A 3rd Opinion - What does this blood test mean?

Birdie

Wow, have you encountered poison ivy recently? I have been allergic to it since I can remember. I remember waiting for the school bus looking at the poison ivy and thinking about the story I heard where if you eat a leaf you won’t be allergic to it anymore. But I never tried it. Maybe that story came from people using Rhus tox.
Maybe it did. I'm sure if I'd tried it, I'd have gotten rash and swelling all the way down. But maybe one could make their own homeopathic remedy. It's be a lot of work!

I haven't been around poison ivy recently. Wonder if Rhus tox's still working in my case.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Aliml posted in another thread some interesting and valuable information that someone with myeloma or kidney problems could benefit from...

"In traditional Chinese medicine, the ears are connected to the kidneys, so any ear problem is a signal from your body that the kidneys needs extra support.

Renally excreted drugs, including Aspirin, can affect kidney function, but Glycine can reduce its side effects."

OP
Rinse & rePeat

"Free radicals and inflammation are both linked to the development of cancer. This means that burdock’s role as an antioxidant anti-inflammatory might help to prevent cancer. Preliminary research also supports the notion that burdock can help slow the growth of cancer. A 2016 study found that burdock might slow the growth of breast cancer tumors."​

OP
Rinse & rePeat
"Neulasta helps the body make more white blood cells by stimulating the immune system, which also creates histamines. So your doctor also may recommend an antihistamine such as Claritin (chemical name: loratadine) – NOT Claritin-D – to ease bone pain caused by Neulasta."

OP
Rinse & rePeat
"After decades of “education” to promote eating starchy foods, obesity is a bigger problem than ever, and more people are dying of diabetes than previously. The age-specific incidence of most cancers is increasing, too, and there is evidence that starch, such as pasta, contributes to breast cancer, and possibly other types of cancer." -Ray Peat

yerrag

"After decades of “education” to promote eating starchy foods, obesity is a bigger problem than ever, and more people are dying of diabetes than previously. The age-specific incidence of most cancers is increasing, too, and there is evidence that starch, such as pasta, contributes to breast cancer, and possibly other types of cancer." -Ray Peat
Ray always leaves us to interpret such vague statements of his. Yet does he swear off starch, when he promotes nixtamalized corn? And does he recommend just eating plain sugar over starch? And when he says starch contributes to cancer, how much is that contribution? He does not say. How much should we take such statements at face value?

Ray can't offer people any guidelines on how to stop getting obese when people with poor metabolism become obese from taking a lot of sugar in their diet. People like Cirion.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Ray always leaves us to interpret such vague statements of his. Yet does he swear off starch, when he promotes nixtamalized corn? And does he recommend just eating plain sugar over starch? And when he says starch contributes to cancer, how much is that contribution? He does not say. How much should we take such statements at face value?

Ray can't offer people any guidelines on how to stop getting obese when people with poor metabolism become obese from taking a lot of sugar in their diet. People like Cirion.
I think because "one size does not fit all" RP is leary to be responsible for people's health. He tells the story and leaves one to decide for themselves. Some people can afford to eat fried masa chips and some people can't. To say shrimp is healthy for all would be ludicrous, but to say shrimp has optimal nutrients is a truth, but not one that every can take advantage of.

yerrag

I think because "one size does not fit all" RP is leary to be responsible for people's health. He tells the story and leaves one to decide for themselves. Some people can afford to eat fried masa chips and some people can't. To say shrimp is healthy for all would be ludicrous, but to say shrimp has optimal nutrients is a truth, but not one that every can take advantage of.
Yes, it is up to us to apply his ideas that is specific to our context.

Birdie

I see it that way too. And, from the beginning, when he said sugar, because of my background, I read that as fruit. And I've noticed that he warns not all fruits are equal. For example, it stuck in my mind that Ray pointed out bananas were highly industrialized. So, for that reason, I don't eat lots and lots of bananas. I've never taken things like the banana caution to mean I will never eat a banana.

We don't eat shrimp anymore because we don't have a safe source. But maybe somebody else does. Like you say, not everyone can take advantage.

Maybe he does mean white sugar, but I've seen places where he said that white (table) sugar was just for emergencies. Btw, I use a lot of it. I use brown sometimes too even though from Ray I know it's got... what...Iron in it. He doesn't recommend brown sugar but I use it. I don't fool myself that it's better than white though.

A lot of nuances.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I see it that way too. And, from the beginning, when he said sugar, because of my background, I read that as fruit. And I've noticed that he warns not all fruits are equal. For example, it stuck in my mind that Ray pointed out bananas were highly industrialized. So, for that reason, I don't eat lots and lots of bananas. I've never taken things like the banana caution to mean I will never eat a banana.

We don't eat shrimp anymore because we don't have a safe source. But maybe somebody else does. Like you say, not everyone can take advantage.

Maybe he does mean white sugar, but I've seen places where he said that white (table) sugar was just for emergencies. Btw, I use a lot of it. I use brown sometimes too even though from Ray I know it's got... what...Iron in it. He doesn't recommend brown sugar but I use it. I don't fool myself that it's better than white though.

A lot of nuances.
The only reason RP doesn't recommend white sugar is because there is more nutrition to be had in other sugar sources, not because sugar is bad. White sugar is certainly better than having blood sugar crashes eating a low carb diet. I stray from the RP path here and there, and more often lately, but I feel best staying on the straight and narrow. I am starting to think with all the weird stuff in our food supply, and especially eating out, that a big pile of PUFA laden french fries or onion rings is starting to be the better choices now. Heck with what is the "safest" food recommended by RP, our food need to be cooked till nothing can crawl out of it. Sugar is looking pretty clean to me. So I understand why you don't partake in shrimp, I think I'll join you.

Birdie

The only reason RP doesn't recommend white sugar is because there is more nutrition to be had in other sugar sources, not because sugar is bad. White sugar is certainly better than having blood sugar crashes eating a low carb diet. I stray from the RP path here and there, and more often lately, but I feel best staying on the straight and narrow. I am starting to think with all the weird stuff in our food supply, and especially eating out, that a big pile of PUFA laden french fries or onion rings is starting to be the better choices now. Heck with what is the "safest" food recommended by RP, our food need to be cooked till nothing can crawl out of it. Sugar is looking pretty clean to me. So I understand why you don't partake in shrimp, I think I'll join you.
Yes, we almost never eat out. But all the cooking takes up a lot of our day. At our ages it's unbelievable. And our friends can't understand why we are so busy. Oh well huh.

I use a lot of white sugar in my coffee now. I used to have my lattes without and had to start with only 1/4 teaspoon of sugar. Developing the taste for it took months.
It's too bad about the shrimp. :cool:

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Yes, we almost never eat out. But all the cooking takes up a lot of our day. At our ages it's unbelievable. And our friends can't understand why we are so busy. Oh well huh.

I use a lot of white sugar in my coffee now. I used to have my lattes without and had to start with only 1/4 teaspoon of sugar. Developing the taste for it took months.
It's too bad about the shrimp. :cool:
That was me too. I liked my coffee without sugar, so it took me some time to get use to sugar in my coffee, but what a difference in how I feel with it, much better. My friends can't understand why I don't like restaurants, they think it's a treat

Dolomite

Forum Supporter
Maybe it did. I'm sure if I'd tried it, I'd have gotten rash and swelling all the way down. But maybe one could make their own homeopathic remedy. It's be a lot of work!

I haven't been around poison ivy recently. Wonder if Rhus tox's still working in my case.
I used some kind of pill that was supposed to prevent reactions to poison ivy when I worked in the field. As I was taking it I noticed patches of inflammation come up where I had previously had bad rashes. It was if I had some antibodies forming to poison ivy that were finding previous spots to attack. I don't have to be out in the field like that now so I just avoid the plant. I need to read up on the Rhus tox.

Dolomite

Forum Supporter
I think the old recommendation for travel to Mexico where they said to not eat anything raw or drink the water was good advice when you are not sure of the preparation of food anywhere. So many raw fruits and vegetables are involved in food poisoning events. And the ones we hear of on the news are only the ones that involved enough people who complained.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I think the old recommendation for travel to Mexico where they said to not eat anything raw or drink the water was good advice when you are not sure of the preparation of food anywhere. So many raw fruits and vegetables are involved in food poisoning events. And the ones we hear of on the news are only the ones that involved enough people who complained.
My dad got Montazuma's Revenge in Mexico in his his late 30's/early 40's and it ruined his gut for the rest of his life. Considering Ray Peat says vegetables and grains are "animal food" and, that if we decide to eat it, to cook it well is good good advice too. I don't know how "raw vegans" are going to avoid the super bugs that are gaining strength. If only bleach kills C. diff how are gonna wash it off lettuce?

OP
Rinse & rePeat
While we Ray "Peater's" are all blocking iron, those with blood cancers and real anemia are needing to up their iron. Meat sources aren't always appetizing for many, especially liver, but I did find a couple of vegetarian sources that really pack a punch of iron, with the molasses having 25% for one tablespoon and this Brewer's yeast brand having 70% in just two tablespoons!

Attachments

• 20220211_081741.jpg
    20220211_081741.jpg
    299.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 20220211_081805.jpg
    20220211_081805.jpg
    498.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 20220211_081812.jpg
    20220211_081812.jpg
    253.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 20220211_081829.jpg
    20220211_081829.jpg
    323.5 KB · Views: 6
OP
Rinse & rePeat
"When cancers are metastasizing, their phospholipids contain less stearic acid than the less malignant tumors (Bougnoux, et al., 1992), patients with advanced cancer had less stearic acid in their red blood cells (Persad, et al., 1990), and adding stearic acid to their food delayed the development of cancer in mice (Bennett, 1984). The degree of saturation of the body's fatty acids corresponds to resistance to several types of cancer that have been studied (Hawley and Gordon, 1976; Singh, et al., 1995)." -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
"Various stresses can cause cells to dedifferentiate, but hypoxia is probably a common denominator. In the absence of estrogen, hypoxia can activate the "estrogen receptor." Estrogen is in some situations a hormone of dedifferentiation, facilitating the formation of new cells in stressed tissues, as aromatase is induced. However, the presence of polyunsaturated fats, tending to increase in concentration with age, causes the processes of renewal to produce exaggerated inflammation, with prostaglandins participating in the processes of development and differentiation. Estrogen, by increasing the concentration of free fatty acids, especially polyunsaturated fatty acids, contributes to the metabolic shift away from glucose oxidation, toward the formation of lactic acid, and away from the full organ-specific differentiation.

This perspective puts heart failure, cancer, and the other degenerative diseases onto the same biological basis, and shows why certain conditions and therapies can be appropriate for all of them." -Ray Peat

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals