4-6 Hours Max - Why?

OP
D

DBCoast

LOL I don’t know why I said timer. I meant an alarm. Oy. I suppose getting baked might help with insomnia. Hehe. I’m still looking for the quote—I have 41 pages worth to go through—but yes to cheese (or milk or ice cream) and salted OJ. I keep coming across quotes where Ray recommended salt and milk with honey or ice cream for insomnia.
Ha! Yes, getting baked would probably work. I don’t know, I think my baked days might be behind me. Though I wish I lived in a legal state to get some sleep-specific indica. I’ve tried CBD, CBN with mixed results. I’m pretty sure the tincture I was getting from the hemp dispensary near me had some THC in it. It helped a little.

I also heard that THC-induced sleep isn’t restorative. But honestly, anything would be more restorative than what I’m getting currently.

Jennifer

Ha! Yes, getting baked would probably work. I don’t know, I think my baked days might be behind me. Though I wish I lived in a legal state to get some sleep-specific indica. I’ve tried CBD, CBN with mixed results. I’m pretty sure the tincture I was getting from the hemp dispensary near me had some THC in it. It helped a little.

I also heard that THC-induced sleep isn’t restorative. But honestly, anything would be more restorative than what I’m getting currently.

Haha! No need to get baked. If the alarm trick doesn’t work, there is alway thyroid. :thumbsup:

Jennifer

I just came across this while searching for the alarm quote:

“Ray said this in an email to me. Context was insomnia though.

Ray: Milk with sugar or honey (about an ounce in a glass) at bedtime would help to get to sleep, and reduce the night stress. Blood sugar falls at night, too low if your thyroid is deficient, and is compensated by the stress hormones.”

frannybananny

I have suffered with insomnia for years and have finally settled on some supplements that help me to sleep and stay asleep. I take Milk Thistle, Magnesium Taurate, sometimes Olive Leaf Extract, sometimes half of a 300mcg Melatonin, tart Cherry, 3 ibuprofen, even Vit D makes me very sleepy.... and most important for me Progesterone.... I use it topically. All of these I take at least an hour before bed.

Some one said a glycine deficiency will make one wake up in the night and not go back to sleep but taking glycine makes me restless with many dreams.

Jennifer

How is your digestion, @DBCoast?

Ray said this:

“Histamine and serotonin promote wakefulness, and cyproheptadine blocks those, but its other effects aren’t very pleasant. Have you tried diphenhydramine? Endotoxin from intestinal bacteria increases histamine and serotonin; poor digestion is probably the most common cause of insomnia. Avoiding starches is often helpful. Small amounts of some excipients in supplements, and allergens in some foods, can increase the nighttime absorption of endotoxin. The antimicrobial/antiinflammatory effects of cascara can improve sleep; an antibiotic such as tetracycline can reduce the intestinal inflammation.”

Jennifer

Another quote on sleep:

"Since I had become a sound sleeper as soon as I began taking thyroid, and had seen that thyroid alone could cure most people's insomnia (sometimes as one doctor described "better than morphine") I began to understand that the adrenaline which disturbed sleep was an indicator of defective energy production and that the things which restored sleep- thyroid, salt, sugar, protein and progesterone, for example were acting directly on the cells energy production." Ray Peat

Bliss

Thanks, Bliss. I’ve tried some salt, milk, honey before bed, but no luck. Tried ice cream too.

What’s TUDCA?

I don’t know the state of my liver, but I was low carb then high fat Weston Price style diet for a while. Maybe too much fat?
The salt/sugar is to eat during the night, if you wake up before you’re done with sleeping. It should reduce the 3hrs before you can fall asleep again. You could also try aspirin at the same time. Both should increase the time and quality you sleep once you get back to sleep. You want very easily absorbed calories since any activation of digestion will probably delay falling asleep again. One thing that helped me in that situation in the past was a dropper full of passion flower tincture (reduced back-to-sleep time from ~3hrs down to 45mins), but I don’t think it’s ideal so I would try the other stuff first.

TUDCA is a water-soluble bile salt, it’s supposed to improve liver function- I never had my liver scanned or anything, just going by symptoms. Waking up in the night with high stress symptoms is probably a sign that the liver is not storing sufficient glycogen. Stress (including doing low carb) is sufficient to impair liver function.

OP
D

DBCoast

Ray said this:

“Histamine and serotonin promote wakefulness, and cyproheptadine blocks those, but its other effects aren’t very pleasant. Have you tried diphenhydramine? Endotoxin from intestinal bacteria increases histamine and serotonin; poor digestion is probably the most common cause of insomnia. Avoiding starches is often helpful. Small amounts of some excipients in supplements, and allergens in some foods, can increase the nighttime absorption of endotoxin. The antimicrobial/antiinflammatory effects of cascara can improve sleep; an antibiotic such as tetracycline can reduce the intestinal inflammation.”

Honestly, not the best. In the mornings, sometimes food seems to run right through me and produces diarrhea. Not every day, but often enough. Also, I don’t feel like I’m getting full elimination when I do go. So overall, could be better. I do the carrot around 4X per week.

OP
D

DBCoast

The salt/sugar is to eat during the night, if you wake up before you’re done with sleeping. It should reduce the 3hrs before you can fall asleep again. You could also try aspirin at the same time. Both should increase the time and quality you sleep once you get back to sleep. You want very easily absorbed calories since any activation of digestion will probably delay falling asleep again. One thing that helped me in that situation in the past was a dropper full of passion flower tincture (reduced back-to-sleep time from ~3hrs down to 45mins), but I don’t think it’s ideal so I would try the other stuff first.

TUDCA is a water-soluble bile salt, it’s supposed to improve liver function- I never had my liver scanned or anything, just going by symptoms. Waking up in the night with high stress symptoms is probably a sign that the liver is not storing sufficient glycogen. Stress (including doing low carb) is sufficient to impair liver function.
Ok, thanks. I’ll keep some next to me so I won’t have to get up.

I’ve noticed that when I take an NSAID like Advil it can help me sleep/relax a little more. Is that because it reduces inflammation? Would the aspirin be better?

Bliss

Ok, thanks. I’ll keep some next to me so I won’t have to get up.

I’ve noticed that when I take an NSAID like Advil it can help me sleep/relax a little more. Is that because it reduces inflammation? Would the aspirin be better?
Aspirin is generally preferred to other NSAIDs on here, for the broad spectrum of beneficial effects. I find the effect doesn’t last the whole night if I take it before bed so I tend to save it for the middle of the night if necessary.

frannybananny

TUDCA is best taken during the day after a meal to improve/speed digestion. It is very invigorating and kind of makes me hyper. Best not to take it right before bed IMHO.

Bliss

TUDCA is best taken during the day after a meal to improve/speed digestion. It is very invigorating and kind of makes me hyper. Best not to take it right before bed IMHO.
Yes, strategies to improve liver health are long-term, not an acute solution.

LadyRae

Ray said this:

@DBCoast I think endotoxin/seratonin is behind the 6 hour wake-up... Obviously you have received many many ideas here so I will just throw in what is worked for me. I've struggled with the exact same wake up after 6 hours exactly.....

I've been taking a TBSP of activated charcoal powder stirred into some hot water. I drink it down, stirring offen, adding more water slowly so that you don't get a puff of black powder in your face... About 20 minutes after this hot, black concoction, I fall back to sleep for 2-3 hours.

My sleep is loads better in my follicular phase, and deteriorates somewhat after ovulation, so I concur with others above that sleep really is also a hormonal issue.

Jennifer

@DBCoast, this isn’t the exact quote I was referring to, but it’s essentially the same:

“I have known people who woke up every hour or two during the night with nightmares. When they set an alarm clock to wake them a few minutes before the expected nightmare, to eat a small snack, after just a few days the nightmares stopped, and they were able to sleep through the night, apparently because they had replenished the glycogen stores of their liver, muscles, and brain, preventing hypoglycemia.” -Ray Peat

OP
D

DBCoast

@DBCoast I think endotoxin/seratonin is behind the 6 hour wake-up... Obviously you have received many many ideas here so I will just throw in what is worked for me. I've struggled with the exact same wake up after 6 hours exactly.....

I've been taking a TBSP of activated charcoal powder stirred into some hot water. I drink it down, stirring offen, adding more water slowly so that you don't get a puff of black powder in your face... About 20 minutes after this hot, black concoction, I fall back to sleep for 2-3 hours.

My sleep is loads better in my follicular phase, and deteriorates somewhat after ovulation, so I concur with others above that sleep really is also a hormonal issue.
Thanks, @LadyRae! I believe I actually have some activated charcoal in the cabinet. So it clears out the endotoxin?

OP
D

DBCoast

@DBCoast, this isn’t the exact quote I was referring to, but it’s essentially the same:

“I have known people who woke up every hour or two during the night with nightmares. When they set an alarm clock to wake them a few minutes before the expected nightmare, to eat a small snack, after just a few days the nightmares stopped, and they were able to sleep through the night, apparently because they had replenished the glycogen stores of their liver, muscles, and brain, preventing hypoglycemia.” -Ray Peat
Awesome. I will try it. I don’t have anything to lose!

LadyRae

Thanks, @LadyRae! I believe I actually have some activated charcoal in the cabinet. So it clears out the endotoxin?
Yes, activated charcoal is great for relieving endotoxin. I like taking it far away from any foods though because otherwise I think it can get constipating. It's really amazing how calm and relaxed I feel about 20 minutes after I take it.

For what it's worth, I have tried all of the sugar and salty orange juice and milk and whatever to get back to sleep and none of that ever worked for me... In fact eating or drinking anything that's very caloric tends to wake me up for good for the day.... However, sometimes I will have a warmed up cup of coffee at 2:00 or 3:00 in the morning if I wake up, and a lot of times this will put me back to sleep LOL.

But for the past eight or nine days with the charcoal, I haven't even been waking up in the middle of the night anymore, I've been sleeping from about 8:00 p.m. till 5:00 or 5:30 a.m. without a single wake up. So I've been taking the charcoal right when I wake up at 5:00 or 5:30...

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals