What would you do to help dissolve thyroid nodules?

Cow

In case it eases your mind, when I was younger, I took thyroid daily for 6 months or so then stopped it because I did not feel good on it. I then developed nodules. Doctor did all these scary nuclear tests on my thyroid and nodules that I now regret, but it turned out it I just stopped my medication too abruptly. I have been on and off Armour thyroid for many years since, but I go low and slow now whether going on or coming off and I have never had nodules develop again.

OP
NatachaRose

NatachaRose

In case it eases your mind, when I was younger, I took thyroid daily for 6 months or so then stopped it because I did not feel good on it. I then developed nodules. Doctor did all these scary nuclear tests on my thyroid and nodules that I now regret, but it turned out it I just stopped my medication too abruptly. I have been on and off Armour thyroid for many years since, but I go low and slow now whether going on or coming off and I have never had nodules develop again.
Thank you so much that’s good to know! Maybe that’s what happened to me!

OP
NatachaRose

NatachaRose

I have no idea, didn't know about this stuff when I had nodules...

No to the iodine, you can really screw yourself up there. I know I did...I eventually had to cut out even iodized salt and iodine in multivitamins because they would make me feel hyperthyroid. I think taking iodine in the first place was always bad for me. For instance, after I had my first baby and was exposed to quite a lot of iodine all over my skin, I had my first go with thyroiditis, not knowing what was happening to me. My neck hurt and felt like something was choking me for a few weeks. I think I am more genetically prone than others to have problems with thyroid.

Quitting gluten can only do your thyroid favors. It really helped to calm down my thyroiditis. This is a great idea.

I would stay away from PUFA oils, skin will absorb them.

It probably is a good idea to supplement thyroid, it may give your thyroid a break and you say you are hypothyroid anyway. I wish I did that when I had nodules. Mine got so big I had a total thyroidectomy. My labs were always "good" so my doc never even considered to medicate me. I was miserable with hypothyroid symptoms and they all cleared up once I started taking thyroid hormone. My TSH at it's worst was 1.5, T4 was low and T3 jumped around.

But since you still have a thyroid it is more complicated. You likely have stress hormones compensating for hypothyroidism. It may take a slow, low start to thyroid hormone to feel better. The stress hormones will not go away the day you start supplementing thyroid hormones, and that may be what is making you feel "hyper", or you are taking too much to start.

When that happens, you may feel a little hyper for a few days or so. Just start low, slowly increase as you feel like you need to. For me that was 1.5-2 months per increase when I started to feel too sleepy to get through the day. This is because cortisol and adrenaline are slowly dropping off and thyroid hormone is taking over again. I noticed feeling a lot calmer within a week after starting meds, but it was a rough first few days.

Eat healthy, try NDT or another brand. No PUFA's, and try the no gluten perhaps. Also, you could go to bed early and sleep as much as you can, that definitely helped me. If you can't sleep maybe your sleep hygiene is out of whack. That means to lower the lights in the evening, no screens before bed and things like that. I hope this helps.
Thank you for your advice.
The castor oil pack is not the same as rubbing castor oil on your neck though and it worked on a lot of people and it helped me when I had histamine issues and was doing it on my liver so I am going to try that. I know about PUFAs being dangerous and I don’t eat any.
I make an exception for the castor oil pack.
For the progesterone I do not do well with it, I never was able to find a dosage that works from me so I’m staying away from it at the moment.
As for the iodine I tried it yesterday and had a bad reaction so my body does not want it anyway that’s a good thing I guess.
Sleeping as much as I can these days but I have a hard time staying asleep.
Thank you for your input, it is greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your advice.
The castor oil pack is not the same as rubbing castor oil on your neck though and it worked on a lot of people and it helped me when I had histamine issues and was doing it on my liver so I am going to try that. I know about PUFAs being dangerous and I don’t eat any.
I make an exception for the castor oil pack.
For the progesterone I do not do well with it, I never was able to find a dosage that works from me so I’m staying away from it at the moment.
As for the iodine I tried it yesterday and had a bad reaction so my body does not want it anyway that’s a good thing I guess.
Sleeping as much as I can these days but I have a hard time staying asleep.
Thank you for your input, it is greatly appreciated.
I had to look up the castor oil thing as I never heard of the packs. It's interesting but I can't say that I would use it. I used progest-e for 2 cycles and ended up retaining a lot of water. So I'm done with it too.

I get that you can't sleep, low thyroid will do that ironically. I got much relief from the insomnia when I got on thyroid meds.

If you don't do well with iodine, remember that seaweed has TONS of iodine in it, in case you are a sushi fan lol

OP
NatachaRose

NatachaRose

@NatachaRose @Kray

calcium-d-glucarate helps to rid the body of estrogen. It helps by binding to estrogen so it doesn't get reabsorbed. I use this, it doesn't seem to have any side effects.

It can actually make estrogen dominance worse. Not everyone do well on calcium d glucarate.
MB and aspirin are estrogen antagonists and it works better in my opinion.
Vitamin K is also an estrogen antagonist as well as vitamin E.

jay123

Years ago I had thyroid nodules. Then in 2003 I got a call from my brother who was a personal trainer who all of a sudden was going to the emergency room with heart palpitations. They just kept sending him home even though physically he was in great shape. Turns out he figured out on his own and got tested and had celiac. He called to tell me and asked if I had any symptoms. I was 31 at the time. I did have a lot of the symptoms. And the thyroid nodules I had developed in my mid 20s. Yep I had celiac. So obviously I quit gluten. Within three days I felt like a different person. I just ate meat, eggs, butter, fruits, potatoes, rice, and some veggies. There was not gluten free products at the time which was probably good because they are processed. And today I am 50 and I do not have any thyroid nodules. They are gone!

OP
NatachaRose

NatachaRose

Years ago I had thyroid nodules. Then in 2003 I got a call from my brother who was a personal trainer who all of a sudden was going to the emergency room with heart palpitations. They just kept sending him home even though physically he was in great shape. Turns out he figured out on his own and got tested and had celiac. He called to tell me and asked if I had any symptoms. I was 31 at the time. I did have a lot of the symptoms. And the thyroid nodules I had developed in my mid 20s. Yep I had celiac. So obviously I quit gluten. Within three days I felt like a different person. I just ate meat, eggs, butter, fruits, potatoes, rice, and some veggies. There was not gluten free products at the time which was probably good because they are processed. And today I am 50 and I do not have any thyroid nodules. They are gone!
Wow, this is really interesting!
Thank you for sharing!

It can actually make estrogen dominance worse. Not everyone do well on calcium d glucarate.
MB and aspirin are estrogen antagonists and it works better in my opinion.
Vitamin K is also an estrogen antagonist as well as vitamin E.
Interesting, has this been your experience calcium-d-glucarate? I have tried it starting at low doses graduating to fairly high doses and I feel like it does the job well without side effects.

My beef with aspirin is that it constipates...and that is really bad for getting rid of estrogen, so I gave it up.

I have never tried MB, what are your experiences with it?
This makes so much sense, this is so validating to me! I also have a family member struggling with heart palps, this is so helpful for me. I also had them on and off.

I had huge nodules and I always felt better when I quit gluten, unfortunately I cycled back and forth with gluten/gluten free and my nodules were so big I had to get it all removed. But one was over 3cm when I first found them, so it was pretty advanced for me.

I don't know if I have celiac, and don't they have to sample your gut to know?

Kray

What a great story to share! I know the feeling. When I gave up gluten grains, my health dramatically improved. I am curious-- was corn ever a problem with you? Do you still include it in your diet without any problems? I still don't eat regular gluten grains (I do indulge in sprouted grain cereals and breads occasionally, and some alternate gf flour), but I do eat a fair amount of organic corn- masa harina which replaces regular flour in recipes, masa corn chips, organic corn tortillas treated with lime. Any other foods you have found to "flare" any gut symptoms, or other red flags from the past? I ask because allthough I was never diagnosed with celiac, my doc once upon a time gave me IBS diagnosis, allergy-tested positive for wheat, tomatoes, and ragweed (wheat's cousin, i.e. hayfever- which I already knew based on years of springtime suffering). When I learned about my allergies, one golden thing he shared was get rid of any wheat/gluten-containing grains in your diet, especially diligent during allergy season (ragweed), because eating and breathing the allergen gives a double-whammy to the immune system. When I completely banned wheat one spring, I experienced the first year of no hayfever. Being outdoors was heaven.

When I learned about my allergies, one golden thing he shared was get rid of any wheat/gluten-containing grains in your diet, especially diligent during allergy season (ragweed), because eating and breathing the allergen gives a double-whammy to the immune system. When I completely banned wheat one spring, I experienced the first year of no hayfever. Being outdoors was heaven.
Wow! I will try see if this works next spring! I have horrible hayfever. I have noticed that I didn't have allergies when I was pregnant, my guess is those pregnancy hormones keeps the immune system from being overactive.

jay123

What a great story to share! I know the feeling. When I gave up gluten grains, my health dramatically improved. I am curious-- was corn ever a problem with you? Do you still include it in your diet without any problems? I still don't eat regular gluten grains (I do indulge in sprouted grain cereals and breads occasionally, and some alternate gf flour), but I do eat a fair amount of organic corn- masa harina which replaces regular flour in recipes, masa corn chips, organic corn tortillas treated with lime. Any other foods you have found to "flare" any gut symptoms, or other red flags from the past? I ask because allthough I was never
diagnosed with celiac, my doc once upon a time gave me IBS diagnosis, allergy-tested positive for wheat, tomatoes, and ragweed (wheat's cousin, i.e. hayfever- which I already knew based on years of springtime suffering). When I learned about my allergies, one golden thing he shared was get rid of any wheat/gluten-containing grains in your diet, especially diligent during allergy season (ragweed), because eating and breathing the allergen gives a double-whammy to the immune system. When I completely banned wheat one spring, I experienced the first year of no hayfever. Being outdoors was heaven.
I had masa harina pancakes made with skim milk this morning and drizzled honey over them. I have not experienced any problem with corn. I would have to say anything iron fortified is a big problem. I even thought about that in conjunction with the flour because of the iron fortification. Also and I'm sure of it the pesticides in relation to wheat harvesting. With allergies, when I ate wheat and as a teenager I used to get massive sinus infections. Especially during allergy season. I have not had a sinus infection in decades. I still get minor allergies but nothing like when I ate wheat. It really did numerous things toe looking back now that I know.

Kray

I had masa harina pancakes made with skim milk this morning and drizzled honey over them. I have not experienced any problem with corn. I would have to say anything iron fortified is a big problem. I even thought about that in conjunction with the flour because of the iron fortification. Also and I'm sure of it the pesticides in relation to wheat harvesting. With allergies, when I ate wheat and as a teenager I used to get massive sinus infections. Especially during allergy season. I have not had a sinus infection in decades. I still get minor allergies but nothing like when I ate wheat. It really did numerous things toe looking back now that I know.
Thanks for your reply. Good to hear on the corn. I don't have iron-fortified AFAIK; most "flours" I use are bulk, not packaged/processed. I can really relate to the sinus issues, too.

Other than gut/sinus symptoms did you ever experience skin issues from gluten back in the day?

jay123

Thanks for your reply. Good to hear on the corn. I don't have iron-fortified AFAIK; most "flours" I use are bulk, not packaged/processed. I can really relate to the sinus issues, too.

Other than gut/sinus symptoms did you ever experience skin issues from gluten back in the day?
Yes. Dermatitis herpetiformis. I had it across the bottom of my back. I thought it was heat rash at first but it wasn't. My brother had it on his elbows. I know other people who had it below the eyes across the cheeks too. Both my brother and I had scalp pustules which I think happens to a lot of people and I think it's a reaction. It went away after not eating gluten anymore.

Kray

Yes. Dermatitis herpetiformis. I had it across the bottom of my back. I thought it was heat rash at first but it wasn't. My brother had it on his elbows. I know other people who had it below the eyes across the cheeks too. Both my brother and I had scalp pustules which I think happens to a lot of people and I think it's a reaction. It went away after not eating gluten anymore.
Very interesting. Do you think even non-gluten grains can be problematic, such as rice, if one has allergies to wheat family? Trying to figure out if it's just starches in general, or wheat-related grains that might still cause problems.

Thanks-

Z

Zsazsa

My sister had tiny calcified points in her thyroid (not nodule), which went away after a year of low carbing. I don't think the low carb diet per se did the trick, but watching carefully the glycemic index and the glycemic load of the meals is key for metabolic health.

jay123

Very interesting. Do you think even non-gluten grains can be problematic, such as rice, if one has allergies to wheat family? Trying to figure out if it's just starches in general, or wheat-related grains that might still cause problems.

Thanks-
I'm sure some people do have problems with certain starches in general. I have not noticed a problem with myself with masa harina, potatoes (as long as they are well cooked), and rice.

Kray

I'm sure some people do have problems with certain starches in general. I have not noticed a problem with myself with masa harina, potatoes (as long as they are well cooked), and rice.
Great, thanks for clarifying. Do you use gf flours or grains at all?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals