What would you do to help dissolve thyroid nodules?

NatachaRose

I started doing red light therapy a few months ago and I also started taking desiccated thyroid because I’m slightly hypo but I had to stop because it eventually made me hyper but now I’m back to being hypo and I have nodules…
I have read somewhere that red light can make nodules worse so I’m going to stop and maybe that’s why I now have nodules? Because of the red light on my whole body including the thyroid gland everyday for 20 minutes.
They are type 3 and only a few millimeters but I’m worried.
I’m already taking MB so I’m wondering if I should continue or switch to aspirine instead? And add some E vitamin as well as lots of C vitamin and glycine?
Should I supplement Iodine and quit gluten?
I was also thinking about doing some castor oil pack on my thyroïd, would it help?
What do you all think?
Also, is it a good idea to supplement desiccated thyroid when you have nodules?

Last edited:

Kray

I started doing red light therapy a few months ago and I also started taking desiccated thyroid because I’m slightly hypo but I had to stop because it eventually made me hyper but now I’m back to being hypo and I have nodules…
I have read somewhere that red light can make nodules worse so I’m going to stop and maybe that’s why I now have nodules? Because of the red light on my whole body including the thyroid gland everyday for 20 minutes.
I’m already taking MB so I’m wondering if I should continue or switch to aspirine instead? And add some E vitamin as well as lots of C vitamin and glycine?
I was also thinking about doing some castor oil pack on my thyroïd, would it help?
What do you all think?
Also, is it a good idea to supplement desiccated thyroid when you have nodules?
Great questions, and I hope you will get some helpful feedback. I wiish there was something I knew to tell you. I also just started NDT and have done redlight, though very intermittently. Only a few days ago, I came upon a comment elsewhere on the forum about NDT and autoimmune reaction. Thank you for sharing.

OP
NatachaRose

NatachaRose

Great questions, and I hope you will get some helpful feedback. I wiish there was something I knew to tell you. I also just started NDT and have done redlight, though very intermittently. Only a few days ago, I came upon a comment elsewhere on the forum about NDT and autoimmune reaction. Thank you for sharing.
Thank you for your answer! I’m going to research NDT and autoimmune reactions then, it’s pretty scary, I didn’t know that!

Kray

Thank you for your answer! I’m going to research NDT and autoimmune reactions then, it’s pretty scary, I didn’t know that!
I wish I could remember where I read it. It wasn't from a study IIRC, it was someone's comment, so I would trust but verify. I'd really appreciate anything you find if you would share here. Best to you-

OP
NatachaRose

NatachaRose

I wish I could remember where I read it. It wasn't from a study IIRC, it was someone's comment, so I would trust but verify. I'd really appreciate anything you find if you would share here. Best to you-
I will!
And I found the post but the information was not conclusive in my opinion.
Thank you

I have no idea, didn't know about this stuff when I had nodules...
No to the iodine, you can really screw yourself up there. I know I did...I eventually had to cut out even iodized salt and iodine in multivitamins because they would make me feel hyperthyroid. I think taking iodine in the first place was always bad for me. For instance, after I had my first baby and was exposed to quite a lot of iodine all over my skin, I had my first go with thyroiditis, not knowing what was happening to me. My neck hurt and felt like something was choking me for a few weeks. I think I am more genetically prone than others to have problems with thyroid.

Quitting gluten can only do your thyroid favors. It really helped to calm down my thyroiditis. This is a great idea.
I would stay away from PUFA oils, skin will absorb them.
What do you all think?
Also, is it a good idea to supplement desiccated thyroid when you have nodules
It probably is a good idea to supplement thyroid, it may give your thyroid a break and you say you are hypothyroid anyway. I wish I did that when I had nodules. Mine got so big I had a total thyroidectomy. My labs were always "good" so my doc never even considered to medicate me. I was miserable with hypothyroid symptoms and they all cleared up once I started taking thyroid hormone. My TSH at it's worst was 1.5, T4 was low and T3 jumped around.

But since you still have a thyroid it is more complicated. You likely have stress hormones compensating for hypothyroidism. It may take a slow, low start to thyroid hormone to feel better. The stress hormones will not go away the day you start supplementing thyroid hormones, and that may be what is making you feel "hyper", or you are taking too much to start.

When that happens, you may feel a little hyper for a few days or so. Just start low, slowly increase as you feel like you need to. For me that was 1.5-2 months per increase when I started to feel too sleepy to get through the day. This is because cortisol and adrenaline are slowly dropping off and thyroid hormone is taking over again. I noticed feeling a lot calmer within a week after starting meds, but it was a rough first few days.

Eat healthy, try NDT or another brand. No PUFA's, and try the no gluten perhaps. Also, you could go to bed early and sleep as much as you can, that definitely helped me. If you can't sleep maybe your sleep hygiene is out of whack. That means to lower the lights in the evening, no screens before bed and things like that. I hope this helps.

also if i were you I would work on getting rid of excess estrogen. That means having healthy poops everyday lol. Seriously, when I was my sickest I was so constipated. Thyroid nodules may be aggravated simply by too much estrogen in your system. Everyone here talks about cascara, but I never tried it. I just use psyllium husk in a glass of water. It absorbs toxins, like estrogen, and helps to move things out ;). That in and of itself should help a lot. Otherwise, estrogen just recirculates into your bloodstream when the poopy stays inside too long.

Kray

@NatachaRose and if you really want get nuts, maybe Progest-e could help. I would rub that right on my neck, not the castor oil
Great posts @ThazMYchocolate, sound advice from experience, and very helpful. How does one choose between a T3/T4 product vs. NDT? If NDT, is it best to have a measurable amount in grains (rather than raw dessicated that gives no equivalency)? Can you recommend any products that helped you?

On the constipation issue, I really appreciate a different approach than just CS, or even extra magnesium. I've taken up to 1500mg/day of Mg orally and it can still take a day or 2 to work. I will try the psyllium husk. Not to question your choice, but do you know if it is a Peaty thing?

Thank you-

Great posts @ThazMYchocolate, sound advice from experience, and very helpful. How does one choose between a T3/T4 product vs. NDT? If NDT, is it best to have a measurable amount in grains (rather than raw dessicated that gives no equivalency)? Can you recommend any products that helped you?

On the constipation issue, I really appreciate a different approach than just CS, or even extra magnesium. I've taken up to 1500mg/day of Mg orally and it can still take a day or 2 to work. I will try the psyllium husk. Not to question your choice, but do you know if it is a Peaty thing?

Thank you-
I am not sure if it is peaty. Peat wasn't against doing things that work for you personally. Everyone is different. It's Metamucil basically but without the flavor and sweetener. You can mix it with juice or milk (i sometimes use a splash of milk or juice)

I mean Peat is soo against grains and starches, but yet he says that masa harina is okay to eat. You have to eat, have to poop. BTW I have noticed popcorn really works too.

Different forms of Magnesium will have faster/slower effects on moving the bowels, however, I wouldn't try to use high amounts of electrolytes too often.

Kray

I am not sure if it is peaty. Peat wasn't against doing things that work for you personally. Everyone is different. It's Metamucil basically but without the flavor and sweetener. You can mix it with juice or milk (i sometimes use a splash of milk or juice)

I mean Peat is soo against grains and starches, but yet he says that masa harina is okay to eat. You have to eat, have to poop. BTW I have noticed popcorn really works too.

Different forms of Magnesium will have faster/slower effects on moving the bowels.
Thanks for quick response- so true your point on individual needs, and he never tried to put that on anyone.

To clarify on type, do you use whole husk or powder form, and when during day do you take it? I don't want to be awake during the night, if you know what I mean!

Thanks for quick response- so true your point on individual needs, and he never tried to put that on anyone.

To clarify on type, do you use whole husk or powder form, and when during day do you take it? I don't want to be awake during the night, if you know what I mean!
It doesn't move this much faster...it just moves things along normal speed and it moves them well. It is smooth and solid and not out of schedule...am i really saying this? lol I take it away from my supplements, for me I take it in the evening, but you can take it anytime.

Kray

It doesn't move this much faster...it just moves things along normal speed and it moves them well. It is smooth and solid and not out of schedule...am i really saying this? lol I take it away from my supplements, for me I take it in the evening, but you can take it anytime.
Do you take powder form or whole husk?

How does one choose between a T3/T4 product vs. NDT? If NDT, is it best to have a measurable amount in grains (rather than raw dessicated that gives no equivalency)? Can you recommend any products that helped you?
I don't know...they are all so different. I have heard that NDT is not as reliable. I take Synthroid (t4 only) and I do well. It is gentler because your body has to convert it. Some people don't convert well and need the T3, but i would caution against that stuff to start.

Kray

I don't know...they are all so different. I have heard that NDT is not as reliable. I take Synthroid (t4 only) and I do well. It is gentler because your body has to convert it. Some people don't convert well and need the T3, but i would caution against that stuff to start.
Great feedback, thank you so much for sharing your experience. Most helpful.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals