What Do You Think Of. Fish Gelatin

AJC

Hey all, so been wanting to start implementing some gelatin in my diet, but I don't eat meat...so, I was on the hunt for an alternative source. And then I found fish gelatin. Before I pull the trigger on some potentially very very tasty (?) protein, I'd like the RPF community's input. Any experiences or ideas with this kind of product?

Here's the link to the page.

Technical Information

aguilaroja

... I don't eat meat...so, I was on the hunt for an alternative source. And then I found fish gelatin. Before I pull the trigger on some potentially very very tasty (?) protein.... Any experiences or ideas with this kind of product?
Technical Information
I experimented individually with different sources of gelatin years back, after Dr. Peat raised it in conversation. I did not use the Norland product. I could not confirm in individual experience that any fish gelatin product brought the consistent benefits I experience with good quality animal gelatins.

Except for an occasional taste, I have not sample fish gelatin since. The animal gelatins have provided good benefits. (As a side note, positive experiences were less clear with the Knox brand gelatin from neighborhood groceries, compared to other products. But I did not “blind” myself in observing effects from each product.)

I would remain concerned about high seafood sourced intake due to heavy metal intake concerns. The Norland technical data is somewhat reassuring, especially for individual use in the short term.

If you decide to use fish gelatin, a report of your experience would be appreciated.

http://www.greatlakesgelatin.com/consumer/docs/MidwestLabReportHeavyMetals.pdf
https://www.greatlakesgelatin.com/business/GelatinSpecs_TypeB_Hide_as_of_April2016.pdf

OP
AJC

AJC

I experimented individually with different sources of gelatin years back, after Dr. Peat raised it in conversation. I did not use the Norland product. I could not confirm in individual experience that any fish gelatin product brought the consistent benefits I experience with good quality animal gelatins.

Except for an occasional taste, I have not sample fish gelatin since. The animal gelatins have provided good benefits. (As a side note, positive experiences were less clear with the Knox brand gelatin from neighborhood groceries, compared to other products. But I did not “blind” myself in observing effects from each product.)

I would remain concerned about high seafood sourced intake due to heavy metal intake concerns. The Norland technical data is somewhat reassuring, especially for individual use in the short term.

If you decide to use fish gelatin, a report of your experience would be appreciated.

http://www.greatlakesgelatin.com/consumer/docs/MidwestLabReportHeavyMetals.pdf
https://www.greatlakesgelatin.com/business/GelatinSpecs_TypeB_Hide_as_of_April2016.pdf

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, the metals was my main concern. I'll have to do some research to see how closely the amino acid makeup of the two sources of gelatin compare. I wonder if the difference in benefits could have been due to different amino acid profiles.

aguilaroja

...I'll have to do some research to see how closely the amino acid makeup of the two sources of gelatin compare. I wonder if the difference in benefits could have been due to different amino acid profiles.

IIRC, animal (beef) gelatin has slightly higher glycine, proline and hydroxy-proline content. When I sampled fish gelatin, I did not try eating proportionally more of it than of animal gelatin to get, say, extra glycine.

My individual responses to using supplemental animal gelatin and using supplemental glycine have been similar. Dr. Peat in the past has cautioned against extended use of single amino acids, so I have used gelatin much more often. I have not used proline and hydroxy-proline as single form supplements.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals