Introduction and Glad to be here!

Elie

Forum Supporter
There is nothing special about croissants other than they are a good vehicle for carrying SF. The diet was modeled after the French, so it was just a cheeky nod to that. The prime tenants of the diet is to remove PUFA, and increase long chain SF. As far as ratio's go they were not suggested, those were my own. I just started with a base of around 0.8 grams of protein per lb of lean body weight. The mechanism as it is explained (and this surely isn't Peaty at all) is that longer chain SF like palmitic (16 carbon) and stearic (18 carbon) over run the electron transport chain of the mitochondria and cause reverse electron transport. You can find out more about that on Brad's website fireinabottle.net. Without getting into the science, what happens is you wind up burning a lot more fat, particularly around the middle. This was true for me and numerous people I helped. I was a size 36 waist for at least 20 years, occasionally dipping down to a 35/34 with various practices. On the croissant diet I dropped down to a size 32 which is a bit loose and have maintained that for 6 months after loosing all the weight I wanted to lose.

As for the calorie reduction this was my own idea as well. From prior experience in competing in bodybuilding many years ago (25y) and at a very amateur and local level. I just felt a mild calorie restriction was in order to kick start it and to prevent hormones crashing from excess stress . The first few weeks I actually exceeded my maintenance calories by quite a bit and still lost (obviously my metabolic rate increased or I would not have been able to lose). I have seen this with others too, but it is short lived in my experience. I think getting rid of the PUFA allowed my thyroid to work and likely mine and others go a little hyper once the PUFA was removed but this seems to be short lived. This is only a guess, or a way for me to wrap my head around what happened. It seems people I have helped have had more success than others I hear form online who have tried it, so likely there is something to the ratio's and mild calorie reduction. Also everyone is in their own unique metabolic state, which is likely why it may not have worked for some.

I noticed and many others too that the weight can come off quick at first, then you hit a stall, just stick with it and weight will start dropping again, albeit slower than in the beginning for most. When people hit a stall I have routinely suggested they eat a couple more tablespoons of butter for a few days on top of what they have been eating, in almost all cases this results in them starting to drop weight again. It is crazy and seems counterintuitive but that has been my experience.

I can be found on YouTube by searching for Dave Fit, or Croissant diet.

While I was doing the diet people were asking lots of questions which caused me to dig in and research to try and give them the best answers I could. At first I was definitely convinced that PUFA's made you fat. Later after watching Dr. Chris Knobe, and Tucker Carlson I began to think PUFA's were toxic. This lead me to Dr. Peat. since all of this diet is based around the mitochondria and how different substrates effect it. The more I read and watched the more the whole bioenergetic view made sense. Because I was drinking from a fire hose, listening to every Peat interview I could, reading all of his posts, and found Danny Roddy as well as @haidut Georgi Dinkov, my view on a lot of this has changed. Not that the diet doesn't work, it most certainly does for many, but that once I lost the weight I wanted to increase my carbs and lower my Fat intake. So for the past 6 months I have basically replaced a large portion of my fat intake with simple sugars. I was already a huge advocate of getting your micros from food (eggs, liver, oysters etc.), so this wasn't an issue. I will point out the croissant diet isn't fully Peaty imho but many parts of it are. Oddly I was already eating baby carrots daily before finding RP.

I see people saying that starch and fat make you fat. Here is the question I have with that, the statement singles out a carbohydrate type (starch) but leaves the fat type open. I would ask do you think poly, mono, or saturated make you fat? Then more specifically which SF if they believe that SF does too? I saw a mouse study where they fed obesogenic mice (they have to be, apparently it's really tough to make a regular mouse fat) different fat types, one group was fed 30% of their diet Polyunsaturated fat (soybean oil), one was fed 30% monounsaturated (olive oil), and one was fed 30% saturated (stearic acid). At the end of the study the soy fed mice looked like obese balloons, the olive oil mice were a little fatter than before they started, and the stearic acid fed mice were extremely lean. This was an isocaloric study where they all got the same diet and same calories with only the fat substrate changed. I read that whole study almost 8 months ago, looked at all the pictures, graphs, etc. I have yet to be able to locate the study again. I am actually planning to repeat the study just for my own edification just to see if I can duplicate the results.

Anyway I hope this helps.

~David

I gained 2 pounds since starting on this approach 2 weeks ago or so. I am kind of discouraged.

OP
Dave_Fit

Dave_Fit

I gained 2 pounds since starting on this approach 2 weeks ago or so. I am kind of discouraged.
I have heard this a few times. The questions I usually ask are, did you track calories? I would assume being on this forum so long you likely have been depleting PUFA for a long time. It seems another person commented on my YouTube channel that they had eliminated PUFA years before and gained a few lbs. Are you taking any of the things used by many people who follow the bioenergetic approach that slow down lipolysis (aspirin, vit A, niacin, etc.)? Longer chain Saturated fat is the key to the reverse electron transport that causes the accelerated fat loss, mainly through its uncoupling effect (heat production), primarily stearic acid and to a slightly lesser degree palmitic acid. I am a firm believer in increased sodium intake as long as potassium is high as well. I usually shoot for 3000+ mg sodium and 4600+ potassium, along with 1500-2500 calcium. Basically while I was doing this I had all my macro and micro nutrients where I wanted them to be, mainly from my food sources. I did supplement Vit D3 and K2. Maybe tell me a little more about the changes you made, what you were doing before, supplements you are taking if you don't mind sharing?

Elie

Forum Supporter
I have heard this a few times. The questions I usually ask are, did you track calories? I would assume being on this forum so long you likely have been depleting PUFA for a long time. It seems another person commented on my YouTube channel that they had eliminated PUFA years before and gained a few lbs. Are you taking any of the things used by many people who follow the bioenergetic approach that slow down lipolysis (aspirin, vit A, niacin, etc.)? Longer chain Saturated fat is the key to the reverse electron transport that causes the accelerated fat loss, mainly through its uncoupling effect (heat production), primarily stearic acid and to a slightly lesser degree palmitic acid. I am a firm believer in increased sodium intake as long as potassium is high as well. I usually shoot for 3000+ mg sodium and 4600+ potassium, along with 1500-2500 calcium. Basically while I was doing this I had all my macro and micro nutrients where I wanted them to be, mainly from my food sources. I did supplement Vit D3 and K2. Maybe tell me a little more about the changes you made, what you were doing before, supplements you are taking if you don't mind sharing?
Thank you for your input.
I only take vit D on a fairly reg basis.
I have been making toast sandwiches with with butter and cheese a lot (cheddar, gouda).
milk and cottage cheese for extra protein and sometimes orange or mango juice with cheese mid day when I am out and about (lunch)
Dinner is usually cooked lentils and rice mix with butter or coconut oil and Haagan Dazs
I will monitor calories and micronutrients more closely.

OP
Dave_Fit

Dave_Fit

Thank you for your input.
I only take vit D on a fairly reg basis.
I have been making toast sandwiches with with butter and cheese a lot (cheddar, gouda).
milk and cottage cheese for extra protein and sometimes orange or mango juice with cheese mid day when I am out and about (lunch)
Dinner is usually cooked lentils and rice mix with butter or coconut oil and Haagan Dazs
I will monitor calories and micronutrients more closely.
Cool. That sounds like it should work, May just take a little tweaking. Sounds like you have that well in hand. Based on your input seems like B vitamins would be low, possibly low in sodium based on that input as well (depends on if/how much, you salt your food.) Potassium might be low too based on "sometimes orange or mango juice" mid day.

These are just some random samples from cronometer as far as Vitamins and Mineral targets I hit back in March. I did take Vit D3, K2, and was taking a low dose b-6 every other day at that time. I adjusted many of my targets for nutrients myself based on Dr. Chris Masterjohn phd. and many based on RP too. While these might not be ideal for some, this was what i was doing during the bulk of my weight loss. I wanted to make sure all the micro nutrients my mitochondria needed were present for them to be able to function well. I usually looked at my totals for cronometer mid day and decided if I needed to eat something to get more potassium as an example. If I was low I might drink a coconut water that would give me 900 mg potassium. If i was low on something else I might reach into my vitamin cabinet and take a biotin, b-6, or manganese for example. I tried to make it a mental game to get as close to all green targets for micro nutrients. While myself and my buddy Rob to a lessor extent are the only ones who did this to my knowledge. To date as far as I know we are also the ones who lost the most. I lost 48 lbs in roughly 6 months, Rob lost 57 lbs in roughly 7 months. I am not saying the micro nutrients are the reason, only that this is one thing we tracked and kept these as green as we could.

Something I have never mentioned but thought of recently is I was earthed or grounded while i slept. I have had an earthing mat on my bed connected to a cord that goes outside to a rod in the ground. I have no idea if this helped because I have been doing this for several years. I can say it definitely improved my sleep immediately when I first put the mat on my bed. Honestly never thought about it again.

Minerals2.png
Vitamins.png

Elie

Forum Supporter
Cool. That sounds like it should work, May just take a little tweaking. Sounds like you have that well in hand. Based on your input seems like B vitamins would be low, possibly low in sodium based on that input as well (depends on if/how much, you salt your food.) Potassium might be low too based on "sometimes orange or mango juice" mid day.

These are just some random samples from cronometer as far as Vitamins and Mineral targets I hit back in March. I did take Vit D3, K2, and was taking a low dose b-6 every other day at that time. I adjusted many of my targets for nutrients myself based on Dr. Chris Masterjohn phd. and many based on RP too. While these might not be ideal for some, this was what i was doing during the bulk of my weight loss. I wanted to make sure all the micro nutrients my mitochondria needed were present for them to be able to function well. I usually looked at my totals for cronometer mid day and decided if I needed to eat something to get more potassium as an example. If I was low I might drink a coconut water that would give me 900 mg potassium. If i was low on something else I might reach into my vitamin cabinet and take a biotin, b-6, or manganese for example. I tried to make it a mental game to get as close to all green targets for micro nutrients. While myself and my buddy Rob to a lessor extent are the only ones who did this to my knowledge. To date as far as I know we are also the ones who lost the most. I lost 48 lbs in roughly 6 months, Rob lost 57 lbs in roughly 7 months. I am not saying the micro nutrients are the reason, only that this is one thing we tracked and kept these as green as we could.

Something I have never mentioned but thought of recently is I was earthed or grounded while i slept. I have had an earthing mat on my bed connected to a cord that goes outside to a rod in the ground. I have no idea if this helped because I have been doing this for several years. I can say it definitely improved my sleep immediately when I first put the mat on my bed. Honestly never thought about it again.

View attachment 29780View attachment 29782
Appreciate your guidance.
Yesterday I did stick to calorie targets more closely and went to bed a bit hungrier than I usually would, but sleep quality was ok, but not great.

OP
Dave_Fit

Dave_Fit

Appreciate your guidance.
Yesterday I did stick to calorie targets more closely and went to bed a bit hungrier than I usually would, but sleep quality was ok, but not great.
For most but not all, the extra SF seems to help with satiety. On occasion I would be a little hungry when going to bed, this seems to never be the best sleep. I generally ate Haagen Dazs in the evening before bed and this along with a pinch of sea salt gave me the best sleep quality. Let me know how it goes.

Elie

Forum Supporter
For most but not all, the extra SF seems to help with satiety. On occasion I would be a little hungry when going to bed, this seems to never be the best sleep. I generally ate Haagen Dazs in the evening before bed and this along with a pinch of sea salt gave me the best sleep quality. Let me know how it goes.
Hi Dave
Just wanted to check in and report on progress.
on Nov 2 I reported I gained 2 lb. (was 226.5lb.) shortly after started eating more fat without tracking calories.
Since then I have been tracking calories diligently. I follow a 400 calorie deficit plan. Last week I lost those 2 lb and weighed 224.5 lb. and this morning I weighed 224lb. Is this a reasonable weight loss rate?
What are your thought on full fat sheep's milk? it has double the macros of cow's milk per cup (16 g fat, 14 g carbo, 15 g protein). I am asking this because I remember Ray suggested 1% milk for weight loss. Within the context of your recommended diet plan, can this type of milk work?

OP
Dave_Fit

Dave_Fit

Hi Dave
Just wanted to check in and report on progress.
on Nov 2 I reported I gained 2 lb. (was 226.5lb.) shortly after started eating more fat without tracking calories.
Since then I have been tracking calories diligently. I follow a 400 calorie deficit plan. Last week I lost those 2 lb and weighed 224.5 lb. and this morning I weighed 224lb. Is this a reasonable weight loss rate?
What are your thought on full fat sheep's milk? it has double the macros of cow's milk per cup (16 g fat, 14 g carbo, 15 g protein). I am asking this because I remember Ray suggested 1% milk for weight loss. Within the context of your recommended diet plan, can this type of milk work?
The sheep milk would be TCD approved, as long as it fits your macro's/calorie targets. Weight loss seems a little slow but as long as the needle is moving in the right direction I think it's good. I think most people come to TCD eating PUFA heavy diets not really realizing it and the depletion/elimination of the PUFA seems for most to cause rapid weight loss at first. I suspect this is because removing PUFA actually allows the thyroid to work properly both in production, transport, and entering the cells (PUFA blocks all of this). I would have to assume following Peat principles you have already eliminated PUFA long before giving this a go. So a less dramatic effect probably seems right. I lost roughly 20 lbs the first 6 weeks then lost another 20+ the next 5 months. So let's assume my initial burst was me getting rid of PUFA releasing a little over compensation by my thyroid (hyper) then things settled and weight loss slowed and averaged around 1 lb a week. i had weeks where I lost nothing, then the next week I would lose 2 lbs. This seems to be the normal course for most.

Elie

Forum Supporter
The sheep milk would be TCD approved, as long as it fits your macro's/calorie targets. Weight loss seems a little slow but as long as the needle is moving in the right direction I think it's good. I think most people come to TCD eating PUFA heavy diets not really realizing it and the depletion/elimination of the PUFA seems for most to cause rapid weight loss at first. I suspect this is because removing PUFA actually allows the thyroid to work properly both in production, transport, and entering the cells (PUFA blocks all of this). I would have to assume following Peat principles you have already eliminated PUFA long before giving this a go. So a less dramatic effect probably seems right. I lost roughly 20 lbs the first 6 weeks then lost another 20+ the next 5 months. So let's assume my initial burst was me getting rid of PUFA releasing a little over compensation by my thyroid (hyper) then things settled and weight loss slowed and averaged around 1 lb a week. i had weeks where I lost nothing, then the next week I would lose 2 lbs. This seems to be the normal course for most.
Well, if I lost 20lb. over the next 5 months I'd be ecstatic!
I will keep at it.
Really appreciate your input.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals