"When A Turk's Bowels Move Less Than Three Times A Day, He Consults A Physician."

OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

An other quote from Ray on fibers, I haven't seen what he says about potatoes mentioned on the forums:
Endotoxin: Poisoning from the Inside Out – Functional Performance Systems (FPS)
“Oatmeal and potatoes do provide fiber, but they are good food for bacteria, and bacterial endotoxin is usually the basic problem causing hormone imbalance, by being a chronic burden for the liver, keeping it from storing enough sugar to process thyroid and the other hormones effectively.”

Protective Bamboo Shoots – Functional Performance Systems (FPS)

Comprehensive Reviews in Food Science and Food Safety Volume 10, Issue 3, pages 153–168, May 2011
Nutritional Properties of Bamboo Shoots: Potential and Prospects for Utilization as a Health Food
Nirmala Chongtham, Madho Singh Bisht, Sheena Haorongbam
Bamboo is intricately associated with humans from times immemorial. Popularly known for their industrial uses, a lesser known fact of bamboos is the usage of its young shoots as a food that can be consumed fresh, fermented, or canned. The juvenile shoots are not only delicious but are rich in nutrient components, mainly proteins, carbohydrates, minerals, and fiber and are low in fat and sugars. In addition, they contain phytosterols and a high amount of fiber that can be labeled as nutraceuticals or natural medicines that are attracting the attention of health advocates and scientists alike. The shoots are free from residual toxicity and grow without the application of fertilizers. Modern research has revealed that bamboo shoots have a number of health benefits: improving appetite and digestion, weight loss, and curing cardiovascular diseases and cancer. The shoots are reported to have anticancer, antibacterial, and antiviral activity. Shoots have antioxidant capacity due to the presence of phenolic compounds. The increasing trends of health consciousness among consumers have stimulated the field of functional foods and bamboo shoots can be one of them. Bamboo fiber is now a common ingredient in breakfast cereals, fruit juices, bakery and meat products, sauces, shredded cheeses, cookies, pastas, snacks, frozen desserts, and many other food products. This review emphasizes the health benefits of bamboo shoots and their potential for utilization as a health food.

Nutrition. 2009 Jul-Aug;25(7-8):723-8. Epub 2009 Mar 13.
Effects of bamboo shoot consumption on lipid profiles and bowel function in healthy young women.
Park EJ, Jhon DY.
OBJECTIVE:
This study evaluated the short-term effect of bamboo shoot consumption as a dietary fiber source on blood glucose, lipid profiles, hepatic function, and constipation symptoms in healthy women.
METHODS:
Eight subjects, 21- to 23-y-old women, with normal health status received a dietary fiber-free diet (control), a diet containing 25 g of cellulose, and a diet containing 360 g of bamboo shoots, with each diet segment lasting 6 d. At the end of each diet, blood biochemical parameters, such as glucose, triacylglycerols, total cholesterol, high-density lipoprotein cholesterol, low-density lipoprotein cholesterol, glutamic pyruvic transaminase, glutamic oxaloacetic transaminase, and atherogenic index were measured and a questionnaire test for the evaluation of fecal excretion was taken. For statistical analysis, analysis of variance was performed.
RESULTS:
Serum total cholesterol, low-density lipoprotein cholesterol, and the atherogenic index were decreased with the bamboo shoot diet feeding compared with the dietary fiber-free diet. There were no differences in serum glucose levels among the tested diets. Fecal volume and bowel movement frequency in subjects fed the bamboo shoot diet were significantly increased.
CONCLUSION:
Bamboo shoots as a dietary fiber source has beneficial effects on lipid profile and bowel function.
Carrots may be advantageously used in a regimen that has for its purpose the changing of intestinal flora. Bertrand found that when rabbits were fed on potatoes, the urine contained indican, while the urine was free from indican when the animals were fed on carrots. The colon bacilli were more numerous in the colons of potato-fed rabbits. Bertrand thought that the greater amount of putrefaction in the potato-fed rabbits was due to the fact that there was less acid fermentation because less sugar was present. I was also noted that starch-digesting bacteria were present in smaller quantities in the stools of potato-fed rabbits.
This experiment shows the value of raw starch as found in green vegetables in reforming the intestinal flora.
A microscopic and bacteriological examination of the coating of the tongue shows it to be made up of epithelial cells, molds, yeasts and bactaeria. A potato culture medium inoculated with material gathered from a heavily coated tongue is in a few days covered with a luxuriant growth of molds, yeasts, and bactaeria. A great variety of organisms may be sorted out and among them are found the colon bacillus, the gas-forming bacillus of Welch, and various species of streptococci, pus-forming organisms, many of which are possessed of a high degree of virulence, and which may give rise to pneumonia, rheumatism, and other systemic diseases, to say nothing of pyorrhea, dental caries, and various other oral disorders.
I guess potatoes that have been cooked thoroughly don't contain enough fermentable material to keep bacteria occupied. It's unfair to compare raw carrots with cooked potatoes because cooking destroys the defenses, which is why it's good to have them flavored with some safe fats and spices, but the little indigestible carbs become even less accessible.
--

I believe people don't want to associate themselves with a primitive guru that relies on intestinal fermentation for nutrition. But on the other hand, the organ is still there wheter you like it or not. The best means to encourage its disappearance is through adequate nutrition. I already posted a review in which someone noted that the combination of proper nutrition and (therefore) lack of reliance on intestinal bacteria can be conflicting, the exchange is no longer useful. This exchange comes with a cost, and the more you rely on them, the greater the cost (such as in overgrowths). But since the organ is still there, you can't avoid fiber altogether because it will also create conflict. It's an odd thought, but it can be related to increased rates of divorce: when men had a clear role, and women another, they were complementary and dependent; but when there's autonomy, on the first argument, an axe is thrown at the other because it won't make as much difference as before, they have the clear belief that they can play each other's role with no problem.

If you want the supercentenarians' stories, they didn't seem to shy away from fiber, they seemed to choose agreeable ones instead. Milk, beans, greens, chocolate, fruits.
It's the conflicting situation that is the most damaging and dementing.

But once again, it comes down to keeping the intestines moving fast because there's the insurance that just a little bit of fiber will suffice, being enough to keep bacteria entertained and distracted without making much mess. For another relation of the ship analogy, it's like the girl that knows how to keep a lot of suitors by giving them an occasional light of hope so as they don't rebel and give up.

--
Now see, there you go selling yourself short again. First you're a job with a vacancy, and now you're a stairway to heaven because you have connections. Why be a girl's stairway to heaven when you can be her heaven?
Jennifer, it's unfair to use your charm to try to turn me against Diokine.

Wagner83

I'm curious about rice vs potatoes, jasmine rice should be thoroughly digested, and so as a main source of calories (quantity, volume) it may be safer than potatoes despite the inferior nutrition. Tyw felt so, raypeatclips too (their personal experience). I may do an experiment avoiding potatoes altogether to see how the tongue coating evolves, but may see if I can get 2 bm a day first. Eating mostly potatoes fibers add up quick, even more so with other foods. Travis has also talked about the effects of potatoes on the mineralocorticoid receptors (which could cause body hair growth and white tongue?).
Thanks for the analogies. I appreciate the time and effort you put in your replies.

Last edited:
OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

I'm curious about rice vs potatoes, jasmine rice should be thoroughly digested, and so as a main source of calories (quantity, volume) it may be safer than potatoes despite the inferior nutrition. Tyw felt so, raypeatclips too (their personal experience). I may do an experiment avoiding potatoes altogether to see how the tongue coating evolves, but may see if I can get 2 bm a day first.
What about rice with bell of the peppers? They tend to be safe.
Thanks for the analogies.
I think they indicate an incompetent communicator((( : the main message is not enough by itself. Sheila would never approve them.

Thank you for the kind words.

Last edited:

raypeatclips

I'm curious about rice vs potatoes, jasmine rice should be thoroughly digested, and so as a main source of calories (quantity, volume) it may be safer than potatoes despite the inferior nutrition. Tyw felt so, raypeatclips too (their personal experience). I may do an experiment avoiding potatoes altogether to see how the tongue coating evolves, but may see if I can get 2 bm a day first. Eating mostly potatoes fibers add up quick, even more so with other foods. Travis has also talked about the effects of potatoes on the mineralocorticoid receptors (which could cause body hair growth and white tongue?).
Thanks for the analogies. I appreciate the time and effort you put in your replies.

Past couple of days I've introduced potatoes again for a meal or two. I certainly don't think they should be a "main" source of calories or even main source of carbs (for me personally), but I felt rice was becoming perhaps a bit constipating. Rice has been my staple for about 4 months now maybe? and I am just noticing these effects.

I'm starting to wonder if a mixture of everything would be better. One meal a day containing potatoes, one with rice, one with a good quality sourdough I've found. Alongside sugar at every meal, glass of orange juice, glass of grape juice with another etc.

Vinero

Past couple of days I've introduced potatoes again for a meal or two. I certainly don't think they should be a "main" source of calories or even main source of carbs (for me personally), but I felt rice was becoming perhaps a bit constipating. Rice has been my staple for about 4 months now maybe? and I am just noticing these effects.

I'm starting to wonder if a mixture of everything would be better. One meal a day containing potatoes, one with rice, one with a good quality sourdough I've found. Alongside sugar at every meal, glass of orange juice, glass of grape juice with another etc.
That makes sense and is also what I am doing now. Two big meals, one potato-based and one rice-based.
Meal 1 is white rice, steak and coke.
Meal 2 is potatoes, chicken-breast, and orange juice.
Drink coffee and fruit juice throughout the day.
I drink milk when I wake up and just before bed now, instead of with meals,
Since combining milk and meat is supposed to be the worst possible thing for digestion.
I am already feeling less mental fatigue since doing this. We will see where this goes.

raypeatclips

That makes sense and is also what I am doing now. Two big meals, one potato-based and one rice-based.
Meal 1 is white rice, steak and coke.
Meal 2 is potatoes, chicken-breast, and orange juice.
Drink coffee and fruit juice throughout the day.
I drink milk when I wake up and just before bed now, instead of with meals,
Since combining milk and meat is supposed to be the worst possible thing for digestion.
I am already feeling less mental fatigue since doing this. We will see where this goes.

How many calories are you getting? That doesn't seem much, but maybe you eat big portions.

Similarish diet to me, except I have more vegetables, chocolate, fruits, ice cream. I've never liked the potatoes and beef combination either, it pairs so well with rice. I have grape juice instead of coke for the rice/beef meal.

Interesting you are getting benefits from drinking milk alone a la Kellogg. I'm not sure I've ever noticed anything from a meal containing both meat and milk, but maybe I haven't been paying enough attention. I think milk and meat is a pretty common thing, such as che

Vinero

How many calories are you getting? That doesn't seem much, but maybe you eat big portions.

Similarish diet to me, except I have more vegetables, chocolate, fruits, ice cream. I've never liked the potatoes and beef combination either, it pairs so well with rice. I have grape juice instead of coke for the rice/beef meal.

Interesting you are getting benefits from drinking milk alone a la Kellogg. I'm not sure I've ever noticed anything from a meal containing both meat and milk, but maybe I haven't been paying enough attention. I think milk and meat is a pretty common thing, such as che
I eat big portions, until I feel really full. I basically eat as much as I can twice a day lol.
I still eat some dark chocolate to get extra calories if I feel those meals weren't enough,

OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

I don't understand why he didn't suggest consumption of milk and fruits together. Depending on the choice they can enhance the effect of each other.
Or maybe I do. The first register of a blender appeared in 1922*, and this book was published in 1919. :ss
The History of The Blender
"The Polish-American Stephen J. Poplawski, owner of the Stevens Electric Company, began designing drink mixers in 1919 under contract with Arnold Electric Company, and patented the drink mixer in 1922 which had been designed to make Horlicks malted milkshakes at soda fountains. He also introduced the liquefier blender in 1922.

In the 1930s, L. Hamilton, Chester Beach and Fred Osius, produced Poplawski’s invention under the brand name Hamilton Beach Company. Fred Osius improved the appliance, making another kind of blender. He approached Fred Waring, a popular musician, who financed and promoted the "Miracle Mixer", released in 1933. However the appliance had some problems to be solved about the seal of the jar and the knife axis, so Fred Waring redesigned the appliance and released his own blender in 1937, the Waring Blendor with which Waring popularized the smoothie in the 1940s. Waring Products was sold to Dynamics Corporation of America in 1957 and was acquired by Conair in 1998. Waring long used the trademarked spelling "Blendor" for its product; the trademark has expired.

Also in 1937, W.G. Barnard, founder of Vitamix, introduced a product called "The Blender," which was functionally a reinforced blender with a stainless steel jar, instead of the Pyrex glass jar used by Waring.

In 1946 John Oster, owner of the Oster barber equipment company, bought Stevens Electric Co. and designed its own blender, which Oster commercialized under the trademark Osterizer. Oster was bought by Sunbeam Products in 1960 which released various types of blenders, as the Imperial series and still make the traditional Osterizer blender."

Regarding heating milk, it's probably a sign of too fast of the drinkings. When milch is chewed, it's swallowed close to the body temperature and heating it shouldn't make a big difference. Am I missing something?

A meal having to taste good if blended is something I have considered for a long time. It must be a way of putting proper combinations to test.

Jennifer

Jennifer, it's unfair to use your charm to try to turn me against Diokine.
Oh, no! It's about love not war! Please don't let any perceived charms cost you your friendship or true love. :( Go be in that alpha group with your new lover. I'm sure you'll find a way to get passed your differences over fiber and be regular together like every memorable couple in history. I wish you two all the best!

And now that I've added nothing of real value to yet another thread, I'll stop now. I'm enjoying reading everyone's perspectives and experiences on this topic. :):

teds

Forum Supporter
Vegetable foods contain sugars, starches and dextrines, substances which ferment, and so when undergoing decay do not in general give rise to the obnoxious and poisonous gases and other substances which accompany the decay of animal tissues.

Ummmmm.. beg to diff-

Sorry- just passed out from a broccoli fart

OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

Ummmmm.. beg to diff-

Sorry- just passed out from a broccoli fart
?

This is not a reaction to its cellulose (exclusively made of glucose, tending to be much safer). I already pointed this out, it was likely a reaction to its compounds containing sulfur (which happen contain cysteine and methionine, by the way). So, many people blame these reactions on plant fiber and are repelled whenever there's a suggestion to increase its intake, when in fact a lot of times are the amino acids that are causing the trouble.

With that said, in the absence of animal proteids in a therapeutic diet, the chances of these unwanted reactions happening are greatly diminished:

William F. Koch Research Site

"Besides, a good mucous secretion on the part of the intestinal wall is to be desired in order to hold back the sulfides from passing into the lymph and blood streams of the portal circulation. When efficient mucous is lacking, some non-metallic substitute is required, such as METHYL CELLULOSE, psyllium seed products, the slimy product of the Aloe plant, okra, and others. These materials offer large absorption surfaces that take up toxins and wall off the mucosa surface of the intestine from its toxic contents.

Foods that support sulfide production are principally the proteins of animal origin. Beans have this reputation but it will be found that they offer little or no sulfide production, if the rest of the diet is free from animal proteins. Peas and lentils may be a source of sulfides and they also offer materials that support the tubercle bacillus luxuriantly in artificial culture media. Hence they to are to be eliminated like various flesh products and eggs. When the natural metallic catalysts that must be present in high dilution in the foods are protected by not using meats and aluminum cooking utensils, the advantage is obvious."​

People that are experienced in surviving in the wild know that they can eat larvae that grows on woods with no problems, but they refuse to eat those that grew on carcasses. Both were decomposing material, one cellulose, other proteids.

Last edited:
OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

@Amazoniac What plant fibres are you fond of?
It's very individual, so I feel like it won't be much useful to share my preferences because they won't be applicable to someone else. As examples, I tried to become Travis, it didn't work; and there are various supercentenarians that ate beans on a daily basis and you can't imagine them dealing with 'the bean of the syndromes'.

Wagner83

I just ate some raw cabbage, so I wanted to say..goodbye.

and there are various supercentenarians that ate beans on a daily basis and you can't imagine them dealing with 'the bean of the syndromes'.
For some reasons I'd expect various beans to have vastly different effects, green beans being much safer than red/black kidney beans for example, but there's 0 scientific basis for this statement.

OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

I just ate some raw cabbage, so I wanted to say..goodbye.
Intact defenses.
much safer than red/black
Tut. But if you go, I just want to let you know that I don't keep any resentment. Let Liam Scheff know that Westside was right (again), he was a cool guy indeed.

Jennifer

For some reasons I'd expect various beans to have vastly different effects, green beans being much safer than red/black kidney beans for example, but there's 0 scientific basis for this statement.
I wonder if it's because red, black, kidney beans etc. are straight up seeds and we eat them in volume, while the beans/seeds of the green bean are encased in a fleshy meat like that of other fruits – I may be wrong, but I think green beans are botanically a fruit like sugar snap peas?

tara

I think milk and meat is a pretty common thing, ...
There are some long religious traditions that prohibit it (eg. no seething kid in mother's milk etc). Maybe they have some digestive basis as well as theological?
But like many factors, whether it gives us noticable trouble might depend on our individual vulnerabilities?

Well, red kidney beans have toxins that can make people quite sick within hours from a single meal if not thoroughly cooked, whereas green beans may have some long term effects, but lots of people eat them for years with no obvious problems, with little or no cooking. I'd say there's scientific and empirical basis.

Wagner83

Ok thanks for adding your thoughts ladies.

An interesting thread with ideas on healing, milk is discussed but not to the point of having exclusively milk in the diet (like Amazoniac who wondered why Kellogg didn't consider having both milk and fruits in the same diet). Clinical Context To Ray's Theoretical Context

ebs

Potatoes for me are actually beneficial AGAINST constipation. My bowel movements improved after bringing potatoes back into my diet. Also higher fiber intake. I'm very sensative for dairy concerning this matter and my gut seems to prefer beef, eggs and potatoes vs. stuff like yoghurt and milk. Basically starches improve my bowel movements and stools so not everything the Peat doctrine dictates applies to everyone.

Last edited:

raypeatclips

Potatoes for me are actually beneficial AGAINST constipation. My bowel movements improved after bringing potatoes back into my diet. Also higher fiber intake. I'm very sensative for dairy concerning this matter and my gut seems to prefer beef, eggs and potatoes vs. stuff like yoghurt and milk. Basically starches improve my bowel movements and stools so not everything the Peat doctrine dictates applies to everyone.

I also feel better having some potatoes in my diet (instead of overdoing it like I did in the past) Potatoes and Peat are really not two separate things, if people don't get digestive issues from them. See the top half of this post What Is Peat's General Stance On Fruit Sugars Vs Sucrose

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals