Are hot flashes due to thyroid surges?

TNT

Conventional thinking is that hot flashes are due to drops in estrogen. Maybe. But why would that cause a hot flash? And for me, the hot flashes always come with adrenaline surges. I'm wondering if when estrogen drops, thyroid surges, and that's what actually causes the hot flash -- a thyroid surge?

bookshelf

Conventional thinking is that hot flashes are due to drops in estrogen. Maybe. But why would that cause a hot flash? And for me, the hot flashes always come with adrenaline surges. I'm wondering if when estrogen drops, thyroid surges, and that's what actually causes the hot flash -- a thyroid surge?
Following.

Nicole W.

In my personal experience, hot flashes are caused by low blood sugar. If blood sugar drops too low, adrenaline comes to the rescue but usually overshoots the situation. Thus, a hot flash. Hot flashes often happen during the night because we haven’t eaten since dinner. It has been my observation that my friends who have the worst, most frequent hot flashes (we are all menopausal) are life long hardcore dieters. I don’t think this is coincidental. They suffer the most because they are hungry all the time.

Things that are involved in this dysregulation are age and estrogen dominance, which can also affect thyroid function and liver function.

All four players ( age, estrogen, thyroid, liver) are involved but I have found that the thing that immediately precedes a hot flash is low blood sugar event. Staying well fed, and balancing blood sugar, supporting liver function and keeping thyroid up all dramatically reduce the hot flashes for me.

I have also found magnesium taurate or even just Taurine to be extremely helpful with regard to hot flashes.

bookshelf

In my personal experience, hot flashes are caused by low blood sugar. If blood sugar drops too low, adrenaline comes to the rescue but usually overshoots the situation. Thus, a hot flash. Hot flashes often happen during the night because we haven’t eaten since dinner. It has been my observation that my friends who have the worst, most frequent hot flashes (we are all menopausal) are life long hardcore dieters. I don’t think this is coincidental. They suffer the most because they are hungry all the time.

Things that are involved in this dysregulation are age and estrogen dominance, which can also affect thyroid function and liver function.

All four players ( age, estrogen, thyroid, liver) are involved but I have found that the thing that immediately precedes a hot flash is low blood sugar event. Staying well fed, and balancing blood sugar, supporting liver function and keeping thyroid up all dramatically reduce the hot flashes for me.

I have also found magnesium taurate or even just Taurine to be extremely helpful with regard to hot flashes.
I think this explains the bulk of it for many and, in some cases, for me. I will say that I can be the opposite (at least during the day) in that, the hungrier I get, the colder I get (wicked cold). It usually goes away as the food starts to hit bottom but there are some instances where I will actually get a hot flash in succession in the middle to end of eating. It's amusing for some, maybe, but the swing of profound coldness followed by a heat wave in a matter of so many minutes is not fun let me tell you...lol

I sometimes think that it is adrenaline scrambling to make up for an imbalance but, as I'd mentioned ^, my body doesn't always quite follow the logic.

Jennifer

What Nicole said was true for me, but I discovered food allergies were also a trigger. With allergenic food, my face and ears felt like they were on fire from the surge of adrenaline. Also, I would feel a hot flash (and my heart racing) while eating if I was coming from a hypoglycemic state.

maillol

The experiences above, especially the correlation with eating suggest a candida infection to me.

Nicole W.

I think this explains the bulk of it for many and, in some cases, for me. I will say that I can be the opposite (at least during the day) in that, the hungrier I get, the colder I get (wicked cold). It usually goes away as the food starts to hit bottom but there are some instances where I will actually get a hot flash in succession in the middle to end of eating. It's amusing for some, maybe, but the swing of profound coldness followed by a heat wave in a matter of so many minutes is not fun let me tell you...lol

I sometimes think that it is adrenaline scrambling to make up for an imbalance but, as I'd mentioned ^, my body doesn't always quite follow the logic.
This was happening to me too. I would start to eat and suddenly get a hot flash. At first, I was really confused by this, but now think it is the liver’s inability to respond quickly enough to the influx of food. For me, a short course of taurine resolved this problem. Now I find magnesium taurate is a better option. It seems to absorb better without the digestive issues that sometimes go along with taurine. I rarely have a hot flash anymore.

PeatBull

I get niacin like flush on my face when i eat chicken breast ( can eat the rest of chicken with no problems) and salmon too.

aniciete

What Nicole said was true for me, but I discovered food allergies were also a trigger. With allergenic food, my face and ears felt like they were on fire from the surge of adrenaline. Also, I would feel a hot flash (and my heart racing) while eating if I was coming from a hypoglycemic state.
do the hot flashes eventually go away once you no longer have hypoglycemia?

Jennifer

do the hot flashes eventually go away once you no longer have hypoglycemia?

For me they did. I haven’t had a hypoglycemic episode and hot flashes since changing my diet.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals