Adrenaline Surges and Hot Flashes

TNT

I'm 51 and perimenopausal. Last year, I started having hot flashes, so I used topical bioidentical estrogen and progesterone for about 11 months, and the hot flashes went away. A couple months ago, I stopped the estrogen and am now just using progesterone (24 drops of Progestene a day). But I've started having hot flashes with adrenaline surges, and the adrenaline surges are making me unable to sleep, because starting around 4am, they start happening, so I don't really sleep for the rest of the night.

What should I do? Also, I know Ray Peat doesn't believe hot flashes are caused by low estrogen, but my having hot flashes starting up shortly after stopping estrogen kind of points to the idea that it's low estrogen that's causing this, no? I wouldn't even mind the heat so much, but the adrenaline is killing me.

Thanx for any help!

Lizb

I've been trying for years to get rid of hot flushes....the adrenaline is awful.

Interuppted sleep is upsetting.

Beastmode

Taking a look at your salt and sugar intake might be helpful. The women I know who have and are going through this underestimate(d) how important these are in regulating them.

Check your body temp and pulse next time you experience one and see what happens after some additional salt and sugar (i.e- coke and some tortilla chips.)

It's not the total approach, but I imagine getting some instant relief while you sort out your system can be helpful.

Rafe

Hot flashes happen when your body temp is starting to go down.

That can be caused by your glycogen stores being low/exhausted, blood sugar reduces, body secretes adrenaline to produce glucose from body tissues.

Older bodies are less efficient at supplying glucose to tissues. Older female livers are less robust at producing glucose on demand.

Estrogen helps the body adapt to lower body temps.

So it would feel like a lack of estrogen causes the body to become uncomfortably hot. But that’s deceptive. The body temp is actually going down. And estrogen is intensifying that. It’s making it worse in the long run by slowing the metabolism.

Think of what a fever feels like: chills when your temp goes up & sweat when your temp goes down.

The body slows its production of energy to preserve the tissues from cannibalization when glucose is not available.

Answer: eat. Eat well during the day, especially early in the day. Eat enough before bed. Eat when you wake up in the night.

I don’t mean to become just an eating machine. But if you browse other threads on the forum you can see what people say about how to do that.

P

Peatness

Have you checked your thyroid?

Are you getting enough carbs?

Attachments

• K dalton Progesterone and related topics interview.pdf
    68.7 KB · Views: 85

InChristAlone

Hot flashes happen when your body temp is starting to go down.

That can be caused by your glycogen stores being low/exhausted, blood sugar reduces, body secretes adrenaline to produce glucose from body tissues.

Older bodies are less efficient at supplying glucose to tissues. Older female livers are less robust at producing glucose on demand.

So it would feel like a lack of estrogen causes the body to become uncomfortably hot. But that’s deceptive. The body temp is actually going down. And estrogen is intensifying that. It’s making it worse in the long run by slowing the metabolism.

Think of what a fever feels like: chills when your temp goes up & sweat when your temp goes down.

The body slows its production of energy to preserve the tissues from cannibalization when glucose is not available.

Answer: eat. Eat well during the day, especially early in the day. Eat enough before bed. Eat when you wake up in the night.

I don’t mean to become just an eating machine. But if you browse other threads on the forum you can see what people say about how to do that.
This! All very true. Eating enough and often is essential when going through adrenaline.

Beastmode

I think this is another great example of why keeping metrics of body temp and pulse are so vital to getting quality, always useful, feedback.

hazel

en mi caso no es por bajo glucógeno, me pasa comiendo, después de comer y en todo momento y más intenso si me pasa algo que me pone nervioso.

I'm 51 and perimenopausal. Last year, I started having hot flashes, so I used topical bioidentical estrogen and progesterone for about 11 months, and the hot flashes went away. A couple months ago, I stopped the estrogen and am now just using progesterone (24 drops of Progestene a day). But I've started having hot flashes with adrenaline surges, and the adrenaline surges are making me unable to sleep, because starting around 4am, they start happening, so I don't really sleep for the rest of the night.

What should I do? Also, I know Ray Peat doesn't believe hot flashes are caused by low estrogen, but my having hot flashes starting up shortly after stopping estrogen kind of points to the idea that it's low estrogen that's causing this, no? I wouldn't even mind the heat so much, but the adrenaline is killing me.

Thanx for any help!
My husband has been experiencing hot flashes and adrenal surges too in the last 6 months. I have him to drink sugar and salt water and it makes him normal again. Maybe give it a try. It is a great combo for sleep too!

OP
T

TNT

I'm getting plenty of sugar and salt, but I'm wondering if maybe I've become more insulin-resistant, and if that could be why my body is not recognizing that I've got plenty of sugar.

I'm getting plenty of sugar and salt, but I'm wondering if maybe I've become more insulin-resistant, and if that could be why my body is not recognizing that I've got plenty of sugar.
Maybe try raw honey instead?

InChristAlone

You may find that sugar can cause a rollercoaster ride with blood glucose, I always have to eat fattier foods during the times my blood glucose is all over the place. It seems to prevent the lows.

Rafe

Agree with @Rinse & rePeat & @Blossom

My experience at first was peatish things take a lot of persistence & don’t start to incorporate as normal for at least 18 months. Then more so as time for building resilience becomes just you.

And all that time I tinkered. I’m still not as quick to adjust as I’d like. But when I do make a change I learn something that helps get things going in the right direction.

Takes mountains of patience. It pays off.

If I can offer good news: I can now do things that I couldn’t do in my 20s. And I’m older than you now.

I do get mini-hot flashes now. But that’s when my temps peak out in the mid-99s. They aren’t uncomfortable. And eating salty or sugary is my go-to like they said.

OP
T

TNT

Have you checked your thyroid?

Are you getting enough carbs?
@Pina , this is interesting. They're talking about progesterone receptors, and that might be an issue for me. How does one sensitive one's progesterone receptors?

P

Peatness

@Pina , this is interesting. They're talking about progesterone receptors, and that might be an issue for me. How does one sensitive one's progesterone receptors?
I think a stable blood sugar would do it and thyroid is also involved

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals