What do you use to clean yourself after a bowel movement on the toilet?

What do you use to clean yourself after a bowel movement on the toilet?

• Toilet Paper

Votes: 11 55.0%
  • Water (through use of a bidet/shower/etc.)

Votes: 8 40.0%
  • Other

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters

HumanLife

Toilet paper contains BPA and polyfluoroalkyl substances (PFAS - also known as "forever chemicals") used to preserve shelf life so it does not decompose and provide a better wipe for rectal hygiene. With these substances being known as estrogen mimickers, and Ray Peat being against all kinds of estrogen in excessive amounts and staying in our physiology, it would stand to reason that he would also be against the use of toilet paper, with alternatives like organic, chemical free bamboo toilet paper being the exceptions.

Taking the above into account, it would only be logical as a follower of Ray Peat's work to not use the commercially available toilet paper. The BPA in toilet paper could be absorbed in the prostate and potentially affect the activation of the 5-AR enzyme in converting testosterone to DHT. Considering the global beliefs of the men in countries like Africa being more masculine in general compared to the west who are seen as more feminine, and their more common use of bidets instead of toilet paper, there may be truth in the harmfulness of toilet paper and how it's negatively affecting us.

Last edited:

xeliex

Forum Supporter
Toilet paper contains BPA and polyfluoroalkyl substances (PFAS - also known as "forever chemicals") used to preserve shelf life so it does not decompose and provide a better wipe for rectal hygiene. With these substances being known as estrogen mimickers, and Ray Peat being against all kinds of estrogen in excessive amounts and staying in our physiology, it would stand to reason that he would also be against the use of toilet paper, with alternatives like organic, chemical free bamboo toilet paper being the exceptions.

Taking the above into account, it would only be logical as a follower of Ray Peat's work to not use the commercially available toilet paper. The BPA in toilet paper could be absorbed in the prostate and potentially affect the activation of the 5-AR enzyme in converting testosterone to DHT. Considering the global beliefs of the men in countries like Africa being more masculine in general compared to the west who are seen as more feminine, and their more common use of bidets instead of toilet paper, there may be truth in the harmfulness of toilet paper and how it's negatively affecting us.
I've always used tp then washed on a bidet before coming to the states. In the states, I half shower after using tp. I still rely on TP but wonder if washing as such immediately afterwards reduces the harms of the harmful chemical contact.

To ditch the TP and just do water just doesn't sound too hygenic to me due to the risk of spreading fecal material to other objects through water splashes. Perhaps it's because I don't always have ghost wipes, but I still feel the need to at least reduce the colored content before washing it away with water.

Nokoni

Cottonelle wipes. I've moved many times and in the early days of flushable wipes, among the considerations for where to move next was local availability of the wipes (pre-Amazon times). Much like access to high-speed internet later on. It was a very successful product, however, so it didn't take too long for it to become available most everywhere.

bloooeh

I use waterwipes. Same wipes I use for my kids. Throw it in the trash. I follow it with tp to dry.

AlaskaJono

I use a modified 'Asian' technique of washing with water, and then dry mostly with TP. Big plastic cup holds about 14 -16 oz = almost half litre water, and pour and use left hand. I learned because I had to when in India many years ago. It is most hygienic. Also squatting that way to do the BM (Bowel movement) is usually more direct and clean anyway. Yes, you gotta wash your hands well afterwards, but one should be doing that regardless of the post-poo cleanup style.

Bidet 'technology' is fantastic, and the Japanese do make a bidet/toilet seat combo than can be retro fitted on normal western toilets. Nice. As in excellent job!

Lots of problems with many TPs... as @HumanLife stated above. Check out How Toxic Is Your Toilet Paper? Investigation of Brands .... Bamboo, and Who gives a Crap (popular, AND USELESS imo) have lots of forever chemicals. Seems recycled is NOT the way to go with TP at the moment because of production practices.

:M :B.

I've been using PlantPaper | Tree Free & Septic Safe Bamboo Toilet Paper
Slight poison.
Here is the email they wrote to me when I asked about any poisons in the product:

We’ve worked hard with our manufacturer to eliminate all chemicals and additives that we don’t consider ‘clean label’ or wouldn’t want our children (or ourselves) to be exposed to.

Regarding glue/binders: Bentonite (natural clay) is used as a coagulant (binder) and helps reduce the need for additional additives. We also use a minuscule quantity of a chemical called polyacrylamide in the paper making process that helps to disperse fibres evenly through the pulp. In higher quantities, acrymalides are believed to be carcinogenic, though the FDA chooses not to regulate them. (They show up in all sorts of consumer goods in the American market, including tissue paper, lotions, and more.) The EU (who are always considerably more cautious) does regulate the use of this chemical, and the amount we use falls well below EU guidelines.

I hope this helps! Have a wonderful weekend!

My best,
Toluwani

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals