Anyone Ever Hear Of This Person

beachbum

Hello
Has anyone heard of this man, Cyrus Khambatta. Also called the mango man. He explains insulin resistance well for the average joe. He says only have 15% of calories from fat. I will post the link of explanation below. Can others comment on his thoughts.

What Causes Insulin Resistance? Lipid Overload

OP
beachbum

beachbum

I forgot to mention he was a type 1 diabetic.

Ideonaut

Hello
Has anyone heard of this man, Cyrus Khambatta. Also called the mango man. He explains insulin resistance well for the average joe. He says only have 15% of calories from fat. I will post the link of explanation below. Can others comment on his thoughts.

Thanks. Yet more reason to eat low fat. I'm used to hashbrowns fried in lots of coconut oil and vegetables sauteed in lots of coconut oil. Will have to cut that out. Peat says a small teaspoon or two of coconut oil 3x/day. I'm sure I eat many multiples of that.

OP
beachbum

beachbum

Yes.. I was doing coconut oil thinking it would help weightloss. I just read more on that site under the blog section and found out he eats a plant based diet. I have been thinking of doing that again because I find myself not feeling good with eating alot of meat. I would miss dairy though. I have to do more reading and asking more questions.

Last edited:

tankasnowgod

Hello

I took a quick look, and noticed he didn't mention anything about iron, nor did he actually cite any references. I don't understand why anyone on this forum who is insulin resistant wouldn't get a full iron panel ASAP. They aren't very expensive (about 40 dollars if you buy direct), and the treatment (blood donation) is quick, easy, and free. It's incredibly well researched too. A quick search of "Iron Reduction Insulin Pubmed" brings up these studies of associations and treatment-

Effects of phlebotomy-induced reduction of body iron stores on metabolic syndrome: results from a randomized clinical trial
Low iron status and enhanced insulin sensitivity in lacto-ovo vegetarians. - PubMed - NCBI
http://thelancet.com/journals/landia/article/PIIS2213-8587(13)70174-8/fulltext
Iron and insulin resistance
http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0152625

There are some excellent books on the subject, like Exposing the Hidden Danger of Iron by E.D. Weinberg, and The Iron Factor of Aging by Dr. Facchini.

People don't even test for insulin resistance here, why would they test for iron?

he has no idea what he's talking about... mostly making connections based on studies.. like insulin resistance is caused by fat because people with diabetes have elevated levels of fatty acids in the blood. that's his only argument. he doesnt realize that increased stress and low blood sugar would increase cortisol and would cause those fatty acids to be released. he doesnt understand the underlying mechanisms taking place, he is just making assumptions based on an observation from a study... if this showed up, then it must be true.

OP
beachbum

beachbum

Thank you for your replies which helps me understand the way our body works and others outlook.

Parsifal

he has no idea what he's talking about... mostly making connections based on studies.. like insulin resistance is caused by fat because people with diabetes have elevated levels of fatty acids in the blood. that's his only argument. he doesnt realize that increased stress and low blood sugar would increase cortisol and would cause those fatty acids to be released. he doesnt understand the underlying mechanisms taking place, he is just making assumptions based on an observation from a study... if this showed up, then it must be true.
What about the Randle Cycle?

He's just parroting Pritikin, McDougall, Esselstyn, Ornish, Barnard, Swank, etc. Nothing new.

Last edited:

Constatine

I agree he is making plenty of assumptions. Insulin resistance is a complicated phenomenon with many factors. That being said a high fat diet is quite bad for insulin resistance.

Iceman2016

I took a quick look, and noticed he didn't mention anything about iron, nor did he actually cite any references. I don't understand why anyone on this forum who is insulin resistant wouldn't get a full iron panel ASAP. They aren't very expensive (about 40 dollars if you buy direct), and the treatment (blood donation) is quick, easy, and free. It's incredibly well researched too. A quick search of "Iron Reduction Insulin Pubmed" brings up these studies of associations and treatment-

Effects of phlebotomy-induced reduction of body iron stores on metabolic syndrome: results from a randomized clinical trial
Low iron status and enhanced insulin sensitivity in lacto-ovo vegetarians. - PubMed - NCBI
http://thelancet.com/journals/landia/article/PIIS2213-8587(13)70174-8/fulltext
Iron and insulin resistance
The Effects of Dietary Iron and Capsaicin on Hemoglobin, Blood Glucose, Insulin Tolerance, Cholesterol, and Triglycerides, in Healthy and Diabetic Wistar Rats

There are some excellent books on the subject, like Exposing the Hidden Danger of Iron by E.D. Weinberg, and The Iron Factor of Aging by Dr. Facchini.

Thanks for the links and references.

Have you ever resorted to phlebotomy to lower iron stores and therefore improve insulin resistance?

lvysaur

Pretty sure you can eat coconut oil ad libitum without issues

OP
beachbum

beachbum

I was actually wondering more if I should watch my fat intake. It wasn't really about the insulin part, so sorry if that seemed why I posted that information. But by doing so helped me understand other factors for belly fat for one and other problems Im having, not alot thank God.

What do you mean "a snow god", never heard of this.

tankasnowgod

Thanks for the links and references.

Have you ever resorted to phlebotomy to lower iron stores and therefore improve insulin resistance?

Yop. I took Ferritin from 444 down to around 25 mainly with phlebotomy, (although I also used IP6, lactoferrin, and dietary tweaks). It's been under 50 every time I've checked in the last three years.

I stopped checking my blood sugar years ago, but it did improve back when I used to check. I never get any sort of "carb crash" after eating anymore, am more energetic in general, and also have better overall mood.

tankasnowgod

Lol... I've been wondering to myself whether it's "tank a snow god" or "tank as now god"... or even something totally different.

It got made up during a game of Scrabble loooong ago. The original word was tank, which got turned into Tanka (a Japanese poem similar in structure to a Haiku, but longer), and then things just got out of control in an attempt to get to the Triple Word Score. So, if anything, I like to think of it as a command for more poems- Tankas now, god!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals