Swollen foot in child

catan

My almost 4yo has a swollen right foot as of yesterday. I think it's a reaction to an insect bite, but can't see the bite mark. No itching or pain, and he is behaving normally. We had been camping the past weekend, and he's barefoot all the time outside. My mother in law came across a Facebook post about a mosquito bite turned deadly and wants us to take him to urgent care at least. I want to wait and see. My husband is ok with waiting until tomorrow to see how it is... he had some experience with a friend whose swollen foot became infected that resulted in a trip ER.

So I am posting for a sanity check. Is this something you'd seen? Insect bite? Allergic reaction?

Screen Shot 2023-06-27 at 5.03.28 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-06-27 at 5.03.50 PM.png

Peatful

There’s a small scab on the top no?
It’s white around it
Then redness in the rest of the foot

Does it go away when elevated?
(Hard for a little guy i know)

No pain?
No fever?

Plan A:
How about a baking soda bath tonight
And then some Benadryl at bedtime
Then reassess tomorrow morning

OP
C

catan

There’s a small scab on the top no?
It’s white around it
Then redness in the rest of the foot

Does it go away when elevated?
(Hard for a little guy i know)

No pain?
No fever?

Plan A:
How about a baking soda bath tonight
And then some Benadryl at bedtime
Then reassess tomorrow morning

Thanks. I did the bathing soda bath last night.

He started running a fever in the middle of the night. He's up now and in good spirits despite being warm.

His foot looks less swollen than yesterday.

Last edited:

Peatful

This is what I think...did not see the stinger though...
Plus wasp stings are quite painful

He would’ve known immediately and felt that rush of heat….

His foot is probably less swollen because it was elevated or at least at heart level when he was sleeping last night

This is voice recognition by the way

You can always crash two aspirin and make a paste and spread it on any red and inflamed area to see if that helps with any pain or swelling

I totally know where you’re coming from being hesitant taking him to the doctors office I think you and I have been through this before with your daughter….

I get it

OP
C

catan

Yes, I am paranoid after what happened at the dr with my daughter. I have sole custody of my daughter so I was the ultimate decision maker in that case, which is how I was able to wait longer. In the case of my son, I have to take his father's view into account ('if he dies it's on you'....)......

I am wondering if I should be doing something to reduce the swelling? It is not causing him any pain or discomfort.

Peatful

Yes, I am paranoid after what happened at the dr with my daughter. I have sole custody of my daughter so I was the ultimate decision maker in that case, which is how I was able to wait longer. In the case of my son, I have to take his father's view into account ('if he dies it's on you'....)......

I am wondering if I should be doing something to reduce the swelling? It is not causing him any pain or discomfort.
I used to go to a Chinese reflexologist guy and I would come home and demonstrate on my kids what he did to me and they thought it was hilarious

I’m saying this because you can always be a Masseuse with him and let him get a spa treatment while you rub his foot while he lays in a prone position- rubbing the fluid towards his chest

But ultimately you’re the mom and you know best trust your gut

Peatful

He is better today?

OP
C

catan

I used to go to a Chinese reflexologist guy and I would come home and demonstrate on my kids what he did to me and they thought it was hilarious

I’m saying this because you can always be a Masseuse with him and let him get a spa treatment while you rub his foot while he lays in a prone position- rubbing the fluid towards his chest

But ultimately you’re the mom and you know best trust your gut

I did massage his foot, and he actually held still for me. He was lethargic and sleepy that day, vomited, etc. The fever broke overnight and he is fine now. Thank you for your support.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals