A 3rd Opinion - What does this blood test mean?

OP
Rinse & rePeat
"For physiology, the equivalent of medicine’s “first do no harm” would be “first, don’t believe unfounded doctrines.” Accepting that principle puts a person into a critical attitude, and experiments can become actually “empirical,” an extension of experience that allows you to perceive new things, rather than “testing hypotheses.” Unless a hypothesis is a generalization from real experience, rather than a deduction from a doctrine, progress is likely to be very slow. A first step in developing a critical attitude is to identify the idols that stand in the way of real understanding.

Immunity, intelligence, appetites, tumor growth, aging, the proper development of organs—everything that we think of as the biological foundations of health and sickness—will be misinterpreted if there are fundamental misconceptions about physiology." -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
"Perceptions that are clear and useful are the real revolutions in science, and the rest of it has to do with social and financial commitments.

Even in the short time since Kuhn wrote his book, the status of medicine has changed significantly, putting it right up with militarism and the energy industry as a source of political and economic power. The authoritarian monolith that has been known as the community of science has become increasingly (even in areas such as astronomy, where commercial interests aren't so crudely involved) a structure of cultural propaganda maintained by bullying and fraud. Since the "normal science" in these authoritarian settings is dedicated to evading the truth, it becomes almost a guide to where to look for the truth. It's sort of analogous to the "mystery" of why breast cancer mortality is lowest in the poorest part of the U.S., Appalachia, and highest in the richest regions: the medical industry goes where the money is, taking death with it. Science, like health, thrives on the neglect of the corrupt industry." -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
"Multiple myeloma is an uncommon cancer of the blood. The median length of survival after diagnosis with multiple myeloma is 62 months for Stage I, 44 months for Stage II, and 29 months for Stage III. Life expectancy depends on many factors, including the person's age, health, kidney function, and more."

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I have been eating artichoke hearts lately and getting positive results from them. I wrote to RP to find out if there was any downside to them, and was surprised to hear him say they have anti-cancer properties.

ME:
Hello again Dr. Peat!

I have been finding artichoke hearts to be of great value in keeping my digestion moving. I have them drizzled with a little olive oil and liquid coconut oil. I know the bitter aspect of them is in part why they have been effective, but I am also reading studies that they also have an antibiotic effect. Is there any downside to them that you know of?

RAY PEAT
"They have broad antibiotic and anticancer effects, I don’t know of any harm from them."

Attachments

• 20220225_214513.jpg
    20220225_214513.jpg
    309.1 KB · Views: 11
OP
Rinse & rePeat
"Around 1985, a big study in Hungary showed that lowering cholesterol with drugs caused a huge increase in the cancer death rate. Hundreds of publications appeared in the U.S. saying that wasn't possible, because low cholesterol is good, the lower the better. The extreme increase in cancer mortality in the Hungarian study was probably the result of the drug that was commonly used at that time to lower cholesterol, but the pattern of mortality in that study was approximately the same pattern seen in any group with very low cholesterol. In the last 20 years, there have been many studies showing that lowering cholesterol increases mortality, especially from cancer and suicide, and that people with naturally low cholesterol are more likely to die from cancer, suicide, trauma, and infections than people with normal or higher than average cholesterol." -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
ME to Ray Peat....

I bought this bone marrow collagen, and wondered if it is MORE beneficial than standard gelatin, do you know?

"Marrow contains little collagen, but lots of iron. Cartilage extract is good, but I don’t think it’s good to include marrow." Ray Peat

Attachments

• 20220302_122943.jpg
    20220302_122943.jpg
    288.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 20220302_122933.jpg
    20220302_122933.jpg
    353.1 KB · Views: 4
OP
Rinse & rePeat
"Artichokes might be one of the best foods in the market for acquiring vitamins and minerals like magnesium, phosphorus, and manganese. These minerals may be essential parts of increasing bone health and density, thereby reducing the chances of conditions like osteoporosis."

"Magnesium and manganese may be essential parts of the body’s metabolic processes and they are found in a significant amount in artichokes. Magnesium is an important part of protein synthesis throughout the body, as well as optimizing the intake of calcium by the body, further strengthening the bones. Manganese is slightly more involved than magnesium, and it impacts the metabolic rates of cholesterol, amino acids, and carbohydrates."

OP
Rinse & rePeat
"One day you will tell your story of how you overcame what you went through and it will be someone else's survival guide." -Brene Brown

Attachments

• Screensho(3).jpg
    Screensho(3).jpg
    356 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
OP
Rinse & rePeat
"infection contributes to death in a fifth of patients with myeloma1,2,4,5,6,7. The risk of infection is greatest in the first 3 months after diagnosis, with a third of patients suffering serious bacterial infection, and infection contributing to half of early mortality8,9,10. The most common causes of infection are encapsulated extracellular bacteria such as Streptococcus pneumoniae and Haemophilus influenza8."

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I have a friend who is at The City Of Hope right now recovering from an urgent surgery to remove a mass in his intestines, which caused him great back pain. He has been a patient there a few years back for throat cancer. I was surprised today to hear that he is on a ventilator. Here are some surprising things to know after one has been ventilated...

"Time on a ventilator can have lasting effects on a person’s mind and body for weeks and even months after leaving the hospital. This is called post-intensive care syndrome, and it can include physical weakness and cognitive dysfunction, sometimes called brain fog, marked by a loss of intellectual functions such as thinking, memory and reasoning. Patients with cognitive dysfunction have trouble recalling words, performing basic math and concentrating.

These thinking problems are caused by the medications needed to sedate patients while they are on the ventilators, Dr. Bice says.

There is also a high rate of PTSD in those patients and their caregivers. Symptoms include nightmares and unwanted memories about their stay in the ICU. About 35 percent have anxiety, and about 30 percent experience depression.

However, the extent of the side effects from being on a ventilator vary from person to person, and data on exactly how patients fare long term is limited."

"This much doctors know for sure: The longer you’re on a ventilator, the longer it will take for you to recover.

The rule of thumb is that we expect people won’t feel back to 100 percent for at least a week for every day they spend on a ventilator,” Dr. Bice says. “If you’re spending four to five days on a ventilator, we expect it’s going to be four to five weeks before you’re really feeling back to your normal self.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
"It is important to think about what matters most to you. What gives meaning to your life? Is there any condition that would not be acceptable to you? What would you be willing to try? It’s best to talk to your family and providers about your priorities and medical wishes in advance of a situation where you will need to make these kinds of decisions.

What happens if you decide that you wouldn’t want to be on a ventilator?

If you think that would choose not to have a ventilator, understand that your healthcare team would continue to care for you using noninvasive methods of delivering oxygen. They would use treatments for any distressing symptoms, and ensure you are as comfortable as possible."

OP
Rinse & rePeat
"The heart's unique behavior has given cardiologists a particularly mechanical perspective on biology. If a cardiologist and an oncologist have anything to talk about, it's likely to be about why cancer treatments cause heart failure; a cardiologist and an endocrinologist might share an interest in "cardioprotective estrogen" and "cardiotoxic obesity." Cell physiology and bioenergetics aren't likely to be their common interest. Each specialty has its close involvement with the pharmaceutical industry, shaping its thinking." -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“It is very likely that cancer patients lack carbon dioxide, because tumors produce significant amounts of lactic acid, which tends to displace carbon dioxide. It would be interesting to see whether supplemented carbon dioxide would decrease the cancer’s production of lactic acid. Short-chain fats are very soluble, and are quickly metabolized, so it is likely that coconut oil, which is rich in short and medium-chain fatty acids, will tend to decrease the production of lactic acid.” Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
In this video, linked below, Ray Peat talks about the oil industry, particularly the cottonseed oil industry, starting the cholesterol myth.

"Things that lower cholesterol generally cause cancer and other degenerative diseases." -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Ray Peat on bone necrosis from x-rays.....

"The x-ray fiest destroys the vitamin A and E and vitamin B2. The things that are light sensitive are the first to be destroyed, by even low dose x-ray or ultraviolet light, and these essential growth factors, regulatory factors are destroyed in the bone because the x-ray penetrates well even into the bone." -Ray Peat

"Avascular necrosis is bone death that occurs when the blood supply to the bones is decreased or stopped. Without an adequate blood supply, the bone breaks down and dies and collapses. If the bone affected is near a joint, the joint may also collapse. Although any bone can be affected, avascular necrosis most often affects ends of the long bones, such as the upper leg bone at the hip.

Avascular necrosis is also called osteonecrosis, aseptic necrosis, or ischemic bone necrosis."

"Symptoms include mild to moderate hip or groin pain, decreased hip movement, and a limp. Pain may be sudden and become worse with standing or walking. Rest usually relieves the pain. Avascular necrosis occurs most often in men between 40 and 50 years old."

"Long-term use of corticosteroids or drinking a large amount of alcohol over a long time increases the risk of avascular necrosis."

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Here is what RP said about his cancer, in an e-mail to me....

"My wheat germ experience related to decalcifying my teeth; at the time, in Mexico City, is was hard to get good milk.
It was my father who cured his extreme diabetes with a pure brewer’s yeast (high in phosphate) diet for a couple of weeks. When I was in my 40s a doctor friend mentioned (it was summer and I had my shirt off; I stopped consulting doctors at an early age) that one of my moles looked like melanoma; I found that correcting my hormones corrected that one; another doctor a few years later warned me about one on my arm, and adjusting hormones again eliminated it; every few years a mole would start growing and changing quickly, and they always disappeared with more thyroid, etc. It took me a long time to figure out the role of phosphate in cancer." -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
In this interview linked below, RP talks about Russian scientist studies on learned helplessness and the nervous system controlling sickness. He says it like how "the doctor tells a person that they have an incurable disease and they pretty soon die." He says this is when insight becomes a life saving matter.

I have a girlfriend who was diagnosed with stage 4 breast AND bone cancer and was given 6 months to live. She was upset that the doctor would say such hopeless words and decided to get a second opinion at The City Of Hope. Her new doctor thought it was terrible for her first doctor to have said that to her and told her she has several years to live, and with those words of hope my girlfriend just had her 2 year anniversary from her first diagnoses!

Philomath

Here is what RP said about his cancer, in an e-mail to me....

"My wheat germ experience related to decalcifying my teeth; at the time, in Mexico City, is was hard to get good milk.
It was my father who cured his extreme diabetes with a pure brewer’s yeast (high in phosphate) diet for a couple of weeks. When I was in my 40s a doctor friend mentioned (it was summer and I had my shirt off; I stopped consulting doctors at an early age) that one of my moles looked like melanoma; I found that correcting my hormones corrected that one; another doctor a few years later warned me about one on my arm, and adjusting hormones again eliminated it; every few years a mole would start growing and changing quickly, and they always disappeared with more thyroid, etc. It took me a long time to figure out the role of phosphate in cancer." -Ray Peat
We’re you able to ask him if fermented wheat germ was any better?

OP
Rinse & rePeat
We’re you able to ask him if fermented wheat germ was any better?

Rinse & rePeat:
"On the wheat germ subject, is fermented wheat germ any better?:

RAY PEAT:
"It has the same amount of phosphate, but some of the allergens might have been reduced."

He also sent me this study a couple if weeks ago.....

"Wheat Bran Diet Reduces Tumor Incidence in a Rat Model of Colon Cancer Independent of Effects on Distal Luminal Butyrate Concentrations
Debra L. Zoran, Nancy D. Turner, Stella S. Taddeo, Robert S. Chapkin, Joanne R. Lupton
The Journal of Nutrition, Volume 127, Issue 11, November 1997, Pages 2217–2225, Wheat Bran Diet Reduces Tumor Incidence in a Rat Model of Colon Cancer Independent of Effects on Distal Luminal Butyrate Concentrations
Abstract
To investigate the effects of dietary fibers in colonic luminal physiology and their role in the prevention of colon cancer, a study was conducted using two diet groups and two treatment groups in a 2 × 2 factorial design. The two diets differed only in the type of dietary fiber, wheat bran and oat bran, and the two treatments were injection with the colon-specific carcinogen azoxymethane, or saline, as a control. There were 34 rats in the carcinogen-injected groups and 11 saline-injected rats per diet group. The goal of the study was to determine if a moderate consumption (6 g/100 g diet) of wheat bran or oat bran would alter the development of colonic tumors in this rat model of colon cancer, and if the differences in tumor incidence were correlated to luminal butyrate concentrations, luminal pH or fecal bulk. Short-chain fatty acid concentrations (SCFA) were measured in feces during the first half of the study (the promotion phase of tumor development) and again at the end of the study. Rats consuming oat bran had greater body weights (P< 0.002), produced much larger concentrations of all SCFA, including butyrate, in both the proximal and distal colon (P< 0.0001), had more acidic luminal pH values (P< 0.0001), but also had significantly more development of colon tumors (P< 0.03). Alternatively, rats consuming wheat bran produced more typical molar ratios of the SCFA (65:10:20), had a relatively greater concentration of butyrate than propionate, and produced a larger volume (P< 0.05) and more bulky stool than the rats fed oat bran. The results of this study support other evidence that an acidic luminal pH is not protective in and of itself, and that diets containing wheat bran are protective against colon cancer development. In addition, these data show that large luminal butyrate concentrations in the distal colon alone, as were present in the rats consuming oat bran diets, are not protective of tumor development."

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals