Aspirin reduces risk of developing diabetes

haidut

Forum Supporter
Not sure if my readers have noticed it, but Big Pharma has drastically increased their bashing of aspirin since the pandemic started. Those attacks began when a few studies published back in 2020 demonstrated that aspirin users had a much lower risk of both contracting and dying from COVID-19, and that aspirin was unique among NSAID in providing such benefits. The bashing of aspirin continues even in the study below, but it is forced to (begrudgingly) admit that low-dose aspirin led to 15% lower risk of developing diabetes in older adults. Now, 15% reduction may not seem like much, but so far there has been no other drug shown to lower risk of developing diabetes. Also, these effects were seen from low-dose aspirin and the pro-metabolic effects of aspirin are known to be dose-dependent (e.g. uncoupling and inhibition of both lipolysis / fatty acid oxidation), so higher doses would have likely led to much bigger risk reduction. Of course, the fear-mongering from Big Pharma about aspirin's dire bleeding risks effectively prevents human trials with higher doses, so unfortunately aspirin probably won't see much clinical use as prevention/therapy for diabetes.

Study shows that low-dose aspirin associated with a 15% lower risk of developing diabetes in people aged over 65 years

"...A total of 16,209 participants were included in the analysis (8,086 randomized to aspirin and 8,123 to placebo). Over a median follow-up of 4.7 years, 995 incident diabetes cases were recorded (aspirin: 459, placebo: 536). Compared with placebo, the aspirin group had a 15% reduction in incident diabetes and a slower rate of increase in FPG (difference in annual FPG change: -0.006 mmol/L). The authors say, "Aspirin treatment reduced incident diabetes and slowed the increase in fasting plasma glucose over time among initially healthy older adults. Given the increasing prevalence of type 2 diabetes among older adults, the potential for anti-inflammatory agents like aspirin to prevent type 2 diabetes or improve glucose levels needs further study.""

DennisX

Although this is not related to diabetes AND it's a n=1. I've been taking aspirin since 12/18/2015 at average does does 33mg/day to 2.89mg per day with the 280mg/day mostly in the last 4 years. It's not the standard 325mg aspirin dose because I missed days. I have 22 lab reports between 12/18/15 to 07/27/21 where I measured my psa. My psa went from 5.8 on 12/18/15 to 13.9 on 07/27/21. I did a correllation calculation using a robust correlation measurement by M Tabatabai in R and the correlation coeficient was 0.545 with a p value of 0.0086. I had a partial prostate removal which saved all functions and have stopped aspirin. This may be a coincidence being that both aspirin and psa increased during this period but the p value is too small for me to assume that.

Brian Douglas

Although this is not related to diabetes AND it's a n=1. I've been taking aspirin since 12/18/2015 at average does does 33mg/day to 2.89mg per day with the 280mg/day mostly in the last 4 years. It's not the standard 325mg aspirin dose because I missed days. I have 22 lab reports between 12/18/15 to 07/27/21 where I measured my psa. My psa went from 5.8 on 12/18/15 to 13.9 on 07/27/21. I did a correllation calculation using a robust correlation measurement by M Tabatabai in R and the correlation coeficient was 0.545 with a p value of 0.0086. I had a partial prostate removal which saved all functions and have stopped aspirin. This may be a coincidence being that both aspirin and psa increased during this period but the p value is too small for me to assume that.
I might be missing something but what is the significance of a C.C. of 0.5? It's statistical noise, so remote from a considerate value. PSA is also a red herring as it is really indicative of nothing. Low T is invariably the cause of enlarged or even cancerous prostate & aspirin is cancer protective. Elevated estrogen is usually the culprit here.

DennisX

I might be missing something but what is the significance of a C.C. of 0.5? It's statistical noise, so remote from a considerate value. PSA is also a red herring as it is really indicative of nothing. Low T is invariably the cause of enlarged or even cancerous prostate & aspirin is cancer protective. Elevated estrogen is usually the culprit here.
Hey @douglas I guess you should go back and read your statistics book. a p value of 0.0086 means that there is a 1 in 116 chance of this correlation being random. 1. My T labs levers were between 700 and 900 doing this time. My E2 sensitive labs was between 8 and 20 during this time. The removed prostate tissue showed a gleason score of 5 for the tumor Luckily none had spread. Lastly there are no pubmed studies, none, that show aspirin stops of even slows prostate cancer. There are no pubmed studies that show aspirin stops or slows any cancer.. Your wishful thinking about aspirin and cancer doesn't correspond to reality and is a danger to those who follow your ill-informed guesses.

cremes

Hey @douglas I guess you should go back and read your statistics book. a p value of 0.0086 means that there is a 1 in 116 chance of this correlation being random. 1. My T labs levers were between 700 and 900 doing this time. My E2 sensitive labs was between 8 and 20 during this time. The removed prostate tissue showed a gleason score of 5 for the tumor Luckily none had spread. Lastly there are no pubmed studies, none, that show aspirin stops of even slows prostate cancer. There are no pubmed studies that show aspirin stops or slows any cancer.. Your wishful thinking about aspirin and cancer doesn't correspond to reality and is a danger to those who follow your ill-informed guesses.
Here's an interesting article on relying on a small P value as proof of anything.

Essentially, you can use a small P as a falsifier. But using it as proof or evidence of something is abusing it.

This may be a coincidence being that both aspirin and psa increased during this period but the p value is too small for me to assume that.

Applying it to this situation, we could say that we have a hypothesis where "daily aspirin of ~280mg will reduce a PSA score." Your labs with a small P value falsify that hypothesis. They _do not prove_ that daily aspirin raises a PSA value. Your quote above shows that you know this; it's coincidence.

DennisX

Here's an interesting article on relying on a small P value as proof of anything.

Essentially, you can use a small P as a falsifier. But using it as proof or evidence of something is abusing it.

Applying it to this situation, we could say that we have a hypothesis where "daily aspirin of ~280mg will reduce a PSA score." Your labs with a small P value falsify that hypothesis. They _do not prove_ that daily aspirin raises a PSA value. Your quote above shows that you know this; it's coincidence.
That is true. Also correlation does not mean causation.

Sitaruîm

It's not the p-value he is complaining about, it's the value of the statistic, the correlation.

cremes

To bring this thread/post back on track, I wonder if there is any link between diabetes and prostate cancer.

As a person with CVD, I'm already on daily aspirin to reduce recurrence of my heart issues. Much like statins, doctors don't have a lot of evidence as to _why_ aspirin helps. I had a long argument with my cardiologist over the pleiotropic effects of statins on CVD. He kind of didn't care if it was due to cholesterol lowering or these pleiotropic effects. Things got surreal when I asked him which statin and how much of it he took on a daily basis. His answer was, "I'm not on a statin." I actually LOL'ed right there in the exam room.

I also asked about upping my aspirin from 81mg to a larger value like 1gram. His eyes bugged out and he pretty much told me I'd bleed to death. I asked about countering that increased risk with vitamin K/K2, but he didn't know anything about it. Sigh, such is the state of our health care professionals. He's young too... somewhere in mid mid to late 30s.

DennisX

Yeah it's tough to find a knowledgeable MD. When I was in Chicago my internist recommended I get the Vax. I refused and asked for a prescription for Ivermectin. She refused so I bought Ivermectin from China. I got Covid in December 2020 and the Ivermectin knocked it right out. I moved to Miami in Jan 2022. I got a Miami Internist from UM . The first thing she said to me was to get a vax. I told her I already had the virus and was immune. She said to get the vax anyway. which if course I refused. All this to show how incompetent most internists are with respect to published scientific data.

Brian Douglas

Hey, X. Wow are you easily triggered. I stand by what I said as someone who utilized statistics professionally for decades. The c.c. is random noise. Why only PubMed? You must be a liberal: my wishful thinking is a danger to those who follow...?
Cancer was proven to be a metabolic disorder almost 100 yrs ago & aspirin's effect on metabolism is well established. And, no Virginia, I didn't "guess"'

DennisX

Not to be a spoiler for your reference research but the 1st reference said "from the studt". The study URL did not talk about prostate cancer but talked about colorectal cancer found aspirin reduced 40–50% reductions in colorectal adenoma incidenc. The authors used "may" and "could" for other cancers without reference.

Reference 2 was not peer reviewed so we don't know of the research was false or not like so many other non peer reviewed fakes these days.

Reference 3 was from Australia and provided no peer reviewed references to any of it's cancer reduction conclusions.

So other than a reduction in colorectal cancer incident nothing else was proved about aspirin and cancer.

I see you are from Canada the newest leftist dictatorships, Do you have a pic of your hero Trudeau on your night stand?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals