Swollen Hands

Katty

Having an issue with swollen hands-- I think it started about 8 weeks ago, right around the time I started taking B1 (which has made me warmer and given me more energy). I probably wouldn't have even noticed except that my rings started to get tight. I've also gained a lot of weight, so I was thinking that maybe my hands are just bigger, but I suspect there is some water retention going on.

Today I went for a walk for about an hour in the sun. At some point around 10-30 minutes into the walk, my fingers became swollen-- more so than usual-- and felt really stiff. When I sat down in the car with air conditioning, the swelling slowly started to go down.

I know water retention can be a healing sign for a while for people who restricted for a long time (I was a restricter for a long time... and though I haven't restricted in a while, I suppose it's possible I'm still not eating enough... even though I keep gaining weight). So I can't tell if this is just a healing phase I have to deal with for a while (still tweaking some things to raise metabolism), or if there's some way to adjust my minerals to help this. Right before the walk, I had a banana and cheese and sprayed myself with some magnesium oil. Other than the cheese, I also had some salt at a meal a few hours earlier.

I haven't had coconut water in a while, but when I used to drink it, it caused weird loose stools and felt like it was drying me out (even when I wouldn't drink that much of it). So I was thinking that my body might want more salt instead of potassium. I seem to do pretty well with gatorade... even makes me feel better than OJ and salt (though I'm not sure if this is just a psychological preference).

Any ideas?

aguilaroja

Katty said:
Having an issue with swollen hands...right around the time I started taking B1 (which has made me warmer and given me more energy). I probably wouldn't have even noticed except that my rings started to get tight. I've also gained a lot of weight, so I was thinking that maybe my hands are just bigger...

I am guessing from the description that both hands swell equally, and that the fingers are swelling "generally", not specifically at a few or many joints, and without major tenderness and major changes in skin color.

It would be an unusual report for fingers to swell repeatedly and rapidly solely on a basis of weight gain. Further, it seems generally wiser to view hand symptoms as a signal to fine tune adjustments, rather than as a healing sign.

If the timing seems linked to starting the B1, you might hold the B1, or consider switching to a form with less or no excipients. Recent B1 untoward effects would likely wash out in a brief time.

If things happen pretty equally in both hands, you could see in a hand soak in epsom salt, or salt water on one side was relieving, using the other hand as control. A big side to side difference could give a big clue.

It is worth reviewing what, if any other symptoms are accentuated when the hand swelling arises, for more clues about over-all adjustments.

SQu

Drinking a coke helps me reduce swelling.
I wonder if hands are just a good indicator of general swelling, or if yours are swelling in particular, out of synch with your body. Thinking about it, one might not notice generalized swelling other than perhaps the face, ankles and feet, unless it made clothes feel tight, and chest wheezy. If we wore bands of metal elsewhere on our bodies and limbs, perhaps we'd feel it there too! I took my ring off due to swelling, but then replaced it to be exactly that, a useful indicator.
If it's general swelling, is that not likely to be estrogen? I have some signs (the ring is sometimes looser!) that thyroid may be starting to help my swelling, but it's too early to say.

OP
K

Katty

Thanks aguilaroja and sueq!

aguilaroja said:
I am guessing from the description that both hands swell equally, and that the fingers are swelling "generally", not specifically at a few or many joints, and without major tenderness and major changes in skin color.

Yes, swelling seemed equal in both hands, and no swelling at any particular joint. There might have been a slight color change- parts of my fingers looked a tad yellow. When I would get Raynaud's symptoms, a finger would go completely yellow, but of course they wouldn't swell and they'd be cold. With the new swelling, they weren't really yellow as with Raynaud's, just not quite as pink as the rest of the hand.

aguilaroja said:
If the timing seems linked to starting the B1, you might hold the B1, or consider switching to a form with less or no excipients. Recent B1 untoward effects would likely wash out in a brief time.

It is worth reviewing what, if any other symptoms are accentuated when the hand swelling arises, for more clues about over-all adjustments.

I just received a B1 thiamine with nothing else in it-- so I guess I'll discontinue the benfotiamine (which was the old B1 I've been taking) for now to see if it makes a difference. I thought the only other symptoms since starting the benfotiamine were all good ones- felt warmer, been sleeping well, and have a bit more energy. I don't think I noticed any other odd symptoms at the time of swelling-- I was walking outside and it was quite warm, so I guess I was hot and sweating, but the swelling started before any fatigue began.

I'm not sure if I'm imagining this, but my hands might be a little achy and stiff this morning-- I haven't taken the benfotiamine or the regular B1 this morning yet.

sueq said:
Drinking a coke helps me reduce swelling.
I wonder if hands are just a good indicator of general swelling, or if yours are swelling in particular, out of synch with your body. Thinking about it, one might not notice generalized swelling other than perhaps the face, ankles and feet, unless it made clothes feel tight, and chest wheezy. If we wore bands of metal elsewhere on our bodies and limbs, perhaps we'd feel it there too! I took my ring off due to swelling, but then replaced it to be exactly that, a useful indicator.
If it's general swelling, is that not likely to be estrogen? I have some signs (the ring is sometimes looser!) that thyroid may be starting to help my swelling, but it's too early to say.

Yes, I think I am probably swelling all over as opposed to just my fingers- fingers were just easiest to tell, but they've never felt as swollen or stiff as when I walked yesterday. You're right, estrogen is probably involved. I haven't yet re-started progesterone. I'm trying not to start too many things at once because I lose track of what is causing what.

I'm glad that your swelling seems to be going down-- I hope it continues!

OP
K

Katty

Here's an update. I stopped the benfotiamine and have been using regular B1 (pure powder, no additives). I haven't had another extreme swelling episode (also haven't taken a really long walk in the heat again). However, my fingers still swell a bit when I'm warm. Because they're swelling when I'm warm and well-fed, it makes me think maybe the swelling isn't a bad thing...? I generally feel better at the time of swelling, whereas when my fingers are a tad cold and not swollen, I'm usually not feeling as well overall.

I'm also thinking that the benfotiamine (with silica dioxide) was not the cause of the painful swelling because my fingers still swell a bit when I'm warm.

Also, the day of the swelling, I took aguilaroja's suggestion and soaked my left hand in an Epsom salt bath for about 30 minutes. I don't think I noticed much difference- if anything, my left hand felt more achy than my right hand for the rest if that day. Both hands were a tad achy the day after the extreme swelling- I think the left might have been more achy than the right. Why would Epsom salt make the pain worse?

I did remember that the night before the walk I took some activated charcoal before bed (away from any nutrients). I'm wondering if the charcoal absorbed some minerals so that I was deficient on my walk the next day. Anyone else notice electrolyte depletion after taking AC?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals