Maximum Reasonable Dose of Progesterone

TNT

What's the maximum reasonable dose of progesterone that can be used for a woman? I'm currently using Progestene topically, and I'm up to 36 drops (about 61 mg). I'm wondering if that's too much, and if I can increase it even more. It does help relax me, but I'm still having hot flashes during the night, so I don't know if it's reasonable to use more or if I'm gonna cause problems if I do that.

Last edited:

Marquis777

What's the maximum reasonable dose of progesterone that can be used? I'm currently using Progestene topically, and I'm up to 36 drops (about 61 mg). I'm wondering if that's too much, and if I can increase it even more. It does help relax me, but I'm still having hot flashes during the night, so I don't know if it's reasonable to use more or if I'm gonna cause problems if I do that.
Are you a man or a woman.

Happycat

Isn't topical absorption about 10 to 20%? Then you are using a very small dose.

I read testimonies from women who use 500mg of cream topically or more, to get rid of hot flashes.

OP
T

TNT

Isn't topical absorption about 10 to 20%? Then you are using a very small dose.

I read testimonies from women who use 500mg of cream topically or more, to get rid of hot flashes.
Wow, that's a lot! I think topical absorption is better? I think @haidut told me it's better this way, but I don't remember the specifics of what he said about topical absorption. Maybe he'll jump in here.

boris

What's the maximum reasonable dose of progesterone that can be used for a woman? I'm currently using Progestene topically, and I'm up to 36 drops (about 61 mg). I'm wondering if that's too much, and if I can increase it even more. It does help relax me, but I'm still having hot flashes during the night, so I don't know if it's reasonable to use more or if I'm gonna cause problems if I do that.

That can be too little when someone has high estrogen. Everyone has a different condition in the body. Even as a male I need a lot more sometimes. Sometimes I take about 200mg.

B

Braveheart

Wow, that's a lot! I think topical absorption is better? I think @haidut told me it's better this way, but I don't remember the specifics of what he said about topical absorption. Maybe he'll jump in here.
PEAT SAYS He has stated several times that topical requires much more to be equal to an oral dose. ***He has said oral is more efficient.

PEAT...***When dissolved in vitamin E, progesterone begins entering the blood stream almost as soon as it contacts any membrane, such as the lips, tongue, gums, or palate, but when it is swallowed, it continues to be absorbed as part of the digestive process. When taken with food, its absorption occurs at the same rate as the digestion and absorption of the food.

For a man probably 20 mg...a woman ??

Fairykiller

When my cycle was short after my first birth my doc recommended to take 400mg daily and variably (but only during the second half of my cycle, after ovulation)

OP
T

TNT

That can be too little when someone has high estrogen. Everyone has a different condition in the body. Even as a male I need a lot more sometimes. Sometimes I take about 200mg.
Boris, 200mg of what type of progesterone?

Beastmode

If you use it topically, you need to mix it with something like olive oil for absorption. Peat used to make a batch for people back in the day like this to rub on their skin.

If you don't like it orally, you can put it vaginally. My wife did that for a while while pregnant when she couldn't stand the taste orally.

OP
T

TNT

If you use it topically, you need to mix it with something like olive oil for absorption. Peat used to make a batch for people back in the day like this to rub on their skin.

If you don't like it orally, you can put it vaginally. My wife did that for a while while pregnant when she couldn't stand the taste orally.
Beastmode, the owners of Idealabs said it absorbs well with alcohol. Do you disagree?

B

Braveheart

Oral, with long chain fatty acid, ie. olive oil for maximum efficiency....dosage is your choice....

Beastmode

Beastmode, the owners of Idealabs said it absorbs well with alcohol. Do you disagree?
I don't disagree. I'm only familiar with their product that was dmso based. I think Peat mentioned in an interview about dmso absorbing more in an example of someone wanting to apply something to a finger or toe nail. I think @Hans mentions the difference in absorption rate for all of them. It was a dhea thread.

Personally, we use progest-e.

Peat has mentioned that you cannot overdose on progesterone, though you will experience sedation when you take too much. He's mentioned in his PMS book that taking 10mg orally every 10 minutes until symptoms are gone is recommended. I have taken as much as 700mg (this was too much - I was insanely sedated like I had just had 4 cocktails - drunk!). Nothing bad happened, it wore off (took a good 5-6 hours), and I started over the next day with half that. I think it also changes over time since at first you sensitive the estrogen receptors, making estrogen more dominant and thus requiring more. I took this much because I am treating a brain injury, but just demonstrating that nothing terrible happens with too much. I am in somewhat unchartered territory though Peat has some great stories of patients with neurological conditions making full recoveries with progesterone. So, I hope to be one of those. Fingers crossed.

OP
T

TNT

Peat has mentioned that you cannot overdose on progesterone, though you will experience sedation when you take too much. He's mentioned in his PMS book that taking 10mg orally every 10 minutes until symptoms are gone is recommended. I have taken as much as 700mg (this was too much - I was insanely sedated like I had just had 4 cocktails - drunk!). Nothing bad happened, it wore off (took a good 5-6 hours), and I started over the next day with half that. I think it also changes over time since at first you sensitive the estrogen receptors, making estrogen more dominant and thus requiring more. I took this much because I am treating a brain injury, but just demonstrating that nothing terrible happens with too much. I am in somewhat unchartered territory though Peat has some great stories of patients with neurological conditions making full recoveries with progesterone. So, I hope to be one of those. Fingers crossed.
Thank you, @themartian1000 . Any idea how oral dosage compares to topical dosage? I'm using Progestene topically, so I don't know how to compare that to your 700 mg oral.

boris

Absolutely wrong. You will stop breathing and die if you take too much progesterone. Dr. Peat said he chose the specific size and concentration that is in Progest-E, so you can‘t kill yourself by drinking the whole bottle.

OP
T

TNT

Absolutely wrong. You will stop breathing and die if you take too much progesterone. Dr. Peat said he chose the specific size and concentration that is in Progest-E, so you can‘t kill yourself by drinking the whole bottle.
Boris, any idea, then, what a "too much" dosage is?