Why do I have a swollen painful ankle but from no injury?

Josh

For a few weeks I’ve had a very mild pain on top of my foot/front of ankle area and a few days ago I was just having a feel of that area and I felt a lump or bump shall we say…. Later that night started getting difficult to walk on and then got swollen and these days since then its been painful, really swollen, right foot ankle only.

I went to the GP who said he doesn’t think its bone related as I can walk on it and move it around (although with a bit of pain, not terrible) and there was no direct physical trauma or injury or anything with it that I can remember…

He didn’t think it was infection as it wasn’t warm to touch, my temp is not high or anything and wasn’t unbearable to press the area like he thinks it would be if it was infection. I do have eczema on my feet but there's no cuts or anything directly at the point of swollen ankle ......

(I haven’t had an x ray or anything either).

GP thinks it could be a sprain but not really sure and just come back in a week or something if its not got better.

So been a few days now and it’s hard to walk on, swollen, hurts to press the area and it just feels really horrible. Like if my foot is elevated its painless but as soon as I de elevate my foot the blood rushes to the area and its so painful.

I’m 25. Weight training pretty often.

What could it possibly be? Or what could I do to better it? Should I be resting it? GP said take anti inflammatory tabs but I don’t normally like taking any pills. But could consider it for this if its worth it?

Peatful

Was a DVT ruled out?
Deep vein thrombosis

Could it be gout or pseudo gout?
“Many people develop gout. It is more common in men than in women. Gout usually develops in middle age. Women usually do not develop gout before menopause, which is why women tend to develop the disease at a later age than men. Rarely, younger people develop the disease; however, if they do, the disease tends to be more severe.”

“The most common symptom of gout is pain in the affected joint. Many people have their first flare of gout in one of their big toes, but it can also affect other joints in your body. Gout flares often start suddenly at night, and the intense pain may be bad enough to wake you up. In addition, your joint may feel swollen, red, warm, and stiff.
Gout flares usually occur in one joint and can be triggered by certain foods, alcohol, certain medications, physical trauma, or certain illnesses. Flares typically get better over a week or two, and in between, you usually don’t have symptoms. Some people may have frequent flares, while others may not have another flare for years. However, over time, if left untreated, your flares may last longer and happen more often.
If gout is untreated over long periods of time, tophi can develop. A tophus is the buildup of needle-shaped crystals that cause hard lumps to form under the skin, in and around the joints and other organs. Tophi start out as painless; however, over time, they can become painful and can cause bone and soft tissue damage and misshapen joints.
Some people with gout may be more likely to develop other conditions or complications, especially with the heart and kidneys. Common conditions include:
  • Hypertension (high blood pressure).
  • Chronic kidney disease.
  • Obesity.
  • Diabetes.
  • Nephrolithiasis (kidney stones).
  • Myocardial Infarction (heart attack).
  • Congestive heart failure.

Cause of Gout​

Gout happens when urate, a substance in your body, builds up and forms needle-shaped crystals in your joints. This leads to pain, swelling, redness, and changes in the movement and use of the affected joint. However, not everyone with high urate levels develops gout.
Urate comes from purines, which are found in your body’s tissues and many foods. When purines break down, they become urate. Normally, urate passes out of your body in urine. However, when too little is removed, urate builds up in your blood and needle-shaped crystals form in your joints, causing inflammation that is experienced as gout flares that cause pain and swelling.
Researchers continue to study how genes and environmental factors contribute to a buildup of urate in your blood. However, certain factors may increase your chances of developing gout, including:
  • Having high urate levels; however, not everyone who has high levels develops gout.
  • Having a family history of gout.
  • Increasing age.
  • Drinking alcohol.
  • Eating foods that are rich in purines (usually from animal sources), a substance that breaks down into urate.
  • Drinking beverages that have high-fructose corn syrup, such as soda.“

Peatful

This is not presenting like gout in his narrative above
Nor have I ever seen a man this young with gout

Also
One would think that the MD at examination would know immediately that it was gout
One would think…

OP
J

Josh

Hey all. Thanks for the replies. @Peatful @3apples555

I've actually spoke to two docs since and both said not gout. Not DVT either.

Still swollen but probably not as much, pain as reduced, less tender to press now, not hot to touch, I don't have a fever or unwell or anything so they both said unlikely to be infection.

but there is a lump thats red still, and I'm thinking cyst at the minute. It really does feel like one. But we'll see now as it seems to be improving without any treatment (apart from the redness itself)

Peatful

Hey all. Thanks for the replies. @Peatful @3apples555

I've actually spoke to two docs since and both said not gout. Not DVT either.

Still swollen but probably not as much, pain as reduced, less tender to press now, not hot to touch, I don't have a fever or unwell or anything so they both said unlikely to be infection.

but there is a lump thats red still, and I'm thinking cyst at the minute. It really does feel like one. But we'll see now as it seems to be improving without any treatment (apart from the redness itself)
Thanks for letting us know
I was just thinking about you this morning

Did you receive the mrna injection for C19?

OP
J

Josh

Thanks for letting us know
I was just thinking about you this morning

Did you receive the mrna injection for C19?

Sorry for the delay again, don't come here often.

No injections.

The swelling/pain everything is gone now. I'm just left with a lump there now, which I think and the docs thing is probably a ganglion cyst.

I appreciate the comments here from you mate

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals