What Supplements Can I Take To Minimize Damage From Accutane?

febreezehuffer

I plan to get on accutane soon, because I've had a long battle with acne and nothing I do seems to completely clear my skin. I just want to get rid of my acne for good and go on with my life, instead of constantly having to fight an uphill battle.

I fear the side effects that I could potentially have, but I'm willing to take the risk if that means I can finally have clear skin for once. My dad had to be treated with accutane when he was around my age to be free of acne, and he to this day hasn't suffered sexual side effects or any other issues (and his acne was worse, so that means he needed a higher dose than what I will need to treat mine). Although I want to lessen the possibility of negative consequences from accutane with supplements, if possible.

What supplements should I take while I'm on accutane?

Before you take the risk of accutane, you may want to look into B-5 supplements (panthothenic acid) for acne as there have been a lot of people that has successfully resolved it but using this alone. Also, look into taking zinc. Try an elimination diet, ie stop consuming dairy and see if that helps. Please try everything you can before you take the poisonous accutane. Do an internet search for 'Accutane ruined my life'

TAG145

Forum Supporter
I plan to get on accutane soon, because I've had a long battle with acne and nothing I do seems to completely clear my skin. I just want to get rid of my acne for good and go on with my life, instead of constantly having to fight an uphill battle.

I fear the side effects that I could potentially have, but I'm willing to take the risk if that means I can finally have clear skin for once. My dad had to be treated with accutane when he was around my age to be free of acne, and he to this day hasn't suffered sexual side effects or any other issues (and his acne was worse, so that means he needed a higher dose than what I will need to treat mine). Although I want to lessen the possibility of negative consequences from accutane with supplements, if possible.

I know you are looking into this, but please really reconsider Accutane. I was on it many years ago out of desperation and was a big mistake. I understand how acne can impact ones life. The worst part of taking such a severe drug is that it did not permanently resolve the problem but yet you are left with the horrible side effects. Pantothenic acid in high doses is a wonderful option, as mentioned above. Good luck to you-in whatever you decide.

OP
F

febreezehuffer

Before you take the risk of accutane, you may want to look into B-5 supplements (panthothenic acid) for acne as there have been a lot of people that has successfully resolved it but using this alone. Also, look into taking zinc. Try an elimination diet, ie stop consuming dairy and see if that helps. Please try everything you can before you take the poisonous accutane. Do an internet search for 'Accutane ruined my life'
I think I have tried everything, except maybe for high doses of B-5. I have acne all over my back and face, and no matter what I do, the acne always returns. Also, I always wake up with my forehead covered in a thick layer of oil. I feel disgusting and I just want something that will finally get rid of my acne for good.

I know you are looking into this, but please really reconsider Accutane. I was on it many years ago out of desperation and was a big mistake. I understand how acne can impact ones life. The worst part of taking such a severe drug is that it did not permanently resolve the problem but yet you are left with the horrible side effects. Pantothenic acid in high doses is a wonderful option, as mentioned above. Good luck to you-in whatever you decide.
Currently taking large amounts of Vitamin A to see if that does anything for my acne, approximately 250,000iu in the morning and 100,000iu before bed. It seems to be working so far because my face isn't becoming ridiculously oily anymore and my acne is going away. I'll try taking pantothenic acid since that's one thing I haven't tried yet for my acne, I'm quite desperate.

Could you elaborate more on the lasting side effects you experienced while taking accutane?

TAG145

Forum Supporter
I think I have tried everything, except maybe for high doses of B-5. I have acne all over my back and face, and no matter what I do, the acne always returns. Also, I always wake up with my forehead covered in a thick layer of oil. I feel disgusting and I just want something that will finally get rid of my acne for good.

Currently taking large amounts of Vitamin A to see if that does anything for my acne, approximately 250,000iu in the morning and 100,000iu before bed. It seems to be working so far because my face isn't becoming ridiculously oily anymore and my acne is going away. I'll try taking pantothenic acid since that's one thing I haven't tried yet for my acne, I'm quite desperate.

Could you elaborate more on the lasting side effects you experienced while taking accutane?
Lasting side effects for me are terrible night vision and horribly dry lips and eyes. It makes it difficult to wear contacts. Other things that have resolved but went in for awhile was recurrent UTI’s. I never had one before taking. I don’t think there is a lot of data to say all the possibilities but for me, I developed hypothyroidism after taking. I took it when I was 28 yo and was 5’9” 120 lbs. by 30 I started rapidly gaining weight and up to 153 by 31 yo and diagnosed with hypothyroid. Maybe look on some forums for others who have taken it. The worst of it all is that the acne came back because for me it is a hormonal issue. Pantothenic acid is out there as a very viable option and I believe very safe at 10,000 mgs. I was taking 5 x 1000 mg pills for awhile without a problem. It absolutely helps with reducing oily skin and acne. I understand being desperate to get rid of acne. I just wish I would’ve understood the imbalance in my body better before taking it.
B5-great info and links to Dr Lit-Hung Leung study in article:
http://www.drdach.com/site/mobile?url=http://www.drdach.com/Acne_B5.html#2702

czecha

Have you tried a fruit fast to starve the bacteria in your lower gut, then repopulate it?

redsun

Zinc and a good b-complex will help convert the vitamin A you take in into its activated form and improve your skin quicker. Do not take high dose B5. Some people have actually gotten bad permanent side effects from B5 as well. Take a B complex + Zinc instead. Vitamin C will help inflammation and skin health as well, but best to get from high vitamin C fruits. Also seafood is great for anti-inflammatory effects.

Taking vitamin A and converting it in the body to active forms is a million times safer than accutane. Be wary of B5 as well. You can take a little extra B5 with a B complex and wouldn't be problematic, just dont go over the top on the B5.

Last edited:

LLight

Knockout of Cyp26a1 and Cyp26b1 during post-natal life causes reduced lifespan, dermatitis, splenomegaly and systemic inflammation in mice

"In adults, inhibition of Cyp26a1 and Cyp26b1 increases atRA concentrations and signaling. However, post-natal knockout of Cyp26a1 does not cause a severe phenotype. We hypothesized that Cyp26b1 is the main atRA clearing Cyp in post-natal mammals. [...]
There were significant changes in vitamin A homeostasis demonstrating the paramount role of Cyp26b1 in regulating retinoid homeostasis in post-natal life."​

Altered Gene Expression in Circulating Immune Cells Following a 24-Hour Passive Dehydration

"Significantly upregulated genes after 24 hours of fluid restriction:
CYP26B1 -> log2FoldChange = 7.72
p- value (adjusted) = 0.00021828"​

But in immune cells, not in the liver.

Also:

Ethanol enhances retinoic acid metabolism into polar metabolites in rat liver via induction of cytochrome P4502E1

Interestingly, the enzyme CYP2E1 could be upregulated by restricting water: Regulation of Cytochrome P450 2E1 Under Hypertonic Environment Through TonEBP in Human Hepatocytes - PubMed

CYP3A4 enzymes also seems to be increased by water restriction (1, 2) and could be involved in retinoic acid metabolism:

"CYP3A4 is most likely the enzyme that is responsible for the increased clearance and decreased circulating at-RA concentrations in adults undergoing chronic treatment with the enzyme inducing antiepileptic drugs phenytoin and carbamazepine [99]. In infants and children treated with phenytoin, phenobarbital, carbamazepine and ethosuximide, the plasma concentrations of at-RA were more than 70% lower than in untreated children, suggesting that these drugs significantly induce at-RA metabolism [100]." (The role of CYP26 enzymes in retinoic acid clearance)​

Could a water restriction/dry fasting habit be helpful regarding vitamin A metabolism issues (e.g. hypervitaminosis A)?

I've seen some testonies about dry fasting helping with acne.

How old are you? I took it and have experienced a lot of side effects.

Murtaza

i took accutane for three months when i was 17. it cleared my acne but i was suicidal for about six months after i stopped the treatment. i lost my gist for life and i lost my motivation to do anything. i failed my exams that year and ruined some great friendships too, but i didnt care. i didnt care because life for me became meaningless. i was in this state for the next two years and only after that i slowly started to become my old self.
i never got acne again but its not worth it. if i could go back id never take it even if that means i have to live with cystic acne for the rest of my life. so please for the love of god dont do this to yourself. i wouldnt want anyone to go through what i had to. i hope you find something else that works for you.

i took accutane for three months when i was 17. it cleared my acne but i was suicidal for about six months after i stopped the treatment. i lost my gist for life and i lost my motivation to do anything. i failed my exams that year and ruined some great friendships too, but i didnt care. i didnt care because life for me became meaningless. i was in this state for the next two years and only after that i slowly started to become my old self.
i never got acne again but its not worth it. if i could go back id never take it even if that means i have to live with cystic acne for the rest of my life. so please for the love of god dont do this to yourself. i wouldnt want anyone to go through what i had to. i hope you find something else that works for you.
+1
I went through the same thing as far as suicidal thoughts and depression. I wouldn't touch it again with a ten foot pole.

stoic

Accutane is a dangerous drug with side effects much worse than the problem it is meant to address.

I took it when I was 18 and lost my sexual function, general motivation, and drive, as well as ruining my physique (it gave me gynecomastia, hair loss, permanently bloated belly, red eyes, pale skin as unable to tan, just to name a few).

7 years and many health protocols later, some symptoms have fortunately improved, however I am also starting to get acne again, so I am sort of back to square one.

Just like finasteride, this is an anti-androgenic drug that might (temporarily) solve a cosmetic issue whilst getting rid of your masculinity in the process.

I understand that acne might seem to you like the worst thing in the world right now (it certainly was for me), but having a functioning brain and **** is more important.

Kram

Agreed with the other responses, I would avoid it like the plague. Took it when I was 18 and 19 and it pretty much ruined everything about my mental and physical health (and life). Have you had a metabolic/hormonal panel done to make sure your hormones are balanced (especially prolactin, estrogen, thyroid etc.)? Have you tried fixing your gut health and eating a clean diet? IMO, acne is simply a symptom from something else that is out of whack with your metabolic health.

If you are older (mid 20s at least), may be safer to try if you are desperate. But I would try low doses (20mg daily maybe) and monitor symptoms closely.

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals