Sore/Stiff/Swollen after working

Peata

Right now I work part-time, usually a day or two per week. On the day I work, there are a lot of different physical requirements over the day. For example, there will be a period of lifting, carrying, pushing. Then there will be periods of sitting, then bending, lifting... There is some walking here and there (I jog when I can) and more sitting, etc. Toward the end of the work day, I can feel myself getting a little stiffer. Not in a sense of arthritis or something, but more like fluids building up a little and causing me to not be able to walk as easily. I can barely jog when I try. Seems like I'm locking up somehow.

After work it really hits me. I feel like it's hard to move. Like my abdomen is swollen, limbs and muscles are swollen and sore and it's harder to move, to sit, to get up, etc. I get in the hot shower and it seems like it gets worse. After the shower I can only sit and lay around the rest of the evening because of soreness. It's a struggle to get up like an elderly person. Again, not arthritis, just some strange fatigue of muscles and what has to be water retention all over causing some stiffness.

I sleep well. Wake up and still hard to move around. My hands were noticeably puffy this morning when I was washing them, and they didn't move flexibly, like when I was lathering them up with soap. It felt like I didn't have 100% use of them. My abdomen was still a little swollen.

I've been up a couple hours and my hands are back to normal, just moving around my body feels better but still some pain and fatigue.

I should mention I had bad GI symptoms the last two night - diarrhea, gas, gurgling, etc. I think it was brought on by eating "bad" starches like beans, instant potatoes, etc. But I feel that's a different topic, as this swelling/stiffness happens after everytime I work.

Adding that during the work day, I have plenty of coffee, caffeine, I eat a banana, usually some cheese stick, maybe a sandwich, juice, occasional soup in cup or a granola bar... anything that can be eating on the go with one hand. I would say my calorie intake over the day is 800 - 1,000 and then I'm really hungry when I get home and eat quite a bit over the evening.

If I work half a day for whatever reason, the stiffness/fatigue doesn't have time to build up. But the full day guarantees this will happen.

I wonder could it be lactic acid since I don't have an exercise regimen and so muscles aren't used to the work each week? Or is it muscle breaking down and then water and swelling set in? What about some imbalance in minerals? I do try to keep fluids up, mostly coffee, juice, water, sometimes Gatorade.

Any other ideas and things I can do to prevent/treat it?

Maybe aspirin?

OP
Peata

Peata

No replies, and I will have to go to work soon.

I have been taking Natural Calm for a few days, so maybe that will help. I'll also take some Alka Seltzer in my juice and sip it during the day. That's all I can think of, but I'll take any other advice or thoughts on it.

It *sounds* related to the GI upset possible...It sounds like endotoxin load.

Another possibility is electrolytes or minerals but it doesn't sound like that.

Are you eating fruit or drinking fruit juice? I've had similar issues with low potassium.

OP
Peata

Peata

ecstatichamster said:
post 115254 It *sounds* related to the GI upset possible...It sounds like endotoxin load.

Another possibility is electrolytes or minerals but it doesn't sound like that.

Are you eating fruit or drinking fruit juice? I've had similar issues with low potassium.

I'm eating less food during the time I work, so I *think* the endotoxin should be less, but maybe it's something I'm eating. I do make a couple simple sandwiches because they are easy and filling. I get pretty hungry at times.

It could be upset electrolyte balance. I think I get plenty of sodium, potassium and calcium during these days, so maybe the magnesium is the missing piece (I'm using the natural calm kind now).

On work days, I have Gatorade or OJ, and lots of coffee with skim milk and sugar. Fruit is usually a banana because it's easiest to eat on the go (and with hands that could be dirty).

Thanks, e.

What happens for you when your electrolytes get unbalanced - you swell up?

Last edited by a moderator:
I get cramping in toes and fingers. A little potassium in water resolves it. Magnesium also helps a lot.

OP
Peata

Peata

I did not get the swelling during or after work this time, so that's good. Perhaps it is the magnesium and/or B6 I'm taking that helps with that.

I also had an Alka Seltzer during the day but I've done that before in the past. Probably should have had one in the evening too because I did get sore and kind stiff in the eve as always. This morning I'm really sore. It wouldn't hurt to do more stretches and things on days off.

At least out of "Sore/Stiff/Swollen", I can eliminate the "Swollen". :)

OP
Peata

Peata

Well after yesterday I was just as sore as ever. I used aspirin/Alka Seltzer, magnesiusm, etc. I am now starting 2 - 3 g. taurine per day, hoping it will help reduce lactic acid and help my muscles work better so I don't get so sore. It's awful. It hurts to move, when I get out of bed the next day my bones pop a lot, I am stiff, sore... So trying Taurine (and for other reasons too).

OP
Peata

Peata

ecstatichamster said:
post 116198 Are there any endotoxin possibilities going on?

It's always a possibility, but not sure why it would come up only after work, affecting muscles.

Zachs

It sounds like a systemic inflammatory condition. A few things you might want to consider doing. One, not eating anything during the shift. You probably are not having optimal digestion and it could be an endotoxin issue. Just drink coffee with plenty of cream and sugar and other things like pulp free juice or soda. Make sure to eat a good meal 2 hours before work or so if possible.

Two, a hot shower probably is just adding to the inflammation. Definitely a good dose of aspirin pre and post work should help and also a cold shower afterwords might help. Three, maybe consider quitting your job. If you only work once or twice a week, seems like you could be looking for something better suited for you.

OP
Peata

Peata

Zachs said:
post 116201 It sounds like a systemic inflammatory condition. A few things you might want to consider doing. One, not eating anything during the shift. You probably are not having optimal digestion and it could be an endotoxin issue. Just drink coffee with plenty of cream and sugar and other things like pulp free juice or soda. Make sure to eat a good meal 2 hours before work or so if possible.

Two, a hot shower probably is just adding to the inflammation. Definitely a good dose of aspirin pre and post work should help and also a cold shower afterwords might help. Three, maybe consider quitting your job. If you only work once or twice a week, seems like you could be looking for something better suited for you.

Thanks for your reply. Yeah I wondered about eating during the stressful time affecting digestion, so I changed to mostly liquid during the shift. Except>> I do eat a couple small sandwiches because I get very hungry and it's hard not eat solid food. But next time, I can try liquids only all day and see how I do. And I will try a cool shower next time. I do seem to feel worse after the hot shower instead of better like I think should happen. And I'm doing the aspirin the last couple shifts, but will take a little more and see if it helps. I'll report how it goes.

OP
Peata

Peata

thebigpeatowski said:
post 116224 Hmmmm....maybe you're hypothyroid?

When I take temps and pulse they are good, and blood tests have always shown the normal paremeters, but I know there have been hypo symptoms at times. This has happened during the summer too when I think the sunlight would have helped some.

haidut

Forum Supporter
Peata said:
post 116197 my bones pop a lot, I am stiff, sore

Have you tested cortisol recently? These joint-popping is often a symptoms of high cortisol, as is edema. Both are also symptoms of hypothyroidism.

haidut said:
post 116268
Peata said:
post 116197 my bones pop a lot, I am stiff, sore

Have you tested cortisol recently? These joint-popping is often a symptoms of high cortisol, as is edema. Both are also symptoms of hypothyroidism.

That would mean taking a blood test or saliva test and appropriately deciding on how to fix the root cause, but as we know, Peata's prefered method for solving health issues is to play pin the donkey while blindfolded.

OP
Peata

Peata

Thanks for all the replies. Since Haidut asked about cortisol, I started back on Cyproheptadine on Christmas night and have worked up to 12 mg. This is for targeting the cortisol (and all the other things it helps with - serotonin, estrogen, etc). Although moods seemed better, I was still getting the same symptoms I described above after working.

I wasn't taking as much Taurine as I'd planned. It was more like 1.5 - 2 g. day. Then on Thurs I started upping my Taurine and have been taking 4 - 5 g. day. I felt a difference when I worked this weekend, and I think it may have been the Taurine helping.

The difference was: During the physical parts of the job, I felt about 20 years younger. As far as lifting, climbing, carrying, and all. It seemed like my physical self had been "upgraded" to where I felt more pep, strength and endurance. I was also calm and had almost no mental stress the whole day. If worry or rumination tried to come on, I could let it go.

However, when I got home I was up on the scale some and I could tell I was retaining water, as always after the shift. I think *some* of this could be due to pre-menstrual stuff going on, but...

After the shower, I was kind of stiff and sore, but not as bad as usual. But - On waking this morning and moving in bed, I felt the same severe stiffness and soreness as always, and yet somehow it went away quickly. Within a short time, I was up and doing all the usual stuff without physical distress. Normally, I'd be sore all day after I worked and maybe some into the next day. Also I would have been mentally exhausted. This time, not only am I doing well physically but I'm not mentally worn-out either. I've been pretty clear-headed and motivated.

So there is a big difference. I'm thinking it has to be the Taurine because I more than doubled what I was taking before. It's about the only thing different I can think of. I'll keep up what I'm doing and see.

tara

Hi Peata,
Did you try topical magnesium - eg epsom salt soak or Mg chloride spray or similar when you got home from work?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals