SCIATIC "Nerve Flossing"

Sciatica is unbearable! I have experienced it, and it sent me, and others I know, racing to the hospital, with noises that can be mistaken for childbirth.

A little over two weeks ago my husband fractured his spine, and the pain has had him in a recliner day and night. When his leg started hurting I knew disaster was not far away. Despite my pleading and warning to get up and move around more, disaster came, with the pain in his leg worse than the fracture. At one point yesterday he couldn't walk. I was beside myself with upset, that a bad situation had gone from bad to worse, and expressed my frustration by saying, "What's next adult diapers cause you can't walk?" At that point he agreed to do some of the things I had been suggested, that were too scary of a thought before.

With him ready to head to the hospital for some relief, I set out to find a way to avoid that hot mess scenerio. After reading so much of the same advice, on the internet, that hadn't been working, with heat and ice and more sitting around "bed rest", I ran across the curious term "nerve flossing". The video I posting below is a simple exercise that worked! We only did it once for only a few minutes, but immediately afterward his pain was gone. We were astounded! What a jewel to put in my bag of tricks!

View: https://youtu.be/aFKwNffX8zw

Jon2547

Thank you! I will start practicing this straightaway.

It was this time last year that I was stricken with sciatica. I had it for five to six weeks. Constant tossing and turning at night because no position was comfortable.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Thank you! I will start practicing this straightaway.

It was this time last year that I was stricken with sciatica. I had it for five to six weeks. Constant tossing and turning at night because no position was comfortable.

I had to post this straight away because it will be a game changer for many!

Birdie

❤️

AlaskaJono

Interesting. I did something similar last year when I had bad sciatica. Bad **** As in Pain Levels 11/10 for months and months. Sciatic pain can be caused by a bulged disc or hypertonic piriformis (and possibly other muscles in the upper hip/buttock) and sitting and lying down can make it worse. Where is his fracture specifically? L4/L5?

I am not sure regarding the fractured bone aspect of hubby's situation but for my situation traction helped. I rented a traction bed for month, but it caused too much pain. So I set up a pull up bar that I could "hang from" with one hand gripping the bar and then Mostly weight supported 60-80% from my feet or one foot. This was a critical component for my Daily regime; also cat/cow movement (on hands and knees), walking daily or 2x daily with sticks, pain meds (from a DR) when needed, aspirin, DMSO on affected lower back and hips, Magnesium oil, Homeopathic Mag phos 6x, Voltaren cream when needed, acupuncture and chiropractic when needed. My whole body / spine would contort around the pain so it helped to get straightened out every 3 weeks or so. (Any or all of the above).

I did try hemp oil with little or no THC and it did nothing for me. As you are in the USA you may be able to get a variety of oils and salves with varying strengths. Marijuana is one of the best smooth muscle relaxants on the planet, and a great muscle relaxant overall. IF this helps then diagnostically one may draw a conclusion that muscle spasm/hypertonicity is causing the pain.

Anyhow, see how you go with the above or other remedies. Cheers.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Interesting. I did something similar last year when I had bad sciatica. Bad **** As in Pain Levels 11/10 for months and months. Sciatic pain can be caused by a bulged disc or hypertonic piriformis (and possibly other muscles in the upper hip/buttock) and sitting and lying down can make it worse. Where is his fracture specifically? L4/L5?

I am not sure regarding the fractured bone aspect of hubby's situation but for my situation traction helped. I rented a traction bed for month, but it caused too much pain. So I set up a pull up bar that I could "hang from" with one hand gripping the bar and then Mostly weight supported 60-80% from my feet or one foot. This was a critical component for my Daily regime; also cat/cow movement (on hands and knees), walking daily or 2x daily with sticks, pain meds (from a DR) when needed, aspirin, DMSO on affected lower back and hips, Magnesium oil, Homeopathic Mag phos 6x, Voltaren cream when needed, acupuncture and chiropractic when needed. My whole body / spine would contort around the pain so it helped to get straightened out every 3 weeks or so. (Any or all of the above).

I did try hemp oil with little or no THC and it did nothing for me. As you are in the USA you may be able to get a variety of oils and salves with varying strengths. Marijuana is one of the best smooth muscle relaxants on the planet, and a great muscle relaxant overall. IF this helps then diagnostically one may draw a conclusion that muscle spasm/hypertonicity is causing the pain.

Anyhow, see how you go with the above or other remedies. Cheers.
This is really good information Alaska! He has old fracture from a golf game in June that he thought was a pulled muscle and didn't rest and that one is L2 and he has the newest one in L4. He is on painkillers and a weak muscle relaxer and is changing his meds today for Tylenol 3 with codeine and a different muscle relaxer. I started him on aspirin the last couple of days and turmeric. I am doing topical magnesium and a liquid calcium magnesium with D3. Cannabis creams do not work on him. We tried them late last year topical and mouth spray, they depressed him terribly. Haven't tried DMSO or Voltaren cream, but Tiger Balm has been helpful as well as bag breathing. His biggest obstacle is he is too uncomfortable in be in a bed flat so he in the recliner, and it is exacerbating the situation, not getting off his spine. So now a hospital bed is being delivered tomorrow and hopefully that will improve his positions. We just did his sciatic needle flossing and I told him I am gonna find some other physical therapy moves to add in, so I am gonna look up the ones you did and suggested. Thank again!

AlaskaJono

No worries... yes I get it, he is not comfortable in any position... . Voltaren (Diclofenac) is probably nasty, so I used it sparingly, but it did help topically and relieved pain just a bit. The DMSO can be used to bring a rush of new blood and energy to the area. Some professional athletes have used it for serious injuries to speed up healing. Works for burns too! Once or 2X day.

Terrain doctors sometimes use kerosene for the same thing, but it really stinks bad, so I didn't use it even though it is much cheaper here in Australia than dmso.
Just do enough meds to deal with it, and sleep, and all of the more natural elements (less toxic at least!) use daily. He is" in the wars" as the Brits say.
Stay in there mate! **Codiene will bung you up (constipate) so be prepared with more roughage or what have you.

OP
Rinse & rePeat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
No worries... yes I get it, he is not comfortable in any position... . Voltaren (Diclofenac) is probably nasty, so I used it sparingly, but it did help topically and relieved pain just a bit. The DMSO can be used to bring a rush of new blood and energy to the area. Some professional athletes have used it for serious injuries to speed up healing. Works for burns too! Once or 2X day.

Terrain doctors sometimes use kerosene for the same thing, but it really stinks bad, so I didn't use it even though it is much cheaper here in Australia than dmso.
Just do enough meds to deal with it, and sleep, and all of the more natural elements (less toxic at least!) use daily. He is" in the wars" as the Brits say.
Stay in there mate! **Codiene will bung you up (constipate) so be prepared with more roughage or what have you.

Reading this to him made him smile Jono!

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Wow thanks for sharing. This works pretty well. I'll probably do it regulary just because it is so easy to do almost anywhere.

It seems to good to be true doesn't it? I am so happy to hear it helped another suffering terribly with this painful condition. Thanks for weighing in Ben!

bogbody

I am currently dealing with some mild sciatica and I wanted to add that I’m pretty sure I remember Ray also mentioning on a podcast that sciatica can be caused by constipation, especially if it’s on the left side because the colon pushes on the nerve. I am dealing with both issues and trying to see if that helps.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I am currently dealing with some mild sciatica and I wanted to add that I’m pretty sure I remember Ray also mentioning on a podcast that sciatica can be caused by constipation, especially if it’s on the left side because the colon pushes on the nerve. I am dealing with both issues and trying to see if that helps.

Thank you so much for sharing this info bogbody, it totally makes sense. Are you using RP recommended casacara? Did an event bring on your sciatica?

bogbody

Thank you so much for sharing this info bogbody, it totally makes sense. Are you using RP recommended casacara? Did an event bring on your sciatica?
yea cascara really helps. not sure what brought it on honestly. it’s very mild but it’s a new thing for me. seems to come and go.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
yea cascara really helps. not sure what brought it on honestly. it’s very mild but it’s a new thing for me. seems to come and go.
I had it once when my son was about a year old. The chiropractor said it was from carrying him on the same side, and to switch sides and it would resolve and she was right. So painful!

aliml

According to traditional chinese medicine, sciatica is a disorder of the gallbladder meridian.

Poor bile motility will slow down the peristaltic action of the intestines resulting in constipation.

Cascara has cholagogue and choleretic effects. Cholagogues stimulate gallbladder contraction to promote bile flow, whereas choleretics increase bile secretion by the liver. Both increase in intestinal peristalsis so they can be useful as a laxative.

I think, other plants with cholagogue and choleretic effects may also help treat sciatica!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals