temp set point it wants to maintain and in order to maintain it, the body constricts blood vessels to preserve heat. Do you consume caffeinated beverages throughout the day? If so, this will also increase body temperature setpoint and your body will try to maintain it which makes you feel cold.

Because you are also anemic (and also this means you are iron deficient as well), the body cannot produce enough heat to preserve heat in the extremities and maintain the new setpoint since adequate oxygen as well as iron itself is needed to produce enough ATP and heat.
Interesting. I do drink coffee throughout the day, coincidentally to keep somewhat warm (of course this only lasts 15 minutes, so could be counterproductive).

I did the temperature test, and aspirin definitely raised my body temperature. Checked my oral temperature at 8:25 pm UK time, and it was 35.6 c (96.08 F), less than an hour later, no coffee or water or anything else really, didn’t even change clothes, I’m 36.5 C (97.7 F). Less than an hour and almost an entire degree up. I feel the warmth mostly in my face.

I am anemic, and been taking 40 mg iron (ferrous bisglycinate) for around 2 months with no improvement in being so cold all the time. I’ve tested my iron and it’s up, but still pretty low (16 ug/L which is technically no longer deficient - the optimal levels on my blood tests are 15-300 ug/L and before supplementation used to be 7 ug/L)

I also take lamb liver pills every day for the iron, copper and B12, as copper chelate gives me odd neurological twitches on my face

redsun

Interesting. I do drink coffee throughout the day, coincidentally to keep somewhat warm (of course this only lasts 15 minutes, so could be counterproductive).

I did the temperature test, and aspirin definitely raised my body temperature. Checked my oral temperature at 8:25 pm UK time, and it was 35.6 c (96.08 F), less than an hour later, no coffee or water or anything else really, didn’t even change clothes, I’m 36.5 C (97.7 F). Less than an hour and almost an entire degree up. I feel the warmth mostly in my face.

I am anemic, and been taking 40 mg iron (ferrous bisglycinate) for around 2 months with no improvement in being so cold all the time. I’ve tested my iron and it’s up, but still pretty low (16 ug/L which is technically no longer deficient - the optimal levels on my blood tests are 15-300 ug/L and before supplementation used to be 7 ug/L)

I also take lamb liver pills every day for the iron, copper and B12, as copper chelate gives me odd neurological twitches on my face

What hour do you go to bed? If you go to bed around 9:30 or so your body will already begin to start lowering its temperature as you prepare to sleep around an hour before. If you go to sleep way later than just disregard this.

Also to confirm caffeine's effects, you should check your oral temp an hour after you have a coffee. But this needs to be a little later in the day as your first morning coffee the body temp is increasing from the moment you wake up so this can skew what is going on. Smaller doses of aspirin wont lead to much uncoupling but its possibly its actually working to maintain ATP levels in your body that is kept too low due to anemia and iron deficiency.

“The protein with the most significant difference between treatments was SDHC; plasma levels were lower after aspirin treatment. SDHC is a subunit of succinate dehydrogenase (SDH), a key enzyme complex of the mitochondrial tricarboxylic acid (TCA) cycle, which oxidizes succinate to fumarate [38]. As one part of SDH (also called complex II), it also facilitates transfer of electrons to coenzyme Q (ubiquinone) [39]. Aspirin has been shown to interfere with mitochondrial function [40], as well as inhibit the activity of SDH in rats [41]. Further, repeated mild inhibition of oxidative phosphorylation via inhibition of SDH protects against the decrease in ATP that usually accompanies severe hypoxia and thus can act as neuroprotection [42]. Treatment with aspirin has also been shown in vivo to slow down the decline of intracellular ATP by this mechanism of inhibiting SDH [43] and therefore to protect against hypoxia, a common hallmark of tumors that promotes metabolic adaptations and angiogenesis [44]. Furthermore, accumulation of succinate, due to reduced efficiency of SDHC, results in the stabilization of HIF1-α, the degradation of which is promoted by the oncometabolite (R)-2-hydroxyglutarate [45].“

So possibly aspirin is helping your ATP levels but of course it is not the solution and you also need to be wary of chronic aspirin use which will further cause anemia through several mechanisms:

Post in thread 'What causes my anemia?' What causes my anemia?

So if you have been regularly taking aspirin I would stop that if you want to improve anemia. Ferritin is not going to go up really much at all until you normalize hemoglobin levels because thats where iron is prioritized for first. Then you will get more iron transported into cells for ATP synthesizing enzymes which should improve body temps. This all takes time and you may need to take more iron at a time to speed up how quickly you get repleted. What did your CBC hemoglobin levels look like?

Do you eat beef or lamb often? If your zinc intake is too low this can make you resistant to thyroid hormone and will effectively make you hypothyroid despite you repleting iron. You should have seen temperature improvement from the iron by now but if not this points to possible low zinc or possible low iodine if you don't consume much eggs or milk/dairy.

Last edited:
OP
F

fatmaaaa16

What hour do you go to bed? If you go to bed around 9:30 or so your body will already begin to start lowering its temperature as you prepare to sleep around an hour before. If you go to sleep way later than just disregard this.

Also to confirm caffeine's effects, you should check your oral temp an hour after you have a coffee. But this needs to be a little later in the day as your first morning coffee the body temp is increasing from the moment you wake up so this can skew what is going on. Smaller doses of aspirin wont lead to much uncoupling but its possibly its actually working to maintain ATP levels in your body that is kept too low due to anemia and iron deficiency.

“The protein with the most significant difference between treatments was SDHC; plasma levels were lower after aspirin treatment. SDHC is a subunit of succinate dehydrogenase (SDH), a key enzyme complex of the mitochondrial tricarboxylic acid (TCA) cycle, which oxidizes succinate to fumarate [38]. As one part of SDH (also called complex II), it also facilitates transfer of electrons to coenzyme Q (ubiquinone) [39]. Aspirin has been shown to interfere with mitochondrial function [40], as well as inhibit the activity of SDH in rats [41]. Further, repeated mild inhibition of oxidative phosphorylation via inhibition of SDH protects against the decrease in ATP that usually accompanies severe hypoxia and thus can act as neuroprotection [42]. Treatment with aspirin has also been shown in vivo to slow down the decline of intracellular ATP by this mechanism of inhibiting SDH [43] and therefore to protect against hypoxia, a common hallmark of tumors that promotes metabolic adaptations and angiogenesis [44]. Furthermore, accumulation of succinate, due to reduced efficiency of SDHC, results in the stabilization of HIF1-α, the degradation of which is promoted by the oncometabolite (R)-2-hydroxyglutarate [45].“

So possibly aspirin is helping your ATP levels but of course it is not the solution and you also need to be wary of chronic aspirin use which will further cause anemia through several mechanisms:

Post in thread 'What causes my anemia?' What causes my anemia?

So if you have been regularly taking aspirin I would stop that if you want to improve anemia. Ferritin is not going to go up really much at all until you normalize hemoglobin levels because thats where iron is prioritized for first. Then you will get more iron transported into cells for ATP synthesizing enzymes which should improve body temps. This all takes time and you may need to take more iron at a time to speed up how quickly you get repleted. What did your CBC hemoglobin levels look like?

Do you eat beef or lamb often? If your zinc intake is too low this can make you resistant to thyroid hormone and will effectively make you hypothyroid despite you repleting iron. You should have seen temperature improvement from the iron by now but if not this points to possible low zinc or possible low iodine if you don't consume much eggs or milk/dairy.
Thanks for your reply.

I do go to bed around 9:30 yes, only issue is sometimes I’m so incredibly cold I’ll be shaking in bed unable to sleep.. even with the house being very warm and wearing multiple layers. I am definitely a lot colder at night though especially around that time, so I guess it makes sense.

I’ll do a caffeine test today as well, around midday. Very interesting, definitely never thought to test body temps before and after before.

The ATP thing makes sense, as things that seem to maintain ATP levels warm me up somewhat like high dose B1, COQ10, and Bioton (used to have a more profound effect when I first started, now has barely any effect). I think the iron deficiency is definitely a huge factor but I think potentially it’s gonna take a while to correct, and until it is corrected I probably won’t see any immediate changes in body temperature as I had severe anemia my whole life, never took iron due to eating disorder and when I recovered all forms would give me severe stomach problems which I’ve finally corrected and can finally take iron without issues.

Interesting to see aspirins mechanism behind slowing down the decline in ATP and how it protects against hypoxia, it seems those are things that iron should also do but aspirin seems to do much more rapidly. But again, since the root issue isn’t resolved which probably include anemia and low CO2, I also think it’s a short term band aid solution rather than a permanent fix.

Also, aspirin gives me side effects that really scare me, like sudden wrist pain that only comes when I take it and have never had before, really random unexplained bruising, bleeding very easily and makes my period also much heavier, makes me dizzy, pretty much feels like it worsens all anemic symptoms except the low body temperature while also probably depleting a bunch of other vitamins and minerals. Definitely antagonizes K2 as it’s a blood thinner and I do have osteoporosis so it couldn’t be good long term, even increasing K2 and I still have the wrist pain and bruising.

I’ll increase iron to 40 mg, it was my GP who suggested 20 mg as he said my iron isn’t that low to take more. Random but potentially related, but I always had elevated B12 (above normal levels) since I was around 16 despite never supplementing which always alarmed doctors, but since I don’t supplement they just said it’s fine.

Hemoglobin used to be 109 g/L, don’t have the other results unfortunately aside from ferritin being 7.

Currently ferritin is 16 ug/L, hemoglobin is 116 g/L, MCV is 78.3 f/L (range 80-99), red cell count is 3.9 (range 3.95-5.15), MCH is 24 pg (range 26-33.5), RDW 15.2% (range 11.5-15), platelet count is 420 (range 150-400), white cell count is 6 (range 3-10), MCHC 308 g/L (range 320-360), and MCH is 25 pg (ranhe 26-33.5).

Not sure if relevant but my TSH is 1.24 (range 0.35-4.94), free T4 is 0.74 ng/dL (range 0.7-1.48), free T3 0.39 ng/dL (range 0.24-0.52) without supplementing NDT or T3/T4 (only experimented for a few days to see if it helps body temps, stopped since it didn’t).

The zinc is what I would’ve never considered. I don’t eat much beef or lamb or other high zinc foods, atleast not regularly due to having a non-existent appetite, and just not focusing on it or or considering zinc before. I had a bad reaction to zinc in the past which was being extremely brain fogged and drowsy but this was before iron supplemention and much before I had body temperatures issues that got this bad. However after you mentioned it I considered it and realized I must be deficient in zinc due to iron supplementation and taking liver pills every day. So this morning I took 10 mg zinc gluconate (I take my iron at night), and I kid you not instantly felt warmer, same effect taking aspirin had on me. Didn’t check temps as I took it right before going to work and really didn’t expect at all it would do anything, especially not so instantly, but within 10 minutes I no longer felt hypothermic and wasn’t shivering, just warm and normal. Also all day at work, I’ve been very warm while everyone is shivering and sitting on the heaters, meanwhile I’m so warm. Could it simply have been a zinc deficiency all along? Maybe that’s why T3, NDT, T4 do absolutely nothing for my body temperature and make me feel as if I didn’t take anything at all?

Haven’t tried iodine, I do drink milk and have sea salt every day though but might not be enough, I’ll give it a try as well.

redsun

Thanks for your reply.

I do go to bed around 9:30 yes, only issue is sometimes I’m so incredibly cold I’ll be shaking in bed unable to sleep.. even with the house being very warm and wearing multiple layers. I am definitely a lot colder at night though especially around that time, so I guess it makes sense.

I’ll do a caffeine test today as well, around midday. Very interesting, definitely never thought to test body temps before and after before.

The ATP thing makes sense, as things that seem to maintain ATP levels warm me up somewhat like high dose B1, COQ10, and Bioton (used to have a more profound effect when I first started, now has barely any effect). I think the iron deficiency is definitely a huge factor but I think potentially it’s gonna take a while to correct, and until it is corrected I probably won’t see any immediate changes in body temperature as I had severe anemia my whole life, never took iron due to eating disorder and when I recovered all forms would give me severe stomach problems which I’ve finally corrected and can finally take iron without issues.

Interesting to see aspirins mechanism behind slowing down the decline in ATP and how it protects against hypoxia, it seems those are things that iron should also do but aspirin seems to do much more rapidly. But again, since the root issue isn’t resolved which probably include anemia and low CO2, I also think it’s a short term band aid solution rather than a permanent fix.

Also, aspirin gives me side effects that really scare me, like sudden wrist pain that only comes when I take it and have never had before, really random unexplained bruising, bleeding very easily and makes my period also much heavier, makes me dizzy, pretty much feels like it worsens all anemic symptoms except the low body temperature while also probably depleting a bunch of other vitamins and minerals. Definitely antagonizes K2 as it’s a blood thinner and I do have osteoporosis so it couldn’t be good long term, even increasing K2 and I still have the wrist pain and bruising.

I’ll increase iron to 40 mg, it was my GP who suggested 20 mg as he said my iron isn’t that low to take more. Random but potentially related, but I always had elevated B12 (above normal levels) since I was around 16 despite never supplementing which always alarmed doctors, but since I don’t supplement they just said it’s fine.

Hemoglobin used to be 109 g/L, don’t have the other results unfortunately aside from ferritin being 7.

Currently ferritin is 16 ug/L, hemoglobin is 116 g/L, MCV is 78.3 f/L (range 80-99), red cell count is 3.9 (range 3.95-5.15), MCH is 24 pg (range 26-33.5), RDW 15.2% (range 11.5-15), platelet count is 420 (range 150-400), white cell count is 6 (range 3-10), MCHC 308 g/L (range 320-360), and MCH is 25 pg (ranhe 26-33.5).

Not sure if relevant but my TSH is 1.24 (range 0.35-4.94), free T4 is 0.74 ng/dL (range 0.7-1.48), free T3 0.39 ng/dL (range 0.24-0.52) without supplementing NDT or T3/T4 (only experimented for a few days to see if it helps body temps, stopped since it didn’t).

The zinc is what I would’ve never considered. I don’t eat much beef or lamb or other high zinc foods, atleast not regularly due to having a non-existent appetite, and just not focusing on it or or considering zinc before. I had a bad reaction to zinc in the past which was being extremely brain fogged and drowsy but this was before iron supplemention and much before I had body temperatures issues that got this bad. However after you mentioned it I considered it and realized I must be deficient in zinc due to iron supplementation and taking liver pills every day. So this morning I took 10 mg zinc gluconate (I take my iron at night), and I kid you not instantly felt warmer, same effect taking aspirin had on me. Didn’t check temps as I took it right before going to work and really didn’t expect at all it would do anything, especially not so instantly, but within 10 minutes I no longer felt hypothermic and wasn’t shivering, just warm and normal. Also all day at work, I’ve been very warm while everyone is shivering and sitting on the heaters, meanwhile I’m so warm. Could it simply have been a zinc deficiency all along? Maybe that’s why T3, NDT, T4 do absolutely nothing for my body temperature and make me feel as if I didn’t take anything at all?

Haven’t tried iodine, I do drink milk and have sea salt every day though but might not be enough, I’ll give it a try as well.

Yeh it will take a quite awhile longer to absorb enough iron to normalize hemoglobin. Based on rough calculation I estimated you still need to absorb about 220mg of iron to get hemoglobin levels to 13g/dl. And thats just for hemoglobin, you would still need more on top to build up iron stores. So this is why you want to take higher amounts of iron if you want to fix hemoglobin and iron status in a timely matter. I am surprised you take iron at night. Some people can be kept awake from stimulating minerals like iron but obviously it depends on the individual.

Usually iron and also copper supplements are taken in the morning and iron is taken at least a half an hour before a meal so it doesnt reduce absorption of other minerals like zinc and copper in your food. Liver pills dont count here the quantity of iron and copper is well within normal levels so they can be taken with food but iron pills have so much iron so to not affect other minerals they are preferably taken alone before meals.

Even though your thyroid labs clearly show you have enough actual thyroid hormone in the blood and TSH is good showing this as well, if you dont have enough zinc, thyroid hormones cannot affect gene expression which is how they affect metabolism and you need zinc finger proteins to do this. Thus its like a thyroid hormone resistance. Other hormones depend on the zinc finger as well. Its a very important protein. Ideally you want to eat at least one serving of red meat a day (this goes for everyone, men may need 2) to get enough zinc. Its difficult to get enough without eating specific zinc rich foods like oysters and red meat/dark chicken meat.

Last edited:
OP
F

fatmaaaa16

Yeh it will take a quite awhile longer to absorb enough iron to normalize hemoglobin. Based on rough calculation I estimated you still need to absorb about 220mg of iron to get hemoglobin levels to 13g/dl. And thats just for hemoglobin, you would still need more on top to build up iron stores. So this is why you want to take higher amounts of iron if you want to fix hemoglobin and iron status in a timely matter. I am surprised you take iron at night. Some people can be kept awake from stimulating minerals like iron but obviously it depends on the individual.

Usually iron and also copper supplements are taken in the morning and iron is taken at least a half an hour before a meal so it doesnt reduce absorption of other minerals like zinc and copper in your food. Liver pills dont count here the quantity of iron and copper is well within normal levels so they can be taken with food but iron pills have so much iron so to not affect other minerals they are preferably taken alone before meals.

Even though your thyroid labs clearly show you have enough actual thyroid hormone in the blood and TSH is good showing this as well, if you dont have enough zinc, thyroid hormones cannot affect gene expression which is how they affect metabolism and you need zinc finger proteins to do this. Thus its like a thyroid hormone resistance. Other hormones depend on the zinc finger as well. Its a very important protein. Ideally you want to eat at least one serving of red meat a day (this goes for everyone, men may need 2) to get enough zinc. Its difficult to get enough without eating specific zinc rich foods like oysters and red meat/dark chicken meat.
It seems I’ve been taking way too little iron. I didn’t want to take more in fear of stomach problems and because my GP didn’t say to take more. I’m taking 20 mg a day, and now I know that must be why I feel no better. I took 100 mg this morning rather than 20, and I actually felt the stimulating effects for the first time u talk about - stronger heart beat, warmth, energy rush, and an amazing feeling of joy and liveliness … like I’m excited about life and optimistic? I think I will keep increasing my iron dose up to 200 mg unless I get stomach issues again. Then hopefully by my next blood test I’m on the higher end on the hemoglobin levels. Might take low dose zinc, like 5 mg at night too as it rly did help body temp, and Maybe 200 mg iron could deplete zinc too much even if I eat high zinc foods and cause the thyroid resistance again.

Thanks for all of your help. You’re very knowledgeable.

redsun

It seems I’ve been taking way too little iron. I didn’t want to take more in fear of stomach problems and because my GP didn’t say to take more. I’m taking 20 mg a day, and now I know that must be why I feel no better. I took 100 mg this morning rather than 20, and I actually felt the stimulating effects for the first time u talk about - stronger heart beat, warmth, energy rush, and an amazing feeling of joy and liveliness … like I’m excited about life and optimistic? I think I will keep increasing my iron dose up to 200 mg unless I get stomach issues again. Then hopefully by my next blood test I’m on the higher end on the hemoglobin levels. Might take low dose zinc, like 5 mg at night too as it rly did help body temp, and Maybe 200 mg iron could deplete zinc too much even if I eat high zinc foods and cause the thyroid resistance again.

Thanks for all of your help. You’re very knowledgeable.

That's great that you feel better. I think 100mg is a good amount. The gut symptoms can be problematic if you keep going higher but if it's not too bad, it will fix your iron levels faster of course.

No problem. Feel free to update us how things go in a few weeks.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals