Centella Asiatica, A Promising Candidate Agent For Anticancer Therapeutics

Chemico-Biological Interactions Asiatic acid abridges pre-neoplastic lesions, inflammation, cell proliferation and induces apoptosis in a rat model of colon carcinogenesis

The colonic lumen is lined by a highly specialized epithelium composed primarily of goblet cells, which secrete mucin [63]. Mucin protects the epithelial lining against several injuries (inflammation, microbial invasion, toxins, pH, etc.) by forming a network via oligo-merization domains and thereby in the prevention of intestinal cancer[64]. Many studies suggest that analysis of the epithelial mucin activity is a valuable marker to predict and monitor the progression of colon cancer [65,66]. Our results portrayed goblet cells devoid of mucin ex-pression in DMH-alone-exposed rats, which could be due to the en-hanced release of mucinase enzyme leading to the hydrolysis of the protective mucins in the colon and exposure of the underlying epithelial cells to the carcinogens [67,68]. Treatment with AA significantly in-creased the mucin content in goblet cells as compared to DMH, which suggests that AA significantly protects the epithelial barriers against the carcinogen, DMH.

Previous studies reported that mast cells mediate tumour cellapoptosis through secretion of tumour necrosis factor (TNF-α) or by the production of reactive peroxides [69,70]. It indicates that these proin-flammatory mediators are involved in the pathogenesis of gastro-intestinal diseases. Mast cells are considered as innate immune cells which modulate colonic adenoma to carcinoma development. Our current study revealed increased numbers of mast cells in the colonic tissue of DMH-alone-administered rats, implicating the initiation of inflammatory cascade. However supplementation with AA to DMH-in-duced rats, reduced mast cell infiltration, and subsequently inflamma-tion and occurrence of adenocarcinoma induced by the carcinogen DMH.

Abnormal cellular proliferation is the prime contributor to carci-nogenesis [71].
...AA transduces apoptosis by the mi-tochondrial pathway...

In summary, the present study provides substantial evidence that AA inhibits DMH-induced colon carcinogenesis, which can be attributed to its ability in detoxifying the carcinogen, decreasing the preneoplastic lesions and exhibiting anti-inflammatory, anti-proliferative and proapoptotic eff ects. Further, our study also reveals that AA significantly attenuates the pathological alterations acquired by the colon and liver of the DMH-exposed rats. Among the three diff erent time periods of AA administration, the group in which AA was ad-ministered throughout the experimental period (EP) (group 6) showed the maximum inhibitory eff ect on DMH-induced colon carcinogenesis.Thus the outcome of this work infers that in presence of the chemical carcinogen DMH, AA can eff ectively induce apoptosis and protect against inflammation and proliferation. So AA, by virtue of its ability tomarkedly inhibit DMH-induced colon carcinogenesis could be a pro-mising candidate agent for cancer chemoprevention and anticancertherapeutics.

OP
General Orange
Centella Asiatica (Gotu Kola) is anti-androgenic: The inductive effects of Centella asiatica on rat spermatogenic cell apoptosis in vivo. - PubMed - NCBI which is dissapointing because I was interested in using this substance for health benefits. Any comments on this?

"The resultsof this study show that the aqueous extract of
Centellaasiatica impairs reproductive function in the male rat. Withregard to the ascending trend of adverse effects on semenparameters and testicular histology in conjunction withdose increase,
it clearly appear that the effects of Centellaasiatica may be mainly due to its direct deleterious impacts on the seminiferous tubules, according to the study byMahanem and Norazalia [43].'
The inductive effects of Centella asiatica on rat spermatogenic cell apoptosis in vivo

-You can counter that with combining it with Tribulus terrestris which can protect the reproductive system
http://www.academicjournals.org/article/article1380208438_Esfandiari and Dehghani.pdf
"The results of our
study showed that the thickness of wall of seminiferous
tubules were significantly increased in experimental
groups as compare to control groups
(P < 0.05) but, there
was no significant difference between MCG and IEG (P >
0.05). In addition, sperm was seen and leydig cells were
increased after using TT in immature rats."

"Our findings are essentially in agreement with El-tantawy et
al. (2007) and Gauthman et al. (2003, 2008) findings.
Significant increase was observed in weight of testes in
experimental groups as compared with control groups (P
< 0.05), but no significant difference between MCG and
IEG was observed (P > 0.05). Maybe, these result due to
increasing in function and compactness of cells of
seminiferous tubules and consequently we have an
increased excretion in these tubules. We concluded that
TT may cause early puberty and it may increase
testosterone levels and it can increase compactness of
spermatogenic cells and sperms."

"The aim of this study was to evaluate the effects of T. terrestris on semen quality and physiological parameters. Sixty-five men with abnormal semen evaluation were included in this study, in which they were prescribed with oral administration of Androsten® (250 mg of Tribulus terrestris dried extract per capsule). Body fat percentage, lean muscle mass gain, fluctuation in steroid hormone levels and all semen parameters were analysed during the period of treatment. The results demonstrated that decrease in the percentage of body fat and increase in lean mass were significant, as well as increase in dihydrotestosterone levels. Complete semen analysis evaluated at the end of treatment showed significant enhancement in sperm concentration, motility and liquefaction time.
Protodioscin, the main phytochemical agent of the Tribulus genus, acts on sertoli cells, germ cell proliferation and growth of seminiferous tubules. This component is known to convert testosterone into dihydrotestosterone, which plays important roles in male attributes. Our results indicate the therapeutic use of Tribulus terrestris by men presenting altered semen parameters, and/or undergoing infertility treatment."

Effect of oral administration of Tribulus terrestris extract on semen quality and body fat index of infertile men. - PubMed - NCBI

Tribulus terrestris ameliorates metronidazole-induced spermatogenic inhibition and testicular oxidative stress in the laboratory mouse

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3195129/
"eTT exhibited protective effect against Cd-induced testicular damage. The protective effect appears to be mediated through inhibition of testicular tissue peroxidation by antioxidant and metal chelator activity and also, may be indirectly by stimulating the testosterone production from Leydig cells."

TreasureVibe

"The resultsof this study show that the aqueous extract of
Centellaasiatica impairs reproductive function in the male rat. Withregard to the ascending trend of adverse effects on semenparameters and testicular histology in conjunction withdose increase,
it clearly appear that the effects of Centellaasiatica may be mainly due to its direct deleterious impacts on the seminiferous tubules, according to the study byMahanem and Norazalia [43].'
The inductive effects of Centella asiatica on rat spermatogenic cell apoptosis in vivo

-You can counter that with combining it with Tribulus terrestris which can protect the reproductive system
http://www.academicjournals.org/article/article1380208438_Esfandiari and Dehghani.pdf
"The results of our
study showed that the thickness of wall of seminiferous
tubules were significantly increased in experimental
groups as compare to control groups
(P < 0.05) but, there
was no significant difference between MCG and IEG (P >
0.05). In addition, sperm was seen and leydig cells were
increased after using TT in immature rats."

"Our findings are essentially in agreement with El-tantawy et
al. (2007) and Gauthman et al. (2003, 2008) findings.
Significant increase was observed in weight of testes in
experimental groups as compared with control groups (P
< 0.05), but no significant difference between MCG and
IEG was observed (P > 0.05). Maybe, these result due to
increasing in function and compactness of cells of
seminiferous tubules and consequently we have an
increased excretion in these tubules. We concluded that
TT may cause early puberty and it may increase
testosterone levels and it can increase compactness of
spermatogenic cells and sperms."

"The aim of this study was to evaluate the effects of T. terrestris on semen quality and physiological parameters. Sixty-five men with abnormal semen evaluation were included in this study, in which they were prescribed with oral administration of Androsten® (250 mg of Tribulus terrestris dried extract per capsule). Body fat percentage, lean muscle mass gain, fluctuation in steroid hormone levels and all semen parameters were analysed during the period of treatment. The results demonstrated that decrease in the percentage of body fat and increase in lean mass were significant, as well as increase in dihydrotestosterone levels. Complete semen analysis evaluated at the end of treatment showed significant enhancement in sperm concentration, motility and liquefaction time.
Protodioscin, the main phytochemical agent of the Tribulus genus, acts on sertoli cells, germ cell proliferation and growth of seminiferous tubules. This component is known to convert testosterone into dihydrotestosterone, which plays important roles in male attributes. Our results indicate the therapeutic use of Tribulus terrestris by men presenting altered semen parameters, and/or undergoing infertility treatment."

Effect of oral administration of Tribulus terrestris extract on semen quality and body fat index of infertile men. - PubMed - NCBI

Tribulus terrestris ameliorates metronidazole-induced spermatogenic inhibition and testicular oxidative stress in the laboratory mouse

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3195129/
"eTT exhibited protective effect against Cd-induced testicular damage. The protective effect appears to be mediated through inhibition of testicular tissue peroxidation by antioxidant and metal chelator activity and also, may be indirectly by stimulating the testosterone production from Leydig cells."

Would Tribulus Terrestris block this negative effect of Centella Asiatica in a way that would actually work, with no consequences afterwards? Because it is alot of theory, one should be sure I think.

OP
General Orange
While both the ethanolic extract of centella asiatica and Vitamin E show concentration-dependent antioxidant properties in vitro, the combination was highly synergistic as the theoretically additive IC50 values (gained by adding the individual IC50 of vitamin E and centella asiatica and assuming they are complementary) was reduced from 594-15,394ng/mL (depending on extraction process) down to 14.9-584.2ng/mL (2-3% of the theoretical value).[145] This was thought to be due to centella asiatica recycling vitamin E in the same manner that Vitamin C does.[145]

TreasureVibe

While both the ethanolic extract of centella asiatica and Vitamin E show concentration-dependent antioxidant properties in vitro, the combination was highly synergistic as the theoretically additive IC50 values (gained by adding the individual IC50 of vitamin E and centella asiatica and assuming they are complementary) was reduced from 594-15,394ng/mL (depending on extraction process) down to 14.9-584.2ng/mL (2-3% of the theoretical value).[145] This was thought to be due to centella asiatica recycling vitamin E in the same manner that Vitamin C does.[145]

Very interesting! Perhaps worth a try.

TreasureVibe

If one would have taken Centella Asiatica already, would the negative effects on the reproductive system be chronic after ceasing administration? And if so, how would you reverse it?

OP
General Orange
If one would have taken Centella Asiatica already, would the negative effects on the reproductive system be chronic after ceasing administration? And if so, how would you reverse it?
Well, these experiments were setup to show antifertility actions, done with crude extracts with isothankuniside and thankuniside on mice or rats.

In contrast, it has been shown to protect lead induced damage to reproductive system.
Protective role of Centella asiatica on lead-induced oxidative stress and suppressed reproductive health in male rats - ScienceDirect

Centella asiatica has been mentioned in ancient ayurvedic text of the Indian system of medicine for its properties to promote intelligence. The objective of the present study was to investigate the beneficial effects of C. asiatica on lead-induced oxidative stress and suppressed reproductive performance in male rats. Significant decrease in the weights of testes and epididymis were observed in lead treated animals. Exposure to lead acetate significantly increased malondialdehyde levels with a significant decrease in the superoxide dismutase and catalase activities in the liver, brain, kidneys and testes of rats. Epididymal sperm count, viable sperms, motile sperms and HOS-tail coiled sperms decreased significantly in lead-exposed rats. Testicular steroidogenic enzyme activities also decreased significantly in lead-exposed rats.
No significant changes in the selected reproductive variables were observed in the plant extract alone treated rats. Whereas, co-administration of aqueous extracts of C. asiatica to lead exposed rats showed a significant increase in the weights of reproductive organs, reduction in lead-induced oxidative stress in the tissues and improvement in selected reproductive parameters over lead-exposed rats indicating the beneficial role of C. asiatica to counteract lead-induced oxidative stress and to restore the suppressed reproduction in male rats.

I think the use of normal full spectrum leaf extract should be oke when taken with meals.

OP
General Orange
4. Precautions
...In a very early paper in 1969 [92], the total saponoside fraction containing brahmic acid and its derivatives of the plant was stated to cause infertility in an experiment conducted on human and rat sperms. In consistency with this paper, Newall et al. also affirmed that infertility was observed in female mice after oral administration of C. asiatica [93].
Another result pointed out to the fact that chronic treatment of C. asiatica might induce a spontaneous abortion in pregnant women [94].
Since the plant may bring about a raise in blood sugar and lipid levels, diabetic and hyperlipidemic patients should consider taking preparations of C. asiatica [93].
Briefly, maximum duration suggested for the use of C. asiatica preparations is 6 weeks, and at least, a 2-week break is needed after every long duration use. Even though no drug interaction has been reported for this plant up to date, pregnant and breast-feeding women are suggested to avoid using this herbal medicine.

Mauritio

I think it seems like a promising herb i am going to try it for cognitive enhancement, falling asleep and general anti-stress benefits stemming from its pro-gaba , pro-dopamine and anti-cortisol effects.

Another herb that seems worth trying is magnolia bark extract . Its anti serotonergic and pro gaba .
Area-1255: How I Cured my OCD Naturally (With Herbal Remedies)

Mauritio

Six weeks later, how do you like it?
The first one didn't arrive at all.
So I ordered a second one from another vendor, it arrived today but I wasn't home . Got to pick it up from the post office.
So I'll be able to tell you more in a few days.

Edit: that was about magnolia bark.
I guess you asked about centella asiatica.
Didn't like it at all, gave me serotonin symptoms .

The first one didn't arrive at all.
So I ordered a second one from another vendor, it arrived today but I wasn't home . Got to pick it up from the post office.
So I'll be able to tell you more in a few days.

Edit: that was about magnolia bark.
I guess you asked about centella asiatica.
Didn't like it at all, gave me serotonin symptoms .

Gotu Kola feels like it slows brain function. I imagine it might be useful when one's in a highly stressed state, but right now it's a productivity killer.

Mauritio

Gotu Kola feels like it slows brain function. I imagine it might be useful when one's in a highly stressed state, but right now it's a productivity killer.
I think it acts on some serotonin receptors as an agonist ,so slowing down of the whole system could likely be an effect.
It might have also just upset my stomach as I get similar symptoms from that.

dabdabdab

I think it acts on some serotonin receptors as an agonist ,so slowing down of the whole system could likely be an effect.
It might have also just upset my stomach as I get similar symptoms from that.
I also remember developing vision problem and then pre diabetic symptoms after taking it twice a week.
I also developed wierd hard bumps deep in different part of my body.
it's dangerous, I don't recommend anyone to use those herbs which would require several liver and tissue cleanse to get rid of their metabolites. (if we don't want to deal with their problems for years)