Advice for helping my gf

toddy

I love my girlfriend so much and I badly want to help her (more like change the way she was now). She is an alcoholic who loves partying and recently she also became addicted to drugs. I always try to correct her but never listened to me. I am thinking of breaking up with her but I love her so much that I can't let her go. So yesterday is what I would love to call a "miracle", we had a good conversation, she ask me to help her with her problem and for the first time she wanted to quit and recover. I think this is the first step to rebuild her life. So i posted here, asking for an advice, if you know someone or some good place that could help her recover. I am busy browsing online looking for a rehab. Right now, I'm reading [admin edit] and I will try to inquire for a good program later. If you guys have any advices, feel free to tell me and help me support my girlfriend.

tara

First up, probably available very quickly - in some places there are meetings every day, AA and Narcotics Anonymous for your girlfriend, AlAnon for you.
And investigate whatever other resources/support are available in your area.
I'm not surprised 'correcting her' didn't help.

haidut

Forum Supporter
toddy said:
I love my girlfriend so much and I badly want to help her (more like change the way she was now). She is an alcoholic who loves partying and recently she also became addicted to drugs. I always try to correct her but never listened to me. I am thinking of breaking up with her but I love her so much that I can't let her go. So yesterday is what I would love to call a "miracle", we had a good conversation, she ask me to help her with her problem and for the first time she wanted to quit and recover. I think this is the first step to rebuild her life. So i posted here, asking for an advice, if you know someone or some good place that could help her recover. I am busy browsing online looking for a rehab. Right now, I'm reading Drug Abuse Rehabilitation Birmingham and I will try to inquire for a good program later. If you guys have any advices, feel free to tell me and help me support my girlfriend.

While you are looking for a rehab for her, try to get her to eat better. Anything that lower serotonin will reduce the cravings for alcohol. Drugs are something else entirely but as far as alcohol is concerned, I know people who got out of their "incurable" habit for alcohol in just a few short weeks taking drugs like ondansetron, cyproheptadine or simply increasing gelatin intake. Glycine (in gelatin) is given for alcoholism in Russia. Amino acids like theanine and taurine have also been shown (in animals) to reduce alcohol intake down to normal levels. Remember, drinking is an attempt to alleviate an energetic deficit in the brain. Serotonin, histamine, and ammonia are all known to cause such deficits in the brain, so anything that reduces them should lower the need for alcohol. Of course, depending on how long the drinking has been going on it may take couple of weeks/months to re-adapt the brain to a new energy source.
Finally, pregnenolone has been shown to reduce both heroin and cocaine abuse in humans. The mechanism is again altered brain energy metabolism that the pregnenolone restores.
Good luck to both of you!

BingDing

Dr. Broda Barnes said he never met an alcoholic who wasn't hypothyroid. Several people on this forum have posted that their desire for alcohol just disappeared after Peating for awhile.

I would be wary of any program that is informed by mainstream psychiatry and would not go near a program that uses psychiatric drugs of any kind.

haidut

Forum Supporter
BingDing said:
Dr. Broda Barnes said he never met an alcoholic who wasn't hypothyroid. Several people on this forum have posted that their desire for alcohol just disappeared after Peating for awhile.

I would be wary of any program that is informed by mainstream psychiatry and would not go near a program that uses psychiatric drugs of any kind.

Yeah, I did not want to discourage him before he checks with some rehabs first. However, most of them will attempt to withdraw her from alcohol and drugs cold turkey (since she will be under the supervision of a licensed "professional") and when that causes symptoms of "depression" they will almost certainly put her on some kind of SSRI. That will virtually ensure that she will "relapse" since serotonin will go up and makes her crave alcohol and drugs again. Of course, that will be explained as "normal" since 90% of addicts "relapse" within the first year. I agree that most people drinking are also hypothyroid, but fixing metabolism is a complex and time-consuming process as many people on this forum have leaned. My suggestion was to try a few simple tricks to get her to not crave alcohol and drugs, which at least will stop her from ruining her life. Then, the two of them can take on the journey of metabolic health, which as Barnes said, often means a long term thyroid supplement in addition to watching diet and stress levels.

Gl;itch.e

In addition to everything else the kind folk here have mentioned be careful that she isn't playing you. People can often feign desire to change if they sense they may lose your attention. If you had been giving any subtle indicators that you might be considering leaving her she could simply be extending a token of hope in order to get you to reinvest in her.

If at the end of the day the relationship is dragging you down physically and mentally its not worth it. I know this scenario all too well.

Do what you can for now but keep in mind that THEY have to want to change for THEMSELVES. Not for you. And not for anyone else.

Ben

Bad physiology is certainly a reason that she is consuming a lot of alcohol and drugs. With truly good physiology and high energy levels, alcohol and drugs would not be attractive to her.

But good physiology does not occur easily or quickly. More immediately, determine why she is partying in the first place. Such a strong desire for groundbreaking play usually stems from overexertion at work or in general.

If you correct her mental overexertion, whether it's work-related or "all-in-her-head", and she will feel good and relaxed without partying, and she will not desire it as much, or at all. I'm not sure how easily she can currently relax her mind, feel her body energy, etc, but it is a skillset that can be trained and it leads to better physiology. Boosting energy in general is good, but both tension-inducing work and disinhibited play are bad.

Aussiepopeye

It's interesting because women who suffer from PMDD- myself included- crave wine the 2 weeks before our period. I don't know why, clearly hormones are out of whack

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals