62% of Maasai are lactose intolerant (What ... ?)

Apple

62% of Masai examined were malabsorbers of lactose as measured by the lactose tolerance test.

Does this mean that we never develop full lactose tolerance by forcing (2 quarts of) milk on ourselves since we never produce enough lactase enzyme in intestine ?
We merely train bacteria in colon to produce less gas and we don't get all the benefits of milk compared to those lucky lactose tolerant.
This implies that milk is a bad energy source for lactose intolerant people, unless we add sugar to it or switch to lactose free milk.

Ray Peat only said :
"When a group of lactase deficient people have been given some milk every day for a few weeks, they have adapted, for example with tests showing that much less hydrogen gas was produced from lactose by intestinal bacteria after they had adapted (Pribila, et al., 2000)."

PS: I've been forcing milk for 5 month ... no changes, 1 glass of milk gives me gas in several hours so it makes me question the idea of restoring milk tolerance. But I have always been able to tolerate a small amount of milk with coffee with no issues.

Last edited:

RPWPAV

Do you drink raw or pasteurised milk? A1 or A2? Cold or room temperature?

OP
Apple

Apple

Do you drink raw or pasteurised milk? A1 or A2? Cold or room temperature?
It is A1 milk from supermarket, I tried different brands, some of them are better than others , cold or warm... I can drink any
I don't have access to raw milk or A2 or goat milk...
I'm ok with lactose free milk...good stuff

But the point is people don't cure lactose intolerance in the full sence of the word but merely train bacteria to produce less gas. We can see that even among Maasai , more than half of them are lactose intolerant despite A2 cows.

Last edited:

RPWPAV

It is A1 milk from supermarket, I tried different brands, some of them are better than others , cold or warm... I can drink any
I don't have access to raw milk or A2 or goat milk...
I'm ok with lactose free milk...good stuff

But the point is people don't cure lactose intolerance in the full sence of the word but merely train bacteria to produce less gas. We can see that even among Maasai , more than half of them are lactose intolerant despite A2 cows.
The problem is that the milk is pasteurised. Raw milk has an enzyme called lactase that lets you digest it. Although it might take a few weeks for your body to adjust. Don't drink factory made chemically heated garbage.

Jam

The problem is that the milk is pasteurised. Raw milk has an enzyme called lactase that lets you digest it. Although it might take a few weeks for your body to adjust. Don't drink factory made chemically heated garbage.
?

OP
Apple

Apple

All milk, raw or pasteurized, contains lactose and can cause lactose intolerance in sensitive individuals. There is no indigenous lactase in milk. Raw milk advocates claim that raw milk does not cause lactose intolerance because it contains lactase secreted by “beneficial” or probiotic bacteria present in raw milk.
:)

Jam

All milk, raw or pasteurized, contains lactose and can cause lactose intolerance in sensitive individuals. There is no indigenous lactase in milk. Raw milk advocates claim that raw milk does not cause lactose intolerance because it contains lactase secreted by “beneficial” or probiotic bacteria present in raw milk.
:)
Where have I seen that before? Ah, yes: Raw Milk Misconceptions and the Danger of Raw Milk Consumption

"There is no indigenous lactase in milk."

Sorry ;)

So, remind me again why I should trust a single word coming out of the FDA?? This highly flawed study has been shredded to pieces over and over, not going to get into that here.

Yes, there is no endogenous lactase in milk, or very little of it. So what? If you've ever worked with raw milk, have let raw milk sour, have made cheese, cultured butter or yogurt, you'd know this to be completely irrelevant.

Every single gallon of the countless gallons of raw milk I've purchased throughout the years turns into sour milk in just a few hours on the counter during the summer heat, or roughly the same amount of time it stays in the gut at a similar temperature. Souring is the process in which the endogenous bacteria present in raw milk digest (a good percentage of) the lactose. As on the counter, so in the gut. On the counter, it eventually turns into yogurt, ricotta, or mozzarella, depending on how I process it, with not a single exogenous bacterial culture added.

Raw milk or not, helping this digestive process along is the degree of colonic adaptation to milk, and habitual milk drinkers have a good bit of it. This takes care of most of the potential digestive issues, lactase deficiency or not. Colonic adaptation can make or break a person's ability to successfully digest milk.

After all, how do millions of Mongolians, who mostly (95% of them) lack lactase, digest the high quantities of milk they drink? Raw or pasteurized, presence of absence of lactase, colonic adaptation plays a large role in the successful digestion of milk.

Last edited:
OP
Apple

Apple

Where have I seen that before? Ah, yes: Raw Milk Misconceptions and the Danger of Raw Milk Consumption

Sorry ;)

So, remind me again why I should trust a single word coming out of the FDA?? This highly flawed study has been shredded to pieces over and over, not going to get into that here.

Yes, there is no endogenous lactase in milk, or very little of it. So what? If you've ever worked with raw milk, have let raw milk sour, have made cheese, cultured butter or yogurt, you'd know this to be completely irrelevant.

Every single gallon of the countless gallons of raw milk I've purchased throughout the years turns into sour milk in just a few hours on the counter during the summer heat, or roughly the same amount of time it stays in the gut at a similar temperature. Souring is the process in which the endogenous bacteria present in raw milk digest (a good percentage of) the lactose. As on the counter, so in the gut. On the counter, it eventually turns into yogurt, ricotta, or mozzarella, depending on how I process it, with not a single exogenous bacterial culture added.

Raw milk or not, helping this digestive process along is the degree of colonic adaptation to milk, and habitual milk drinkers have a good bit of it. This takes care of most of the potential digestive issues, lactase deficiency or not. Colonic adaptation can make or break a person's ability to successfully digest milk.

After all, how do millions of Mongolians, who mostly (95% of them) lack lactase, digest the high quantities of milk they drink? Raw or pasteurized, presence of absence of lactase, colonic adaptation plays a large role in the successful digestion of milk.
I really don't have doubts that raw milk is good. But for most city dwellers like me raw milk is not accessible, it is even prohibited for sale in my country. So I can only wait until my system adjusts to digesting a common milk from a grocery store.
What surprised me that even among Maasai more than 60% of them are lactose malabsorbers. And their cows are mostly A2 cows.
So It is just a question of adapting intestine bacteria to proper utilize lactose

P

Peatness

Been drinking milk for 5 years I'm still lactose intolerant

Spartan300

Raw milk causes me no problems whatsoever. Even lactose free supermarket milk causes digestive distress.

I only wish a lower fat version of raw milk was available..

TheSir

Even lactose free supermarket milk causes digestive distress.
I'm lactose intolerant and lactose-free milk causes more problems than twice the amount of regular organic pasteurized milk. It's the galactose in it or something else that causes mayhem in the intestines.

Austin Resch

I really don't have doubts that raw milk is good. But for most city dwellers like me raw milk is not accessible, it is even prohibited for sale in my country. So I can only wait until my system adjusts to digesting a common milk from a grocery store.
What surprised me that even among Maasai more than 60% of them are lactose malabsorbers. And their cows are mostly A2 cows.
So It is just a question of adapting intestine bacteria to proper utilize lactose
May I ask which city/country you are based in? I am in Southern Ontario Canada and was able to source high quality raw A2 milk despite the ridiculous canadian dairy laws making illegal to find in grocery stores.

lvysaur

Lactose intolerance is just another euro myth.

If Maasai people are lactose intolerant, then everybody is cellulose intolerant and should cease eating all plant material--no more sugar, grains, veggies, or fruits.

What normies actually mean by "lactose intolerance" is simply lactase nonpersistence. The absence of lactase production.
This has almost zero relation to lactose intolerance. In the same way that most people have no issues from eating cellulose.

We merely train bacteria in colon to produce less gas and we don't get all the benefits of milk compared to those lucky lactose tolerant.
Ask yourself why, out of the thousands of societies that have drank milk for over 10,000 years, that only a select few (Pakistan, Ireland, and a few corners of Africa) reached 100% fixation on lactose digestion?

The answer is because lactose digestion has little effect on anything other than calories. The reason it evolved recently is because it gives you 50% more calories from the same glass of milk, and in a starvation situation (like the desert, or dark northern meadows with poor soil) it's useful. Lactase rates are higher in more arid regions like the Sahel and Somalia, while Tanzania (home of the Maasai) is lush and green. The Maasai simply don't need to digest lactose, there's plenty of other food around.

Some of the benefits of milk actually come from the bacterial-promoting nature of it. Milk is a prebiotic, and it mainly favors gram-positive bacteria (confirmed by Ray Peat). Just use common sense and drink the amount that doesn't cause you uncomfortable gas. In Japanese people (one of the most lactose "intolerant" ethnicities on earth), 80% of the population can tolerate a 200mL cup with no issue. Studies on the etiology of milk intolerance in Japanese adults - PubMed

I'm lactose intolerant and lactose-free milk causes more problems than twice the amount of regular organic pasteurized milk. It's the galactose in it or something else that causes mayhem in the intestines.
Galactose is known as "schleimzucker" in German. AKA "mucus sugar". Germans are mostly lactose-digesting (80%) ethnicity. It's possible that the galactose can cause problems in people regardless of their ability to digest lactose (which doesn't help if for some reason you have issues with the galactose)

I've personally noticed a few times that I'd develop mucus upon drinking milk. I don't know my lactase status, but for my ethnic group it's about 60% "tolerant" (aka lactase producing).

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals