Probiotics- Better Off Dead. (And More Effective!)

tankasnowgod

One of the ideas of Ray Peat's that seems to run counter to both the mainstream and alternative health world is that bacteria in the GI tract is NOT beneficial, in general. Peat has said that there are some strains of bacteria that are less harmful than others, and even can produce some beneficial substances, but that all bacteria produce negative products as well, like lactic acid and endotoxin.

In another thread, I heard this quote, where Peat speaks favorably of Lactobacillus-

Of course, the thing that stuck out to me is that Lactobacillus is anti-inflammatory, EVEN IF IT'S DEAD! Well, looking around a bit, there is at least a little interest in using dead lactobacillis in people who have digestive issues-

Probiotics: Better off dead?

"Joseph Neu of the University of Florida School of Medicine and his colleagues reviewed several studies that compared health impacts using live microbes versus those that had first been killed by heat or ultraviolet radiation. The dead bugs were just as effective as live ones, they report, but “considerably safer for the host.” For instance, they appeared less likely to provoke an overzealous immune response.

One study worked with Lactobacillus rhamnosus GG, better known as LGG. Researchers administered high doses of the bacterial strain to human cells that normally line the interior surface of the gut. When stimulated in a way that simulated the presence of a pathogen, the gut cells revved up a bigger inflammatory response than when the probiotics were absent. Both live and dead LGG induced fairly comparable responses — ones that would be expected to improve the gut’s ability to fight infection."

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/07315724.2000.10718084

"A number of studies using animal models and clinical studies in humans have confirmed the beneficial effect of such fermented products in case of lactose intolerance, viral diarrhea or antibiotics-associated diarrhea. The mechanisms by which lactic acid bacteria exert their effects are multiple. Bacterial lactase improves the absorption of lactose, but fermented products slow down the intestinal transit facilitating the action of residual intestinal lactase. The transient passage of lactic acid bacteria in the digestive tract may represent a microbial barrier against the development of pathogenic bacteria, probably due to the release of compounds contributing to the maintenance of colonization resistance to pathogens. The beneficial effects are mainly described in the presence of live bacteria, but inactivated bacteria may also present preventive or curative capacities in diarrheal diseases. "

I remember from my paleo days that the big "complaint" with probiotic products was that the species were dead and inactive. Far from being a problem, this may have actually been a benefit, and in many species, wouldn't have prevented beneficial effects, and may have contained negatives, such as lactic acid production.

Heat, UV Light, and stomach acid are all things that can help to kill probiotics. So, maybe there is benefit to getting some of the cheap, non-enteric coated lactobacillis products, not keeping them in the fridge, exposing to light, and taking either with a hot substance like coffee, or along with digestive enzymes.

Thoughts? And does anyone know of a product that sells dead or "inactivated" Lactobacillus?

michael94

I was thinking of recipes that use cooked yogurt. Quite common in middle eastern cooking or balkans if I remember. But that would have a lot of lactic acid also

michael94

if youre interested I first read about that from this blog post where he mentions cooked yogurt ... seems like an eternity ago. Maybe some things here are not pro metabolic rate but youll just have to forgive ...

The High-fat Hep C Diet: How do you fix a leaky gut? New twists on old ideas.

One of the ideas of Ray Peat's that seems to run counter to both the mainstream and alternative health world is that bacteria in the GI tract is NOT beneficial, in general. Peat has said that there are some strains of bacteria that are less harmful than others, and even can produce some beneficial substances, but that all bacteria produce negative products as well, like lactic acid and endotoxin.

In another thread, I heard this quote, where Peat speaks favorably of Lactobacillus-

Of course, the thing that stuck out to me is that Lactobacillus is anti-inflammatory, EVEN IF IT'S DEAD! Well, looking around a bit, there is at least a little interest in using dead lactobacillis in people who have digestive issues-

Probiotics: Better off dead?

"Joseph Neu of the University of Florida School of Medicine and his colleagues reviewed several studies that compared health impacts using live microbes versus those that had first been killed by heat or ultraviolet radiation. The dead bugs were just as effective as live ones, they report, but “considerably safer for the host.” For instance, they appeared less likely to provoke an overzealous immune response.

One study worked with Lactobacillus rhamnosus GG, better known as LGG. Researchers administered high doses of the bacterial strain to human cells that normally line the interior surface of the gut. When stimulated in a way that simulated the presence of a pathogen, the gut cells revved up a bigger inflammatory response than when the probiotics were absent. Both live and dead LGG induced fairly comparable responses — ones that would be expected to improve the gut’s ability to fight infection."

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/07315724.2000.10718084

"A number of studies using animal models and clinical studies in humans have confirmed the beneficial effect of such fermented products in case of lactose intolerance, viral diarrhea or antibiotics-associated diarrhea. The mechanisms by which lactic acid bacteria exert their effects are multiple. Bacterial lactase improves the absorption of lactose, but fermented products slow down the intestinal transit facilitating the action of residual intestinal lactase. The transient passage of lactic acid bacteria in the digestive tract may represent a microbial barrier against the development of pathogenic bacteria, probably due to the release of compounds contributing to the maintenance of colonization resistance to pathogens. The beneficial effects are mainly described in the presence of live bacteria, but inactivated bacteria may also present preventive or curative capacities in diarrheal diseases. "

I remember from my paleo days that the big "complaint" with probiotic products was that the species were dead and inactive. Far from being a problem, this may have actually been a benefit, and in many species, wouldn't have prevented beneficial effects, and may have contained negatives, such as lactic acid production.

Heat, UV Light, and stomach acid are all things that can help to kill probiotics. So, maybe there is benefit to getting some of the cheap, non-enteric coated lactobacillis products, not keeping them in the fridge, exposing to light, and taking either with a hot substance like coffee, or along with digestive enzymes.

Thoughts? And does anyone know of a product that sells dead or "inactivated" Lactobacillus?

Broken man

I am interested about this too, IT seems that cooking the way my grandmother did Is beneficial.

OP
tankasnowgod

tankasnowgod

Another interesting study...... This one found that dead probiotics resulted in more weight and fat loss than the live strain did. Both groups lost weight as compared to the control group, but only the dead probiotic group reched statistical significance-

Antiobesity effect of Pediococcus pentosaceus LP28 on overweight subjects: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled clinical trial. - PubMed - NCBI

SUBJECTS/METHODS:
The clinical trial was carried out as a double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled study comprising 62 subjects (20-70 years of age, BMI 25-30 kg/m(2)). These subjects were randomly assigned to three groups that received living LP28, heat-killed LP28 or a placebo powder, administered orally once a day for 12 weeks.

RESULTS:
Heat-killed LP28 reduced BMI (0.45 kg/m(2), 95% CI (0.04, 0.86), P=0.035), body fat percentage (1.11%, (0.39, 1.82), P=0.002), body fat mass (1.17 kg (0.43, 1.92), P=0.004) and waist circumference (2.84 cm (0.74, 4.93), P=0.009) when compared with a placebo group. Fasting plasma glucose, HbA1c, fasting insulin, HOMA-IR and serum lipids levels did not change by either living LP28 or heat-killed LP28 intake.

CONCLUSIONS:
Heat-killed LP28 displays an antiobesity effect that reduces BMI, body fat and waist circumference, suggesting that the plant-derived lactic acid bacterium LP28 would be a promising preventive of metabolic syndrome.

cyclops

You can use Greek yogurt that has less lactic acid.

Is there a way to tell which Greek Yogurts have less lactic acid? I notice some brands taste a bit more sour than others. Do you think the more sour it is, the more lactic acid it has?

Makrosky

@tankasnowgod I haven't read the articles in detail. Do the researches specify whats is the minimum required temperature to destroy the lactobacillus?

OP
tankasnowgod

tankasnowgod

@tankasnowgod I haven't read the articles in detail. Do the researches specify whats is the minimum required temperature to destroy the lactobacillus?

I did not see temps specified in the articles, but lactobacillus is used in brewing beer, and I did find this discussion on a brewing forum- time+temp Killing beer bugs

Probably just like other forms of cooking, in the sense that higher temperatures require less time, lower temps more. I don't even think it would need to be 100% sterile. If 90% of probiotics are dead by the time you buy them, and you kill off another 95% with heat, everything is largely dead, and the remaining fraction would likely be killed off by stomach acid.

OP
tankasnowgod

tankasnowgod

OP
tankasnowgod

tankasnowgod

I am interested about this too, IT seems that cooking the way my grandmother did Is beneficial.

Does cooking destroy lactic acid? Regardless, it seems that fermented foods should most certainly be cooked before being consumed.

Broken man

Does cooking destroy lactic acid? Regardless, it seems that fermented foods should most certainly be cooked before being consumed.
I dont know but I know that I destroyed lactic acid bacteria from kefir with apple vinegar.

OP
tankasnowgod

tankasnowgod

Is there a way to tell which Greek Yogurts have less lactic acid? I notice some brands taste a bit more sour than others. Do you think the more sour it is, the more lactic acid it has?

I think sourness is going to be the best indicator. I was eating quite a bit of greek yogurt, and just dropped that this week, and while it's only been a few days, I am feeling remarkably better. Peat has mentioned that lactic acid is problematic with any cell it comes into contact with, regardless of how it gets there (whether eaten, produced by bacteria, or produced by your own cells).

I can certainly see how eating too much lactic acid can both slow down digestion, and help overload the liver. And help to inflame anything it comes in contact with along the way.

Broken man

I think sourness is going to be the best indicator. I was eating quite a bit of greek yogurt, and just dropped that this week, and while it's only been a few days, I am feeling remarkably better. Peat has mentioned that lactic acid is problematic with any cell it comes into contact with, regardless of how it gets there (whether eaten, produced by bacteria, or produced by your own cells).

I can certainly see how eating too much lactic acid can both slow down digestion, and help overload the liver. And help to inflame anything it comes in contact with along the way.
Did you try IT with fruit?

Broken man

Yogurt? Yes, everytime. I think I was eating it too much and too frequently. Getting too much lactic acid.
Than liver Is bad or your oxidative metabolism weak. I also read that our body should convert lactic acid into succinic ACID.

OP
tankasnowgod

tankasnowgod

Than liver Is bad or your oxidative metabolism weak. I also read that our body should convert lactic acid into succinic ACID.

Well, maybe, but as Peat said, lactic acid will negatively affect any tissue it comes into contact with. Might be fine for occasional use, but I was trying to use it as a daily protein source. GI tract is a lot happier these last few days.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals