Stopping The Keto Diet

Yody

Hey all,

I've been running a keto diet since late November of 2018. I started lurking these forums a few months back and am finally interested in transitioning out of the ketogenic-diet-lifestyle. Most of you seem to be relatively sane, well rounded individuals and so I've come here to request some dietary advice.

I regularly eat 70-80% fat calories, 100-150g protein daily, and the rest carbs (30-100g) with a refeed day every 7-14 days where I will keep my protein sources lean and load up on the sweet potats! Mmmh, love me some charred sweet potats. I initially ran the first 6 months of keto as a strict 50g-carb-max, before adding in the occasional refeed day. On average, I eat 2200-4000 calories a day.

I'd much prefer to keep my fat macro percentage on the higher side, as I am indeed now sensitive to insulin, and can essentially switch to a fat burning mode relatively on-demand. I'm quite lean, 26 years old, 5'10.5" @ 173, and have been steady building overall muscle, although fat loss has seemingly come to a crawl after this summer. Keto has been instrumental in rounding out many of the nonsensical addictions I found myself thrown into, as food was the final and most primal epitome of addiction in my life -- and at this point I am far from afraid of any type of relapse, I'd just like to keep things optimal and relatively comfortable all-around going forward.

I can't seem to find any sound advise on transitioning out of keto. Is it the right idea to simply begin slowly incorporating more and more frequent carb-based refeeds, so that I may end up with a daily lean dinner featuring sweet potatoes, beans, and/or fruits? Am I just fearing that this is somehow harder than it is?

I much appreciate any sources or information which you may direct me toward. This is all just somewhat scary as keto has been so consoling for me in my endeavors. This has been the longest and most successful keto diet that I have ran, I've kept it very clean and proper this time around, and I was on board testing out these waters long before this diet became a popular fad!

Thank you in advance my brothers and sisters!
Yody

ExCarniv

You can split

3-1 carbs to protein
2-1 protein to fat

300g of carbs
120g of protein
60g of fats

You don't need more fat, to burn fat, quite opposite.

Tarmander

I probably differ in my take the most here, but loading up on carbs when you are doing well and building muscle on keto does not seem prudent. Muscle building, if you are for sure building lean tissue, says to me your cortisol levels are somewhat okay.

I think your plan to incorporate more refeeds overtime is smart. Just keep adding carbs until you start getting bad symptoms and then back off. My 2 cents

johnwester130

Mildronate - forces the body to burn sugar

Caffeine/aspirin/niacinamide/thiamin - also do the same as above

Hans

Forum Supporter
To go from fat burner to carb burner it might be best to take it slow. If you're eating about 50g of carbs now, then bump it to 100g for the next two weeks, then to 150g for the next two and then 200g, 250g, and so on.
Take it slow. You're still young so your body might adapt quickly and hopefully there isn't any damage done yet. As you up your carbs, then lower your fats a little.
Stick mainly to the carbs that you enjoy right now, such as sweet potatoes.
You can add some whole fruits or fruit juice to each starch meal as fructose helps to shuttle glucose into the cells and prevent high blood sugar. You can even take a baby aspirin to block excess lipolysis if you are too insulin resistant, and that will improve your insulin sensitivity.

tara

Just keep adding carbs until you start getting bad symptoms and then back off. My 2 cents
+1
To go from fat burner to carb burner it might be best to take it slow.
+1

Eat carby foods that mainly have all the other nutrition in them too, don't rely on too much highly refined stuff - the minerals are important too. I suspect there are benefits from variety. You cld try some milk and see if it agrees with you. Consider whether you are particularly low in any nutrients - eg calcium? and try incorporating foods that will help fill the gaps.

At least some carbs with every meal. Experiment with whether your body can use more of the carbs and protein at midday and maybe morning. Experiment to see what balance of starchy or sweet carby foods your body runs best on. If you are lucky, your tastes will guide you.

Some people seem to have suffered from trying to switch to loads of carbs very quickly, or from loads of refined stuff. Others seem to do OK with the change. Take it slow and observe - you are the one who will know most about what is working for you.

Last edited:

Momado965

Agreed with all suggestions above. I would suggest you used thyroid, pansterone or progrsterone when transitioning as base supplemts you can then add and customize your stack. These two supplements will take care of cortisol, prolactin, estrogen, serotonin and thus raise androgens and promote dopamine and oxidative metabolism (which is very important due to issues with isulin resistance). Very simple base stack any other customization will unfold as you progress. You might wanna add diamant or cypro or lisuride later on as you progress. It will depend on your state of being. Again, its a suggestion and I wish someone suggested I would use a base stafk of thuroid and pansterone/progesterone as it would have been much easier to limit weight gain and other issues.

Indicatrice

I think the reason you may have lasted so long on keto is that low percentage of carb intake doesn't mean much when the net number of consumed carbs was still somewhat high-ish.

OP
Yody

Yody

Hey all, here's an update:

I really appreciate all of the input and suggestions here. Sorry for the a delay on this; I've long been relatively anti-social and have basically been swamped with stress the past four years, repenting for many of the choices and paths I delved into throughout my teen years and early adulthood. I work an office job I started almost four years ago now, and keto was the first thing that ever allowed me to establish a sense of control over my addictions and other lifestyle-dependencies. Long story short I wasted 18-21 on east coast heroin and fentanyl analogues. 'Essentially ate like ***t my entire life, all the way back to the Similac days. Smoked cannabis daily from 14-25. 'First stepped foot in and fell in love with the gym in January 2016. 'Relapsed going through a bunch of Percocet when my grandfather died in late 2016, leading into an 11 month habit of trying to strategically balance the gym with codeine (codeine wins..) Finally jumped off of keto (after ~19 months) in the last week of May.

I've taken a liking to a half quart or more of daily goat milk, ripe-black bananas, ghee, coconut oil, berries, manuka, maple syrup, cinnamon, red onion, mushrooms, well cooked sweet potatoes and parsnips, asparagus, cauliflower, broccoli, cut way back on the garlic, and have implemented some use of preg, DHEA, andro, Tyronene, Tyromix, Diamant, LLLT, low dose niacinamide, aspirin, tocovit, TUDCA, daily topical D3 and K2; regular coffee with taurine (beta alanine at the opposite end of the clock,) collagen morning and night, 4 eggs a day, milk-protein based cereal, and sporadic use of ginseng, cordyceps, black seed oil, lions mane, saffron, rhodiola, shilajit, CBD, magnesium, agmatine, CDP choline, alpha-GPC, agmatine, and sulbutiamine. I also have oleuropein and schisandra coming in, and have been utilizing GABA-B agonists phenibut and baclofen to round out the edges. I had developed a chronic neck-shoulder pain from chest-back imbalance which was effecting the shoulder girdle. Regular PT for over three months now has helped, and more recently I've implemented a bunch of yin yoga which is speeding up the healing even more. Worth a mention that I was using kratom 2-3x a week, and phenibut 1-2x a week, as pre-workout all throughout late 2017 until November 2019, since then I've been using kratom daily to cope with the neck issue, and swapped the chronic-phenibut for the occasional Baclofen -- Feeling kind of stupid after realizing that the main manifestation of my life stress presented physically as unconsciously-self-inflicted neck pain, but now my eyes are open to all that and much more.

Long time lurker here, much respect to this forum, a lot of y'all are the real MVPs right now and the future is looking bright. My macros are currently about 40/40/20, some days a bit more fat or carbs depending on the flow of things. I'll be tapering off of the kratom now that I've finally got off keto, as I preferred not to deal with two physiologically intricate issues at once, and PT+yoga are driving the majority of healing and pain management. Once off kratom I'll aim for a washout period from the phenibut and baclofen, Feeling good and looking relatively shredded; I kept a close eye on the abdominal fat which seems to be about the same as when I quit keto, save for the presence of water weight and muscle glycogen.

Thank you all -- stay well!

Last edited: