Another Ex-Keto/Carnivore here, but I've been 'Peating' for 2 years now.

JKX

Yeah, I had the same thought when I first saw this. But in that video he's only been detoxing vitamin A, himself, for I believe a little over a year. Idk - I don't think Peat is the healthiest looking (or sounding, given the long pauses and slow speech, etc.) guy either so seems like a bit of a wash to me. The info is still very interesting. Here's the original RPforum post re: vitamin A toxicity that stirred up interesting discussion back in the day, clearly.
Really, so you've met Ray in real life? What was he like?

Yeah, I had the same thought when I first saw this. But in that video he's only been detoxing vitamin A, himself, for I believe a little over a year. Idk - I don't think Peat is the healthiest looking (or sounding, given the long pauses and slow speech, etc.) guy either so seems like a bit of a wash to me. The info is still very interesting. Here's the original RPforum post re: vitamin A toxicity that stirred up interesting discussion back in the day, clearly.
Of course Ray Peat doesn't look as good as he would have had he not rotted his teeth out debunking the wheat germ craze, which gave him mouth cancee, which he cured himself. When you are the guy trying to figure out the answers to everything health related you are going to have successes and many failures. His body paid the price for all those answers that we benefit from. I have had my fair share of failures trying to find they key to good health and the fountain of youth and only stopped the aging process finding Peat's work, and even reversed some signs of aging. I am grateful to him for my good health and my youthfulness. I went full on Peat, so that probably makes a huge difference. Here is my no make-up selfie from 3 weeks ago and I am two years away from 60.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211016-175741_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20211016-175741_Gallery.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:
Difference is that Peat is 85 meanwhile this guy is probably half that age.

Here's how Peat sounded 2 decades ago.

OP
P

pd001

@youngsinatra - So you think vitamin-a is toxic? *btw it's from one of your posts where I've learned about tmg.
@Rinse & rePeat - About not taking supplements, I tend to agree with that too (maybe for certain supplements/quality though).
@RenaissanceMan
- Sleep issues, is something that I have to work on.
- I sleep around 3am or 4am and wake up around noon time
- And my sleep goes differently from other days of the week
- Sometimes I wake up after 3 hours and go back to sleep again, I get a total of 7-8 hours of sleep a day though.
- And as far as waking up, I feel normal and don't feel tired or anything.
@redsun
- As with my niacinamide dose, back then I take 650-1250mg (approximately) a day.
- And the increase of dosage happens when I eat outside (it might even go over up to 1500mg).
- Now a days it's 500mg a day.
- But is there another way to mitigate issues caused by taking niacinamide (or a substitute for it's proposed benefits)?
@RenaissanceMan
- Regarding how Ray Peat sounds 2 decades ago, my aunt is 84 and is just as articulate as Ray Peat was back then (including the speed of her verbiage).
- She took all the mRNA jabs though (including these 'boosters'), since she's lives in Canada.
- No signs of any unusual as of yet (knock on wood).
- But do you think, we'll all eventually get into that point where it'll difficult for us to formulate or regurgitate sentences verbally?
- Or the cause of that is ultimately diet & lifestyle?
@macguffin
- Can you tell us your diet and supplements if you don't mind?
- I think I'll give that a shot, I mean the low vitamin-a diet.
- So that and taking tmg w/ niacinamide (or just stopping niacinamide completely).

redsun

@youngsinatra - So you think vitamin-a is toxic? *btw it's from one of your posts where I've learned about tmg.
@Rinse & rePeat - About not taking supplements, I tend to agree with that too (maybe for certain supplements/quality though).
@RenaissanceMan
- Sometimes I wake up after 3 hours and go back to sleep again, I get a total of 7-8 hours of sleep a day though.
@redsun
- As with my niacinamide dose, back then I take 650-1250mg (approximately) a day.
- And the increase of dosage happens when I eat outside (it might even go over up to 1500mg).
- But is there another way to mitigate issues caused by taking niacinamide (or a substitute for it's proposed benefits)?
@RenaissanceMan
- Regarding how Ray Peat sounds 2 decades ago, my aunt is 84 and is just as articulate as Ray Peat was back then (including the speed of her verbiage).
- She took all the mRNA jabs though (including these 'boosters'), since she's lives in Canada.
- But do you think, we'll all eventually get into that point where it'll difficult for us to formulate or regurgitate sentences verbally?
@macguffin
- So that and taking tmg w/ niacinamide (or just stopping niacinamide completely).

Yeh thats a lot of niacinamide and at that dose you are depleting methyl too much and will cause or exacerbate liver problems. Methyl donors such as betaine are often used to deal with this loss of methyl groups but regardless I dont think this amount of niacinamide is helpful long term.

GreekDemiGod

I came to Peating in mid 2020 after doing keto/carnivore for almost 3 years. At first, I felt amazing with the re-introduction of carbs (the keto people, after all, are certainly wrong about carbs being bad for you). It felt like a fog was lifted as I exited the stressful state of fat metabolism.

However, this honeymoon phase only lasted for a short time for me. As time has gone on while "Peating" my health has only gotten worse and worse and I have started to develop new symptoms that I NEVER had before (pain and swelling in my liver, yellow eyes, itchy skin, shrunken testicles, diminished libido, worse brain fog, worse joint pain, etc.).

If you hang around this forum long enough, you will notice that my story is not unique, although many here don't seem to want to admit it to themselves. I also didn't want to admit it to myself. I see the same members posting over and over again with new and worsening symptoms. Personally, I've seen almost zero posts from people reporting that anything has gotten better. I no longer think this is a coincidence.

I believe that Ray Peat has some interesting insights and I applaud him for being a courageous thinker. But if you follow the core "Ray Peat" diet that many here espouse (lots of dairy, fruit, fruit juice, OJ, eggs, liver, oysters, etc.), I am becoming more and more convinced that you are going to destroy yourself. That is certainly what has been happening to me and my wife over the last ~1.5 years and, as you will see, it is what is happening to many of the members here who only continue to get worse and worse. (This reality is masked by the "embrace suffering and push your body" attitude that GreekDemiGod highlighted). Both our devolution was speeded up because we took Accutane + SSRIs several years ago and my liver was already in bad shape from those giga doses of vitamin A.

The reason for this, I am becoming more and more convinced, is that "Vitamin A" is not a vitamin at all, but a very destructive toxin that builds up in the liver and destroys your health. I was first turned on to this idea by the work of Grant Genereux (check out this post to find the link to his e-book). And the work of Dr. Garret Smith building on Genereux's work. They make the case far better than I can, so I will just point you in their direction (links at the end). The reason I bring this up is because dark circles under the eyes can be an early sign of liver issues, and if you're eating RP you are eating high vitamin A (hepatotoxic).

I've recently switched to a low vitamin A diet (so I ditched the milk, the eggs, the OJ, the liver) and I ALREADY feel better. It's nuts. Check out this thread for many such similar testimonies - personally, I have NOT found testimonies like that to how "Peating" has helped people's health. Quite the contrary in fact.

Here is Dr. Garret Smith on how Vitamin A toxicity is at epidemic levels (literally) :
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WX_HU7FwxBU

And here is Dr. Garret Smith doing a "case study" on Christ Masterjohn and how he exhibits all the signs of Vitamin A toxicity (Chris eats a diet very similar to RP style and this one was very eye opening to me):
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8Jn86UaFPc&t=1s

Imagine thinking eggs are bad for you.

username

One advice I can give you: if something doesn't work in the short term, if you don't feel good doing it: don't stick with it, just drop it.
There is this idea around this forum of embracing suffering, of pushing through until your body / organ heals. But it may end up never working.
Hmm... I am not about suffering needlessly, but I came from 2 years of carnivore, and it took me about a year to get my sugar metabolism back. I was going through waves of energy and heavy crashes for the first year of peating. I feel much more stable now, but I don't think I'm 100%

shanny

Forum Supporter
One advice I can give you: if something doesn't work in the short term, if you don't feel good doing it: don't stick with it, just drop it.
There is this idea around this forum of embracing suffering, of pushing through until your body / organ heals. But it may end up never working.
This. I would start with foods that YOU know you tolerate. Things that feel good for you and make you feel good. Stick with those for a period of time until you feel like you are stable and notice some improvements (like the dark circles lifting), then try introducing one new thing at a time to test your tolerance. I think most people would agree that the supplements are a slippery slope. I would stay away from them for a bit and use cronometer to see that you are meeting micronutrients as best you can with foods that you are tolerating.

Taotatoes

Of course Ray Peat doesn't look as good as he would have had he not rotted his teeth out debunking the wheat germ craze, which gave him mouth cancee, which he cured himself. When you are the guy trying to figure out the answers to everything health related you are going to have successes and many failures. His body paid the price for all those answers that we benefit from. I have had my fair share of failures trying to find they key to good health and the fountain of youth and only stopped the aging process finding Peat's work, and even reversed some signs of aging. I am grateful to him for my good health and my youthfulness. I went full on Peat, so that probably makes a huge difference. Here is my no make-up selfie from 3 weeks ago and I am two years away from 60.
You look amazing, hugely inspiring.

frannybananny

Well I don't believe this at all...about not coloring your hair. Nobody, I mean NOBODY stays blonde at 60 years of age even if they were platinum as a child and through teenage years! All blonde women know this. So go try and sell this story to other people who are not women. We know what's going on.

Last edited:

AlaskaJono

Well I don't believe this at all...about not coloring your hair. Nobody, I mean NOBODY stays blonde at 60 years of age even if they were platinum as a child and through teenage years! All blonde women know this. So go try and sell this story to other people who are not women. We know what's going on. Good luck with your charade.
Ummmm, All I can say is you really know how to use CAPS! My wife is 59 and has just a few dozen white hairs. OH, black hair, not blonde. I have know people that have just maybe 50/50 white/brown hair at 75 y/o and older. Depends. Sure it isn't true that every person ages exactly the same. But to say that @Rinse & rePeat is lying is possibly another way of saying that you went grey (or aged) earlier and you simply can't stand it that someone figured out - through experimentation- how to get the best diet for their situation and look great for being almost 60. I had a great-aunt that was at least 20 years older than my mother and always looked a few years younger than me mum. She did not have plastic surgery done, so it was simply genetics with a healthy diet and healthy mind. And this with no particular diet limitations. Meat eater. Not much else to say, except, Perceive. Think. Act.
(PS) My wife just told me that 4 or 5 years ago she went on a trip to Europe and friends of hers there asked if she died her hair. No way said she. They did not believe her. Oh well.

AlaskaJono

@redsun
@RenaissanceMan
@macguffin
I don't know of anyone who has a sleeping schedule like this (Bedtime 3-4am) and does not have dark circles under their eyes. Some folks do fine with the schedule energy wise for periods of time, like 3 years or 5 years, but not continuously. This is my experience. In Trad. Chinese Medicine it is a Kidney deficiency sign, which translates to more of an adrenal exhaustion situation. I have known a lot of people, all over the place, and had a business with clients in the health industry for 30 years.
Also just to say that I don't personally use the words "Ray Peat diet" or "Peating" because it seems ridiculous to me. Adjusting one's diet according to circumstance, and using the minimal vitamin/hormone supplement is what I understand. Overall body metabolism (temperature/heart rate/'energy 'levels) and cellular metabolism adjustments are where Ray's knowledge and experience are helpful. But to say "Peating" is really bad for you, I just don't get it. This ain't an orthodox version of the dietary bible or koran. "(Ray Peat diet consists of Orange juice, milk and cheese, oysters, and sheeps liver every week...."... As needed, not as prescribed by the Oracle at Eugene. (not Delphi.... )
Tweaking one's diet and feeling mo' betta' should be the signposts, as well as deep relaxing sleep and body temp and heart rate etc.. I am not personally into testing blood, and getting all the numbers as they can be distracting or just not meaningful for a particular individual.
If your liver is not healthy,(Western or Chinese medicine style) you can not digest fats well and you can't have a healthy metabolism or healthy thyroid. Or process hormones well.
Just my opinion and good luck. Good health can be a long road, especially via diet, so make it as fun and tasty, enjoy it as much as possible. Cheers.

frannybananny

Ummmm, All I can say is you really know how to use CAPS! My wife is 59 and has just a few dozen white hairs. OH, black hair, not blonde. I have know people that have just maybe 50/50 white/brown hair at 75 y/o and older. Depends. Sure it isn't true that every person ages exactly the same. But to say that @Rinse & rePeat is lying is possibly another way of saying that you went grey (or aged) earlier and you simply can't stand it that someone figured out - through experimentation- how to get the best diet for their situation and look great for being almost 60. I had a great-aunt that was at least 20 years older than my mother and always looked a few years younger than me mum. She did not have plastic surgery done, so it was simply genetics with a healthy diet and healthy mind. And this with no particular diet limitations. Meat eater. Not much else to say, except, Perceive. Think. Act.
(PS) My wife just told me that 4 or 5 years ago she went on a trip to Europe and friends of hers there asked if she died her hair. No way said she. They did not believe her. Oh well.
I'm not saying Rinse and repeat is lying... I think she is kidding herself and maybe trying to kid us too.

Thank you Jono for coming to my defense. I didn’t quite know how to respond to that. I have grays, but they blend well and it is just a little in my temples mostly. I pluck the ones that come in at the top. It is late, but I just took these pics of the extent of my gray. Here is a pic I took yesterday of the grays I have yet to pluck on top of my hair. Honey works wonders for my hair.

Attachments

• 17270415-4EAE-45C8-A6C7-449766E46734.jpeg
    17270415-4EAE-45C8-A6C7-449766E46734.jpeg
    831 KB · Views: 31
  • 9E20081A-129F-4B14-AD15-EADBEF8E6CE1.jpeg
    9E20081A-129F-4B14-AD15-EADBEF8E6CE1.jpeg
    400.8 KB · Views: 25
  • 9B956015-B70D-4AE0-BB88-10F1E8ACE0D8.jpeg
    9B956015-B70D-4AE0-BB88-10F1E8ACE0D8.jpeg
    380.2 KB · Views: 24
  • D293EE8F-FE47-4CBF-A86D-44EA284F45BA.png
    D293EE8F-FE47-4CBF-A86D-44EA284F45BA.png
    723.6 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
I'm not saying Rinse and repeat is lying... I think she is kidding herself and maybe trying to kid us too.
This picture was from last year when I was in our jacuzzi a lot so it lightened it a lot, you can see my gray in the temples. Why wouldn’t I dye those along with the rest if I dye my hair?

Attachments

• 6144161E-1F1A-4564-BA3B-BD3545A11A2B.png
    6144161E-1F1A-4564-BA3B-BD3545A11A2B.png
    373.8 KB · Views: 24
  • 940AE773-158D-4C38-81E2-C38BE9F48F6C.jpeg
    940AE773-158D-4C38-81E2-C38BE9F48F6C.jpeg
    287.4 KB · Views: 23

frannybananny

This picture was from last year when I was in our jacuzzi a lot so it lightened it a lot, you can see my gray in the temples. Why wouldn’t I dye those along with the rest if I dye my hair?
Oh I see, yes, I have grey coming in at the temples too. No biggie.

AlaskaJono

Thank you Jono for coming to my defense. I didn’t quite know how to respond to that. I have grays, but they blend well and it is just a little in my temples mostly. I pluck the ones that come in at the top. It is late, but I just took these pics of the extent of my gray. Here is a pic I took yesterday of the grays I have yet to pluck on top of my hair. Honey works wonders for my hair.
Gday Rinse, yes, defending your online integrity, as for the record we do not know anything about each other outside of this site, and to an extent the integrity of this lovely forum. ;-) What works for some does not work for others, and some people ('s physiology) just keep on going with bad food/smokes/ other bad habits and anger issues and they last until the 90's!!! We all are revealing as much as we can when we share and convey our life/health details, and of course we may carry some 'fuzzy zones", as we are human, but it is in the Truth of our writings that we may receive help, or insight, or inspiration.

I am convinced that the percentage of long lifers is going down as time marches forward, as many older folks 75-85 years old I have known well, and treated some with acupuncture, have had a great start in this world. If they were born around 1900, then not too much toxic stuff in food. Even if they weren't rich and could buy meat all the time. Minerals in the soil, vitality, mental+emotional aspects of the family group, and values were more solid in the old days and less frenetic. Nervous system overload for most folks now. Anyhow, this isn't a longevity thread, so pardon my diversion.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals