Garlic Antimicrobial Effects Were More Permanent And Irresistible When Compared To Tetracycline

Amazoniac

A comparative study of raw garlic extract and tetracycline on caecal microflora and serum proteins of albino rats

"[Although the] caecal flora of rats fed raw garlic extract had significantly lower counts [than control] they were significantly more than those of tetracycline fed rats. However, on feeding only control diet after withdrawal of the test materials, the microflora of the caeca of tetracycline fed animals tended to revert to normalcy faster than those after garlic, indicating a prolonged inhibitory action of garlic extract on intestinal microbes."

"Bacteria develop faster resistance to commercially available antibiotics (Drasar and Hill 1974). At certain times prolonged administrations of antibiotics may lead to the colonization of yeasts and moulds which are hazardous to the hosts. On the other hand, natural antimicrobial agents such as garlic can inhibit both bacteria and moulds apart from its hypoglycaemic and hypecholesteremic actions."

"After the withdrawal of the administrations and feeding of only control diet it was observed that the serum protein profile, especially globulins tended to revert to normalcy faster in tetracycline-fed animals than those fed with garlic, which clearly demonstrated the higher inhibitory activity of garlic than tetracycline. The data also suggested that there existed correlation between the intestinal microflora and serum globulins. This was clearly seen in the fact that serum globulins decreased after the administration of garlic and tetracycline and reverted to normalcy after their withdrawal."

For those that are dealing with chronic infections, that developed as a slow progression, natural antibiotics might be a more suitable, effective and safer route.

Last edited:

lvysaur

There's probably a balance between killing enough bacteria to promote health, and keeping enough bacteria to prevent antibiotic resistance.

OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

Ok, these searches are getting creepier: "irresistible ray peat forum"
The Best Way to Mince Garlic
Graters are basically slicers, but the traditional japanese ones are slightly different: the food is also sliced but since there are no holes on the plane, it starts to accumulate and is crushed every time the food passes over and over again (it takes much longer to grate). Since the plant defensive chemicals are released or activated when there's damage, this type of grater is probably the most aggressive.
He Japanese had it all figured out

Very helpful. Garlic always seems harsh on the gut, but it may be well worth it. I find garlic with onion in some yogurt to be palatable, and there are studies showing garlic and onions are better than just garlic.

OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

Very helpful. Garlic always seems harsh on the gut, but it may be well worth it. I find garlic with onion in some yogurt to be palatable, and there are studies showing garlic and onions are better than just garlic.
It isn't a strange combination because strained yogurt is more or less similar to cheese, and there are many popular dishes with cheese, garlic, tomato paste and herbs such as oregano.

biffbelvin

This is pure speculation, but could it be possible that garlic is somehow selective, or rather, only effective enough to affect dominant (and therefore pathogenic) bacteria? That way, when the treatment is over, there are still 'good' bacteria around to compete with the 'bad' bacteria?

Ray Medina of gut critters credited raw garlic as stopping his SIBO. As I recall it is the allicin content that is supposed to have the strong anti-microbial/fungal effects. He would crush a clove and dissolve it in water for 10 minutes then drink thewater.

I tried it myself a while back for about 2 weeks. The intention was to cleanse my gut before taking goats milk kefir (170ml daily). I can't really guarantee that the garlic did what i wanted, but the kefir has been extremely successful, so it's entirely possible. My skin is much better and less dry/itchy, and I have two bowel movements every day. No constipation, loose stools or diarhea in 3 months. As far as i can recall, I have never ***t this well in my life.

raita, anyone?

Two foods i really enjoy eating. Home-made hummus is fantastic and suoper easy to make yourself.

OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

could it be possible that garlic is somehow selective, or rather, only effective enough to affect dominant (and therefore pathogenic) bacteria?
I don't think so. I believe garlic stuns and the body shapes.
I can't really guarantee that the garlic did what i wanted, but the kefir has been extremely successful, so it's entirely possible.
Since our hamsterzord mentioned an indian recipe, turmeric with milk or yogurt is a traditional combination to treat maladies. Search for 'turmeric milk' on Google Scholar.

OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

Copper Grater-銅おろし金-
That is an artisan process, the product looks a bit grotesque, but the protrusions can be made into more like incisor than canine (as in the video) teeth, which will slice rather than tear. Perhaps it's limited by the techmology, since penetrating through a point is much easier for the crafter. In both of them there will be cavities that accumulate the food to be crushed.

Last edited:

Regina

Copper Grater-銅おろし金-
That is an artisan process, the product looks a bit grotesque, but the protrusions can be made into more like incisor than canine (as in the video) teeth, which will slice rather than tear. Perhaps it's limited by the techmology, since penetrating through a point is much easier for the crafter. In both of them there will be cavities that accumulate the food to be crushed.
Cool!

Sheila

My dear Amazoniac,

What a card you are!
But no, dear boy, I hate to trample on your pristine but cherished copy of Debrett's, but those born with the crested Mappin & Webb coffee spoons in their mouths rarely give an RA for admissible etiquette or otherwise - too busy chasin' alternatively, the dragon, the nanny and the gardener!

Did work for a Nobel for a while though, of the Dynamit variety, it was a blast.

Yours ever,

Sheila

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals